Sam and Max Speech problem

edited December 2009 in Game Support
Hi, I'm playing Sam and Max episode 1. I've set the language to German. And now the speech clips never finish, the sound just cuts out mid sentence and it jumps to the next part of the conversation. Very frustrating!
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2009
    Hey Jim,

What version of the game are you playing? Where'd you get it from: Steam, Wii retail (what country are you in?), European retail?
  • edited November 2009
    Hi

I bought the game through Steam. The game is up to date with the latest update.

I'm in the UK (England) if that's relevant at all

I've tried redownloading the game files, updating directx and my graphics drivers, and disabling sound hardware acceleration.

It seems almost as if the animations are over before the sound bytes are, and consequently it skips to catch up.

Thanks!

Jim

PS
    AMD Athlon64 3500+
    Nvidia BFG 7800gt
    2GB RAM
    XP SP2
    Onboard sound (Asus A8N SLi Deluxe)
    edited November 2009
    Hey Jimbo,

Could you try something for me? Go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\ and then pick one of the Sam & Max episodes of your choice to fiddle with. Then delete the prefs.prop file in that folder and try starting up that episode. Does that fix it for you?
  • edited December 2009
    I tried this and now the game boots to a black screen, the window is responsive, but just black and silent, the steam overlay still functions, but the actual game doesn't seem to run at all.
    Thanks
    Jim
    edited December 2009
    Try hitting alt+enter in that state
  • edited December 2009
    I´ve got the same problem here.

I bought my game via Steam in UK and switched it to german language. I am located in Germany. Most sentences from Max are cut off. The last word is missing very often. Its not real fun to play the games this way. I tried it with 101 and 102 episodes, same error.

I`ve got Windows 7 64 Bit. I did update DX9 manually. I tried to delete the prefs.prop but after that my game starts in windowed mode with a black screen. Alt + Return makes it just a full-black-screen. I had to reacquire the missing prefs.prop to make the game working again.
  • edited December 2009
    Are there maybe new audio drivers for your Soundcard?
  • edited December 2009
    There have been newer drivers but they dont affect this error. It doesnt matter which version i use.

When i use english speech everything is fine. Its definitely not a driver issue. German speech is cut off if its longer than the original english speech. For me its a issue with the game itself.
    edited December 2009
    No, this would definitely not be their problem. Guys I'm going to do some poking around when I get back in to the office on Monday. Sorry about the trouble!
    edited December 2009
    Out of curiosity, had you guys bought the game before we offered the new language packs? or did you buy it once it became localized.
  • edited December 2009
    I bought it some days ago. German language was the reason why i did not buy it earlier.

Update: I just tried to run the game on my Dell Latitude D830. Same problem. English speech runs flawless, german speech is cut off. This really looks like a general problem with the localization too me. Atleast with the games sold via Steam.
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks for looking into it.
    Full screening and vice versa didn't change the black screen. Although I'm guessing this is probably a problem with my PC unrelated to the speech problem.
    I bought the games after seeing the new language packs had been added (I'm English but I figured the games would help me with my German).
    edited December 2009
    Ok, temporary solution for you guys until I can get this fixed Steam-side: Ok, open up the pack data folder of the episode in question. For example C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sam and max episode 4\Pack\data

Then go down and find the file SamMax104_english.ttarch and delete it. In fact, delete all of the ttarch files that aren't German just in case.

Hopefully, when you boot up the game again, it will just work without any lines being cut off. If it doesn't though, please let me know.
  • edited December 2009
    language packs? what language packs? on steam? :confused:
  • edited December 2009
    Cyphox wrote: »
    language packs? what language packs? on steam? :confused:

There are non-english audio-versions of Season 1 on Steam now.

Okay. I had no problem with the german audio (except that I still prefere the english version) but I bought the season on Steam long before these packs were included.
  • edited December 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Then go down and find the file SamMax104_english.ttarch and delete it. In fact, delete all of the ttarch files that aren't German just in case.

Works for me. Thank you so far.
    edited December 2009
    Ok, awesome. I'll try to get Steam to fix it on their end so that you don't have to do this manually. Thanks for the verification!
This discussion has been closed.