ToMI episode 5 Install problem

edited December 2009 in Game Support
during installation, I receive an error that says

Error opening file for writing:
c:\Program File\Telltale games\Tales of monkey island\Rise of the pirate god\MonkeyIsland105.exe

after skipping this, the exe icon for the game will not function.
what do I do?!

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2009
    How much free hard drive space do you have? It's possible that your computer doesn't have enough space to unpack the game.
  • edited December 2009
    My hard drive is only half full!
    edited December 2009
    Are you running as Administrator? Also, you could just have a corrupted download. Could you try clearing your temporary internet files and redownloading the game?
  • edited December 2009
    I did both of those and made it successfully through installation.

now the error when I launch the game is:

monkeyisland105.exe- Bad Image

c:\windows\systems32\d3dx9_41.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error
    edited December 2009
    Woah, that's... not right. What operating system are you using?
  • edited December 2009
    darn windows vista
    edited December 2009
  • edited December 2009
    I'm having the exact same issue as the original poster:

Error opening file for writing:
    c:\Program File\Telltale games\Tales of monkey island\Rise of the pirate god\MonkeyIsland105.exe.

I am running Vista Home Premium 64 with a butt load of disc space left, and the other 4 episodes work just fine. I tried the DX updater but I already have the latest DirectX version so it won't update.

I also ran a disc cleanup program that came with my McAfee security center which cleaned up some registry files, etc.

I have deleted and re-downloaded the program several times, and tried running the setup as Administrator, all to no avail.

Suggestions? Thanks!
  • edited December 2009
    Ill never get to find out how the game ends
  • edited December 2009
    I'm having the same problem on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, with over 200 GB free on the hard drive.
    edited December 2009
    I'll need someone else to take a look at this thread, but he was out of the office yesterday and will be out again today. I'll see if I can get in contact with him though so you guys don't have to wait too long.
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks will. You da man
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks!
  • edited December 2009
    So, what's the latest with this "non-install" issue? Is there a fix on the way?
    edited December 2009
    We are uploading a test solution now. Seg should be with you shortly.
  • edited December 2009
    Looking forward to it.....thanks!
  • SegSeg
    edited December 2009
    For everyone having problems, I want you to uninstall what you currently have. Also make sure to check if the "Rise of the Pirate God" folder is in Program Files. If so, remove that too.

Now download this installer. The game contents are exactly the same. The only change is the installer.

Please install this and report on if things worked or didn't. Please in your reply, specifically state which operating system you're running, including 64 or 32 bit flavors.
  • edited December 2009
    I tried installing it. Once I completed the Installation, I clicked on the icon and received the same

monkeyisland105.exe- Bad Image

c:\windows\systems32\d3dx9_41.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error

Im running windows vista and Im not sure how to figure out the 32 or 64 bit
  • SegSeg
    edited December 2009
    @yoothattack

Well, it looks like there's something fishy going on with your computer itself. The d3dx9_41.dll being broken is particularly troublesome. Let's try a few things and wipe out the previous install completely, then reinstall with a fresh plate:

1) Uninstall Monkey Island completely.
    2) Make sure this folder doesn't exist. If so, delete it and all it's contents:

C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\Tales of Monkey Island\Rise of the Pirate God\

3) Delete this file specifically:

C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_41.dll

4) Reboot your computer.
    5) Install the game again.
    6) Launch the game.
  • edited December 2009
    Hey Seg,

The new installer worked for me. Some interesting points, however, just for your info:

Prior to re-downloading the game with the new installer, and per your prompt, I checked to see if the ROTPG folder was in the Telltale folder, and it was. I opened it and found the MonkeyIsland105 application file, which I didn't see before (it was probably there and I just missed it, but who knows......). When I tried to run it from there, either as an administrator or not, I got an error message stating the app "failed to start because fmodex.dll was not found", etc.

It then took me awhile to delete the app file as I kept getting a "Destination Folder Access Denied" message. I finally rebooted as the administrator, just like I always do, and then was able to delete the app and the ROTPG folder. Whatta pain!

Anyway, I'm running Vista Home Premium 64. Hope all this info is of some use to you.

Cheers!
  • edited December 2009
    finally got it to work! It was a matter of deleting that .dll file and downloading a new one
  • edited December 2009
    I got it working by deleting the .dll file and using the new installer on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Thank You!
This discussion has been closed.