Can't get TOMI to work :(

edited November 2009 in Game Support
Wanted to play the demo of TOMI to see if it's any good, but I never got past the Lucas Arts / telltales Games screen. As soon as it fades, the programme crashes (Windows: "the programme encountered an error and must be closed"). I would've bought it straight away if I wouldn't have seen so many posts about problems with the game...now I'm glad I didn't ;)

Here are my specs
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900ZT [MSI, 128MB RAM]
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz) (tried to lower the resolution, to no avail. also tried the prefs.prop Will posted - also to no avail)
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0011.7516 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 5/3/2008 05:46:00, 6108160 bytes

CPU: Athlon XP 3000+
RAM: 1024MB
DX: 9.0c

Running on Windows XP SP3.

Edit: whoops, just noticed I posted in the wrong section, mods please move the thread.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Have you tried updating your graphics drivers? It looks like the nVidia drivers you have are from sometime last year, and I know they've seen updates since then.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    That sounds like some strange bug i found once. Try starting the game after disconnecting from the internet.

What Internet Explorer Version is Installed on your system?

I looked for graphics drivers and there are only slightly newer ones for your card.
    You can download them here.

You should also run the DirectX Updater.

If you give us a complete dxdiag we can look deeper into it.
    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to RapidShare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
  • edited November 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    That sounds like some strange bug i found once. Try starting the game after disconnecting from the internet.

What Internet Explorer Version is Installed on your system?

I looked for graphics drivers and there are only slightly newer ones for your card.
    You can download them here.

You should also run the DirectX Updater.

If you give us a complete dxdiag we can look deeper into it.
    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to RapidShare and copy the link to the file into a new message.

still cannot get the game to work and cannot upload to rapid share so this is the dxdiag

operating system windows 7 starter 32 bit (6.1,build 7600)
    system toshiba model NB200
    bios ver 1.00parttbl4
    processor n/a
    memoery 1024mB ram
    page file 1152 used 885 mb availble1

directx 11
    display
    name mobile intel 945 express chipset family
    type GMA 950
    total memory 251 MB
    display 32 bit 60hz
    monitor generic PNP Monitor
    drivers
    main driver igdumd32.dll
    version 8.15.10.1867
    whql logo'd yes
    ddi version 9Ex
    driver model WDDM1.0

sound drivers
    name RTKVHDA.sys
    version 6.00.0001.5904
    logod yes
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    timben10 wrote: »
    still cannot get the game to work and cannot upload to rapid share so this is the dxdiag

This is about the issue mentioned here i assume?

Sadly most of the interesting parts of the dxdiag are missing in your post. Can you post the hole thing or attach it here?

Also, i missed to ask that earlier. What exactly happens when you try to start the game?
  • edited November 2009
    This is about the issue mentioned here i assume?

Sadly most of the interesting parts of the dxdiag are missing in your post. Can you post the hole thing or attach it here?

Also, i missed to ask that earlier. What exactly happens when you try to start the game?

sorry to be a pain please can you talk me through the zip file procedure?

once i launch the game there is a delay of about three miutes then the screen goes blank before eventually failing to open and has to be stopped after about ten minutes..
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    sorry to be a pain please can you talk me through the zip file procedure?

once i launch the game there is a delay of about three miutes then the screen goes blank before eventually failing to open and has to be stopped after about ten minutes..

Let's not forget it is a netbook. They have week Processors and Graphics and are not made for gaming. Further, Intel Graphics are not supported by TTG.
    If we can get it to work it will be quite slow even in the lowest quality setting.

You should be able to zip a file using these instructions.

I also attached a prefs.prop. It contains some settings for the game, which could make it start. Instructions below.

Replacing the file prefs.prop
    Download the attached prefs.prop and unzip it.
    It has a 1024x768 resolution, quality 1 and is in windowed mode.

In "My Documents/Telltale Games/" you'll find a folder for the episode.
    Replace the existing prefs.prop with the one you downloaded.
  • edited November 2009
    Let's not forget it is a netbook. They have week Processors and Graphics and are not made for gaming. Further, Intel Graphics are not supported by TTG.
    If we can get it to work it will be quite slow even in the lowest quality setting.

You should be able to zip a file using these instructions.

I also attached a prefs.prop. It contains some settings for the game, which could make it start. Instructions below.

Replacing the file prefs.prop
    Download the attached prefs.prop and unzip it.
    It has a 1024x768 resolution, quality 1 and is in windowed mode.

In "My Documents/Telltale Games/" you'll find a folder for the episode.
    Replace the existing prefs.prop with the one you downloaded.

thank you
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    thank you

You're welcome.

Run the DirectX updater,

then try installing these newer drivers:

- Intel Graphics Driver

- Realtek HDA Driver
  • edited November 2009
    You're welcome.

Run the DirectX updater,

then try installing these newer drivers:

- Intel Graphics Driver

- Realtek HDA Driver

directx did not update as my version is up to date
    intel graphics did not update, it says the download was not valid for this computer
    realtek did install
    still no monkey island :(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    still no monkey island :(

The prefs.prop did not change anything either?
    I guess i'm at my wits' end.

I just looked for the post of someone else running ToMI on a netbook. I didn't remember that it was that bad. Basically you wouldn't have fun playing it on that netbook anyway.
    Someone else had to wait 20 minutes until the game even started on his netbook...

Next time i'll remember...
  • edited November 2009
    The prefs.prop did not change anything either?
    I guess i'm at my wits' end.

I just looked for the post of someone else running ToMI on a netbook. I didn't remember that it was that bad. Basically you wouldn't have fun playing it on that netbook anyway.
    Someone else had to wait 20 minutes until the game even started on his netbook...

Next time i'll remember...

that wont unzip...:( looking like having to borrow someones elses pc to play it....or wait for the cd but then again i doubt that will work either
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    that wont unzip...:( looking like having to borrow someones elses pc to play it....or wait for the cd but then again i doubt that will work either

That's odd. If you still want to try it you should be able to unzip it with 7-zip. Instructions are on the same page as above and the program can be downloaded here.

The DVD will not change the games requirements, therefore it's unlikely that it runs better, if it runs.
This discussion has been closed.