Game won't launch

edited January 2007 in Game Support
Windows XP, AMD 64 3000 processor with NVidia 6600 GT with newest drivers, and newest DirectX 9.0c...

Game runs first time I run it, after install. But once I quit, then every time I run the program, and click Launch Sam and Max, nothing happens. It seems as if I never clicked the launch. No error message... just nothing happens.

The first time I run it is a little buggie, with some wierd box popping up like right side top of the screen... flickering, but game plays well, and voice all works. but then after that won't run. I already paid for the entire season..., and love the origional. Really want to play the entire episode.

Help please.

Also noted, when I uninstall the game, it doesn't delete everything... Even after reboot it still says that data.ttarch is running and that I can not delete it. Will not let me reinstall, as says "Error opening file for writing."

Continuation... On 5th reboot it let me manually delete everything. I downloaded this version of the game from Downloads.com as when I try the version from your website it goes from like 70 percent to complete, in 1 second, but then errors out when i launch the file. I am retrying the download from your website... if this doesn't work I will try different mirror sites...

Okay your download works.. but now same problem. Nothing happens when I click Launch.

WHY IS THIS DOING THIS!

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    Hi Kusho,

Please try deleting prefs.prop from your game folder before running the game. That will force the game to start up with low settings and might prevent this problem. Let us know if it helps.
  • edited November 2006
    no fix.

I got the game to run on cold install lastnight after redownloading the game from your website... but after the initial run, the game will not rerun. Doesn't matter if I delete the prefs.prop. when I try to relaunch, that file is recreated, but nothing happens at all when I click "Launch" The Sam & Max Launch program closes, but the game never starts up. No programs running even on Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
    edited November 2006
    I'm going to have to forward this one on to our tech team. I'll let you know if I find anything out from them.
  • edited November 2006
    Now Nov 23... noone else having my problem???

Would like to atleast finish the first episode... but game still won't run.
    edited November 2006
    Not yet, I'm afraid. I'll check with the tech guys again.

If you can't get it working, we can refund your money for the season.
    edited November 2006
    Do you have a virus protection running that could be interfering? If the virus scanner is trying to scan the program while it's running, that could cause this sort of problem.
  • edited November 2006
    I got it to run on a fresh reboot... going to do more testing to see if I can isolate what program is causing it to not run.

and yes, run semantic antivirus...

military release

but got episode 1 finished...

and no don't want a refund.... like the game too much...

just trying to help it not be so buggy.
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got it to work.
  • edited January 2007
    Okay, got activation key and entered it. Now S&Max screen comes up to launch game (without an X in right corner to close it) but when hit launch I get a Windows error message. I tried deleting the prefs.prop file but this didn't help. Here is the info on my system. Do I have to be a computer whiz to play this game???

System Information
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: micronpc.com
    System Model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.0GHz
    Memory: 256MB RAM
    Page File: 202MB used, 414MB available
    Windows Dir: D:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0150&SUBSYS_00161545&REV_A3
    Display Memory: 64.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7189 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 4/1/2005 16:16:00, 3980288 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 4/1/2005 16:16:00, 3454656 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4210-11CF-E06A-1C2002C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x0150
  • edited January 2007
    At least you got an error message. Mine will give me no notification it is trying to do anything. just first program will close out when i click launch, and then nada.

what is the error message. guessing they will need that.
    edited January 2007
    Yup, knowing the error message would help.

I have a Geforce2 at home. I'll check which drivers I'm using and let you know - maybe that'll make a difference.
  • edited January 2007
    Well I can't copy the error message by right clicking or highlighting. Not being a comnputer whiz all I know is that it is a windows message that says that Sam & Ma~1.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. The details of the error report are code oxc0000005 if this makes any sense.
This discussion has been closed.