Compatible with Windows 7?

edited April 2012 in Game Support
Dear Telltale Support:
I am running Windows 7. I have downloaded the demos to several Telltale games, including Monkey Ishand: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal, and purchased from Ubisoft a copy of CSI: Deadly Intent. Both of these games are listed by Seg on the post "Windows Vista and You!" http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12987&referrerid=44924 that is located in this forum. These games have a common symptom: I can launch their activation clients, but NOT THE GAMES THEMSELVES.

In the case of Monkey Island, I can click first "No thanks! Just take me to the demo" on the lower right corner of the activation window, and in the next screen click "Launch free demo!" The activation client closes. Nothing else happens.

CSI: Deadly Intent is published by Ubisoft, but it is plagued by the same problems using Ubisoft's activation client.

The following DO NOT SOLVE this problem:
  • Running a Telltale game in compatibility mode for any previous verion of Windows. This will give the error message, "Error: Cannot load game data! Make sure the application is being launched from the directory it was installed to." The next dialog box says, "Unfortunately, this error cannot be recovered."
  • Uninstalling and running the installer in compatibility mode. Contrary to what some people may believe, running installers in compatibility mode does not make the programs they install run in compatibility mode. The DirectX installer is a separate file altogether, and is also not affected by this.
  • Updating DirectX. I already have the latest version.
  • Running the game in 640x480 screen resolution. The activation client is launched, then when it is completed, Windows simply reverts to full resolution.

Below is information about my system:
CPU: Intel Core 2 T7400, 2.16 GHz
RAM: 1.6 GB
Video Card: Intel 8201BA/BAM AC'97

IMPORTANT NOTE: I know that most Windows games support only NVIDIA GeForce or Radeon graphics cards. However, I have successfully launched and displayed games with system requirements similar to Telltale's on this computer. One difference is that these games do not have activation clients. If their game is "xxxx.exe," then their demo is "xxxx_demo.exe." The link to "xxxx.exe" is not displayed until a payment has been received.

Is there anybody on this forum who was active in the testing for Windows 7? Was the activation client for each game involved in the testing? Does anybody else have the same problem, and if so, how was it solved?

If the activation clients were not tested, then you should probably send a link to or quote of this post to your development team. When developing Telltale's next season premiere, my problems and their solutions will help make sure that Telltale is ready to launch a game with "Windows 7" listed in the supported OSes.

Thanks!

Stuart

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Video Card: Intel 8201BA/BAM AC'97[/B]
    I'm afraid that's your sound chip, not your graphics card.

Please do yourself and us a favour and enter "dxdiag" into the entry field at the bottom of the start menu, hit enter, click "Save all information..." and attach the resulting text file here - it'll contain most relevant information about your machine.
  • edited December 2009
    I've got 7 (my laptop came with it) and have had no problems. Have you tried actually running the game in compatability mode? Did the games work before you had windows 7 installed?
  • edited December 2009
    I'm also using Windows 7. No problems whatsoever with TT games.
  • edited December 2009
    Hmm. Have you tried any steam games, that require the steam client? Just a random stab in the dark here, but try turning off your firewall/antivirus. It may be conflicting or something. Try e-mailing support. If you can't find an e-mail address, just PM any of the members of the telltale team, and they should point you in the right direction (they have a small TTG logo by their names)
  • edited April 2012
    dear telltalegames support

I do have a problem with the CSI - Deadly Intent game.
    I bought the new Asus ZEN Book :D

System Information
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.111118-2330)
    Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
    System Model: UX31E
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/08/11 15:09:06 Ver: 04.06.03
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2677M CPU @ 1.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3998MB RAM
    Page File: 2858MB used, 5136MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

As "s2a1simon35" wrote, there's a lot of possibilities I went trough and nothing helped... :confused:

To be honest, I'm pretty helpless and don't know what to do, to run that game on my new hightech Zen Book :S as well as high tech stands for high-functionality I'm HIGHly confused about the error screen: "could not load game data! make sure you are running the application in the directory it was installed to." and the stuff "s2a1simon35" already mentioned..

Would be great if you could solve my problem.

Thanks a lot:)
    KaSchub
  • edited April 2012
    KaSchub wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm pretty helpless and don't know what to do, to run that game on my new hightech Zen Book :S as well as high tech stands for high-functionality I'm HIGHly confused about the error screen: "could not load game data! make sure you are running the application in the directory it was installed to." and the stuff "s2a1simon35" already mentioned..

Would be great if you could solve my problem.

Thanks a lot:)
    KaSchub

That error indicates that the game wasn't installed correctly. Where did you purchase the game, and how did you install it?
This discussion has been closed.