ToMI 5: problem

edited February 2010 in Game Support
I can download and install it, but it just refuses to launch, I even redownloaded and installed it again... I crash as soon as I click launch.

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Same here. I click Launch Game, a white rectangle appears onscreen presumably while resolution is being adjusted, then CRASH.

Help please!
  • edited December 2009
    me three
  • edited December 2009
    I had some minor problems with activation, but after manualy typing my username and password it worked...
    Did other episodes worked well? If so, try to redownload the game...
  • edited December 2009
    Likewise here. I am on a slightly underpowered computer, but I had thought I'd be able to run it if I set things to the lowest graphics settings. Can't even get it to start up. Get that white rectangle, then crash.

I did manually type in my username and password for the activation, there wasn't any problems with that part, so I don't think that's the problem here.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2009
    Do previous episodes still work for you? If not, have you checked to see that your color depth is set to 32bit? Have you tried updating graphics drivers or directx?
  • edited December 2009
    I don't have the previous episodes of ToMI on this computer, and it'll take me quite some hours to download them (currently on holiday in Costa Rica, or else I wouldn't be trying to use this computer), however I have been playing other Telltale games on this system just fine, most recently Sam & Max Season 2 earlier today.

The colour depth was set to 16 bit, however changing to 32 bit doesn't seem to have made any impact, and I haven't got it running on that. I did get the game to run, once, while it was still on 16 bit, using the attached prefs.prop that I found in another thread on the forum, however it crashed when I went to switch it to full screen, 800x600 and quality 1 (file was labelled as quality 1, but going into the settings showed it as quality 6). Graphics drivers and DirectX are both fully up to date. I've attached the DxDiag for reference.
  • edited December 2009
    It's the same here... I had no problems playing any of the other chapters, but if it matters, I played those on Win Xp, while I've been trying to run Chapter 5 on Win 7. When i try to run it, the white rectangle that is supposed to be something like an auto-run appears, and I constantly hear a sound as if I was constantly clicking my mouse. After some time, if I try to close it, the script error appears, the one with the message...

Would you like to continue running scripts on this page? No matter if i click yes or no, it's still the same. :S
  • edited December 2009
    I got it to play for a few minutes, but it got so bad with lag I had to quit. :( And my graphics card is good, so it's not that...

And yes, I can go back and play Chapter 4 without a problem.
    And yes, I am on Windows 7.
    And yes, I tried re-downloading it.
  • edited December 2009
    Same here, except with me its blue screen not white rectangle, all other episodes have worked fine
  • edited December 2009
    just a thought, do i have to have all other episodes installed for ep5 to work?
    edited December 2009
    You don't have to install the other episodes, but if they are still working and this one isn't, that tells us something. If the old episodes are not working now, then it is a sign that something on your system has changed. Try updating drivers and DirectX and turning off as many programs as you can (including virus scanner if necessary).

Archaic, your graphics card is a bit underpowered for our games (as are all Intel built-in graphics card). You can try updating your graphics drivers here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2301&DwnldID=16835&lang=eng

NickClick, that's... different. It could be that we are using a whole crapton of fullscreen effects going on in this episode, and that something about it is causing your computer to be unhappy with this episode more than previous ones. Have you tried turning down the graphics quality setting to see if that improves things?
  • edited December 2009
    Will wrote: »
    NickClick, that's... different. It could be that we are using a whole crapton of fullscreen effects going on in this episode, and that something about it is causing your computer to be unhappy with this episode more than previous ones. Have you tried turning down the graphics quality setting to see if that improves things?

Okay, here's my problem. It works half the time, and then the other half it will just freeze/slow down beyond playability. It's just weird. :confused:
    edited December 2009
    It's possible that it could actually be a like a graphics card problem. In that you may be overheating or something. Do you have any other graphics intensive games you could try?
  • edited December 2009
    It's possible that it could actually be a like a graphics card problem. In that you may be overheating or something. Do you have any other graphics intensive games you could try?

I can run Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod (similar to Half Life 2 graphics) on high. Ehhh, whatever. It seems to only be a problem with this episode, so it's fine. I'll be done with it soon, anyway. :)
  • edited December 2009
    When I click the "rise of the pirate god" icon on my desk top, it takes FOREVER for the initial intro screen to come up. It also slows down my PC drastically.

After the intro screen does load, i click "Play Game" and then it takes FOREVER for the actual game to load.

Once the game starts everything is fine and normal.

I've never had this problem with any other telltale game, and i just finished a strongbad episode today and it was fine. I've had no trouble with the rest of TOMI either.
  • edited December 2009
    TomI 5 crashes on start before opening any window (well, except of standard "Telltale Games has encountered a problem and needs to close"). Previous episodes run fine. When I click "For more information about this error" it says that the error is in dinput8.dll module. When I've been installing the game I let it to verify DirectX version. I am running XP SP2 on pretty powerful computer.
    edited December 2009
    ummm, with the dinput8.dll, do you have any other USB devices plugged into your computer besides a mouse and keyboard? Any other controllers or wacom tablets or anything?
  • edited December 2009
    I had quite a few USB devices plugged into this computer, mostly printers and scanners. No other controllers, though. I disconnected all of them and nothing changed. I am using a standard Logitech Trackball mouse.
  • edited December 2009
    If I use MS Visual Studio debugger it shows the crash as

"Unhandled exception at 0x6ce26324 (dinput8.dll) in MonkeyIsland105.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x670f1c90."
    edited December 2009
    Ok, let's try a different approach. Could you try turning everything else off on your computer? To Boot Clean in Windows XP

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer
  • edited December 2009
    Well, I do not have any intention to monkey (no pun intended) with windows services on perfectly working computer to "fix" a single game. I've installed it on my second computer and it runs, albeit terribly slow. This is core 7 CPU computer running Windows 7 with GeForce 8400 GS video card. I can not imagine why the first cutscene of ToMI 5 runs like 3 fps and afterward mouse lags so badly that game is unplayable.
  • edited December 2009
    Anyone has a solution to the script error that appears on the splash screen? I tried to install any of the episodes, as I have them all, but the same "Do you want to continue running scripts on this page" error appears, and it doesn't even show the "launch game" button, so I can't run it. I had no problems of this kind on Win XP, but on my new Win 7, I can't get any episode to run because of the same problem.
    edited December 2009
    Hey gmy, actually those steps specifically avoid touching any windows services and just deals with non-windows ones. As for the win7 system, it's possible that you don't have the right video card drivers installed? If that's the case, it could be trying to run most of the game through software rendering rather than hardware.

At any rate, you can always lower the graphics quality in game to increase performance, but it definitely seems like something else is going on there.
    edited December 2009
    Nightwalker, do you have IE up to date on the win7 machine? Do you have any heavy duty virus scanner or firewall programs that may be blocking javascripts? If so you might want to try turning those off.
  • edited December 2009
    I already have the latest version of IE, and I don't have some heavy duty virus scanner... Anyway, thank you for your answers, I just hope I manage to solve this problem some day... It would have been far better would it have happened some episodes earlier, not now, when I was so impatient waiting for the last episode :).
  • edited December 2009
    so is there any solution for this? It takes forever to load! Its never happened for any other telltale game, so I'm assuming its not a problem with my computer.
  • edited December 2009
    You don't have to install the other episodes, but if they are still working and this one isn't, that tells us something. If the old episodes are not working now, then it is a sign that something on your system has changed. Try updating drivers and DirectX and turning off as many programs as you can (including virus scanner if necessary).

All other 4 episodes are still working, episode 5 bluescreens my comp before main menu appears.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    All other 4 episodes are still working, episode 5 bluescreens my comp before main menu appears.

Can you make a photo of the bluescreen or write down the technical data?

A dxdiag log might also give us some insight.

Please give us some more information:
    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited December 2009
    I have this same problem-is it because I have an intel processor or because I am using an acer netbook? I haven't tried yet downloading on my old laptop, which is what I downloaded eps 1-4. Maybe Acers don't have strong enough video cards? I am computer stupid so any input would help. Thanks.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    I have this same problem-is it because I have an intel processor or because I am using an acer netbook? I haven't tried yet downloading on my old laptop, which is what I downloaded eps 1-4. Maybe Acers don't have strong enough video cards? I am computer stupid so any input would help. Thanks.

Which of the problems do you have exactly?

Netbooks are usually designed to be economical, which means a slow processor and slow graphics chip for a low price.
    Not surprisingly running ToMI on a netbook is slow as hell.
    We can try to get it running though, if you attach a dxdiag log as described in the post above.
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks-now worries, I will just play it on my other computer. I bought the netbook for work, but thought I'd try to download the game. :-) Thanks!
  • edited February 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Can you make a photo of the bluescreen or write down the technical data?

A dxdiag log might also give us some insight.

Please give us some more information:
    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.

Bit of a late reply but im still dying to play part 5, here's the dxdiag info.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Bit of a late reply but im still dying to play part 5, here's the dxdiag info.

Here are some newer Graphics Drivers and Audio Drivers for your system.
    Also run the DirectX Updater.
This discussion has been closed.