ToMI Chapter 4 crashes!

2»

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Should I do the Hashcheck with the new reinstalled Windows or should I go back to my old Windows?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    lawler wrote: »
    Should I do the Hashcheck with the new reinstalled Windows or should I go back to my old Windows?

What matters is which installer file you check. That should ideally be the one you used to install the game in the new windows.
  • edited November 2009
    Do you mean the steam installer exe (I don't have this file anymore) or which file do you mean? Sorry, if I am asking stupid questions^^
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Do you mean the steam installer exe (I don't have this file anymore) or which file do you mean? Sorry, if I am asking stupid questions^^

Ah, sorry. I was stupid. I forgot you are using steam.
    Follow these instructions to verify your game cache files instead.
  • edited November 2009
    Steam says: "All files successfully validated."
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Steam says: "All files successfully validated."

That's good. I think now it's time to try exchanging hardware components until it works.
  • edited November 2009
    I just remembered something that could cause my computer to crash. My CPU fan is connected with a fan controlling unit (Thermaltake), not directly with the mainboard. Sometimes I get an error message, when I'm booting (1-2 times a week). It says something like: fatal system error, chassis intruded, CPU fan fail. If I hit the reset button the computer boots without an error but sometimes I have to reset my computer 2 or 3 times until it works but that's very rare.
    I googled this error message a few month ago and everyone was saying that it's not a real problem and I should live with this error message. The other option would be to turn off the error message reporting in the BIOS but if I would have a real problem with my CPU I wouldn't be able to see it. So I chose to live with the problem.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    I just remembered something that could also cause my computer to crash. My CPU fan is connected with a fan controlling unit (Thermaltake), not directly with the mainboard.

How old is that mainboard?
    Maybe your CMOS battery is failing, making your BIOS act strangely.

You could also check the manual and make sure that the Chassis Intrusion Jumper is set correctly. Looks like your mainboard believes it should receive a signal instead.

You might also want to install the latest BIOS.
  • edited November 2009
    My mainboard is 5 years old.

I will update my BIOS as soon as I can find a diskette or is it possible to update the BIOS with a cd-r?

According to the ASUS instruction (http://support.asus.de/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?no=546&SLanguage=de-de) about updating your BIOS you will need a diskette.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    I will update my BIOS as soon as I can find a diskette or is it possible to update the BIOS with a cd-r?

It can be done via CD, but you should be able to simply use asus live update.
    For creating a suitable boot cd i use a procedure similar to this one.
  • edited November 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    It can be done via CD, but you should be able to simply use asus live update.

OK, then I will use ASUS Update. I thought that I have to do it like ASUS is showing in their tutorial. It's strange that they are not recommending the easy updating procedure via ASUS Update.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Let me know if it worked :)
  • edited November 2009
    The good news is that the update worked. I got an error message after the first reboot (cmos checksum error). So I loaded the BIOS default settings and everything was working properly after the next reboot.
    The bad news is that the game is still crashing :(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Which leaves you with troubleshooting by exchanging hardware.
  • edited November 2009
    Unfortunately..
    I think the exchanging will take a while because I just have much older hardware at home but I think I can get some hardware for testing from friends.

Thanks again for your great help. I really appreciate it. I have never gotten so much useful help in a forum. I am now able to check my whole computer and I think I am going to use this knowledge in the future.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    You're welcome.
    Keep in mind that Windows doesn't like if you exchange the Mainboard. The sysprep utility is supposed to help with that, though.
    I would try every other important hardware before that though, also because they might be easier to access. A reasonable sequence would be graphics card, memory, sound card, PSU, CPU, ... , Mainboard.
This discussion has been closed.