TOMI CH4: Blue Screen of Death

edited November 2009 in Game Support
I downloaded the latest chapter of TMI a few days ago, but I've been having this really odd problem with it. Here's what happened:

The first time I ran the game I got to the menu just fine, and proceeded to turn the detail down a bit (I have a pretty old system). I set the screen res to the native res of my panel (1680x1050) and turned the detail level down to around 3. This is where the problems began.

I restarted the game, the company logos displayed, I then get the familiar swoosh through the jungle, the menu very briefly appears and then the whole machine will BSOD as follows:

bsod.jpg

On restarting Windows will give me the following error screen when interrogated for more detail:

win_msg.jpg

This has happened every time I've attempted to run the game, and a bit of forum skimming turned up another post where someone was saying that Detail Level 3 was doing something strange. I am already running the latest drivers and have already tried re-installing the game and still get the BSOD problem on the first run. I even tried deleting the prefs.prop file in the hope that the game would run with the default values, but no dice (it still ran at 1680x1050 when first starting, leading me to believe it had remembered the old settings).

Is there any way of manually editing the configuration file to get things back to their default value and then work from there?

Cheers!

-Stu

System spec is:
AMD AthlonXP 3200+
2gb RAM
GeForce 6600GT AGP graphics card
Full DxDiag output is here: http://www.zen103503.zen.co.uk/DxDiag.txt

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Some stuff at the "DirectX Components" part seems to be missing.

You should run the DirectX updater or if that doesn't help the full DirectX download.
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for the speedy reply :)

The DirectX web setup said that there was nothing to be updated and would just exit, but I ran the full setup and reinstalled all components just to be sure and the BSOD is still present.

I saved another DxDiag if it's any help:

http://www.zen103503.zen.co.uk/DxDiag2.txt
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    StuartB wrote: »
    The DirectX web setup said that there was nothing to be updated and would just exit, but I ran the full setup and reinstalled all components just to be sure and the BSOD is still present.

Nothing has changed there either. That's strange. Normally there's a lot of entries like these too:
    Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll: 9.05.0132.0000 English Final Retail 2/19/2009 18:20:41 473600 bytes
    Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 5.04.0000.3900 English Final Retail 2/19/2009 18:20:37 2676224 bytes
    Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 9.04.0091.0000 English Final Retail 2/19/2009 18:20:37 2846720 bytes
    Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 9.05.0132.0000 English Final Retail 2/19/2009 18:20:38 563712 bytes

I'll ignore that for now, because i don't know what to do in that situation that doesn't require a windows reinstall.

I don't know if we'll find something else, but we can still try some possible solutions.

Do the other episodes work?

Remove all non essential USB devices.

It might also be a hardware problem. If you know how, you should try removing single memory modules until it runs (or you ran through them).

You could try slightly older driver versions.

I also attached a prefs.prop.
    It has a 1024x768 resolution, quality 1 and is in windowed mode.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm afraid the error you posted is about the most general Bad Thing(TM) that can happen to Windows, according to the documentation:

"0x0000000D - An exception not covered by some other exception; a protection fault that pertains to access violations for applications"

All I can say is that no application itself should ever be able to cause this; it's up to drivers and other kernel-mode code to do it instead - so make sure you have the latest drivers for your hardware installed, uninstall any unneccessary utilities that run in the background (which might have installed additional drivers) and/or reinstall Windows.
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Nothing has changed there either. That's strange. Normally there's a lot of entries like these too[...]
    Those are .NET assemblies that allow you to use Direct3D from .NET code - if he doesn't have a reasonably new version of the .NET framework installed I doubt those would get installed.

But the full DirectX installer seemingly not updating components is rather fishy... I'd really recommend a Windows reinstall in such a case...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Leak wrote: »
    Those are .NET assemblies that allow you to use Direct3D from .NET code - if he doesn't have a reasonably new version of the .NET framework installed I doubt those would get installed.

Ah, thanks. :)
This discussion has been closed.