TOMI on a mac in virtual box

edited December 2009 in Game Support
Hi,
I'm trying to run TOMI Chapter 1 on a mac using Virtual Box installed with Windows XP. I've installed the game and the DirectX updates, and I can open the game, but when I press "Launch Game," I get an error saying Direct3D could not be initialized. I've trying uninstalling and reinstalling the DirectX 9 package, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions? Anyone get TOMI to work using Virtual Box so I know it's possible?
Thanks!

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2009
    I've seen many people talk about VMWare, Parallels, and Crossover working to varying degrees. I'm not familiar with Virtual Box, though.
  • edited December 2009
    It's a free virtualization program that allows you to run guest operating systems (such as windows on a mac), and it does well with a lot of things, but I've never tried a 3D game with it before. I actually bought the Monkey Island package a few months ago right before my PC crashed, and made the switch to Mac when I bought a new laptop, so I'm still figuring out how to do everything and was hoping someone had already figured out how to run TOMI through it.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Virtualbox is probably the worst choice for 3D Virtualization. They only recently started adding that feature and it is just experimental. Read here on how to enable it.
    The solutions Jake mentioned are much more promising. If they fail too, there still is bootcamp.

You can read various experiences here or in other threads.

What kind of graphics card does your Mac have?
This discussion has been closed.