VGA requirements for max quality

edited December 2009 in Game Support
Hi there,
I'm considering buying a VGA card soon and I wonder how much graphics power is required to play current Telltale Games like ToMI at maximum quality and 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 resolution smoothly - and most importantly, without noticeable mouse lag.

On the homepage only the minimum requirements are mentioned, so I'd appreciate reading some experiences, especially with Radeon cards...

Comments

• edited November 2009
    julian wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I'm considering buying a VGA card soon and I wonder how much graphics power is required to play current Telltale Games like ToMI at maximum quality and 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 resolution smoothly - and most importantly, without noticeable mouse lag.

On the homepage only the minimum requirements are mentioned, so I'd appreciate reading some experiences, especially with Radeon cards...

I've an Radeon HD 4550 which is a really cheap card to pick up these days, I play it on quality 9 at 1360x768 and it runs grand. In 1920x1080 mouse lag becomes noticeable.

Best I can give ye bud
  • edited November 2009
    Make sure you get one with an interface that your motherboard is compatible with. For example: AGP, PCI Express, or PCI Express 2.
  • SegSeg
    edited November 2009
    Hi there,
    I'm considering buying a VGA card soon
    I do want to correct your terminology which should help you in your shopping. What you're looking for is a "GPU" or Graphics Card. The term VGA itself is a specific format and resolution, not the hardware.

If you can post what the computer's make/model is, I can look up the GPU connection (AGP, PCI-E, etc) the computer can take.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi there,

I have a Geforce 275 GTX and I can run it at maximum quality at 1680x1050 with no problems at all, for what it's worth.
  • edited November 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    If you can post what the computer's make/model is, I can look up the GPU connection (AGP, PCI-E, etc) the computer can take.
    Well, actually the GPU is to a graphics card what a CPU is to a mainboard or a motor is to a car - just a part of it... :D
  • edited November 2009
    @Seg: Yeah, the term "VGA card" was a bit vague, especially since I'll get my Master's in computer science next summer :) Well, I blame my administrator for teaching me this bad habit; he also refers to every kind of graphics card as "VGA-Karte".

Thanks to JedExodus and Pale Man for posting your experiences. I think I'm too impatient to wait any longer - a big online retailer just started a one-day offer for the Radeon 4770. That's actually a bit too much power for my needs, but I guess you can't go wrong for 69 Euros. And I can rest assured that I don't have to replace my PSU with a bigger one...
  • edited December 2009
    By the way: I received the Radeon HD4770 a few days ago and every TTG game runs perfectly at 1650x1080. Yes, there is still minimal mouse lag left, but it's much more playable now than with my Radeon 4200 onboard.

I was also pleasantly surprised that even Sapphire's manual referred to the card as a "VGA card" ;)
This discussion has been closed.