Rocko's Modern Life Adventure game?

edited March 2007 in General Chat
I think rocko's modern life would be a great property for telltale to make a series of episodic adventure games. It has great characters, classic humour and a weird world which would fit in perfectly with the adventure genre. It also has a nice core of fans(who are still waiting for a dvd) what do you think?

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Rocko's a great suggestion. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember enough to recognize "Wacky Delly" as the defining moment of modern television. :)

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Evan Dorkin's strip Welcome to Eltingville. Check out the failed pilot that was made out of it. I read a retrospective interview with Dorkin where he said that had he gotten the opportunity to do more episodes they would have been more plot-driven and less "Family Guy," but still, the pilot's pretty damn funny.
  • edited November 2006
    family guy could have made a good adventure game but the game we ended up with was some poor excuse for an action adventure game
  • edited November 2006
    oh mann wacky delly was the show rocko made right that became really insane? that was my fav episode..absolutely brilliant I bow down to that episode!!! :) :) :)
  • edited November 2006
    :O Rocko's Modern Life is my favourite cartoon show of all time! A game out of that would rock so hard, but only if done right. Yeah, Wacky Delly was a great episode, but there's so much more to this great series than just that. I could name all the episodes here, but they're all so hilarious, and offer such an insightful commentary on the world we live in. I have never seen any cartoon series come close to Rocko's Modern Life in terms of humour and satire. You need to see it to believe it, and I don't say that often.
  • edited November 2006
    Rocko's Modern Life would be fantastic!!
    I'd love to see another Beavis and Butthead adventure game... (Do U wasn't too good, but I loved Virtual Stupidity)
  • edited November 2006
    Maybe Dan Connors could give Joe Murray a call? :) Its one of those series where the fans are still out there, and want more (like sam and max) Whenever I mention rocko's modern life, people get excited and say how much they loved that show..
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    *gets excited* I loved that show!
  • edited November 2006
    Garbage day... is a very dangerous day.

(I'm all for it.) =]
  • edited November 2006
    "Laundry day is a very dangerous day."
    "Bath day is a very dangerous day."
    "Turn the page, wash your hands. Turn the page, wash your hands. And then you turn the page, and then you wash your hands."
    "HOW DAAAAAAARE YOU?!"
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    "Bad luck and misfortune will infest your pathetic soul for all eternity."
  • edited November 2006
    "Chokey Chicken is people!"
  • edited November 2006
    how did they get away with that :D You can make a great episodic game out of thier visit to heck ;)
  • edited November 2006
    I've just had a sudden hunger for Rocko's Modern Life :D
    Does anybody know where I can purchase any DVD's of it?
    They don't show it on Nickelodeon anymore over here :(
  • edited November 2006
    I don't think its officially out on DVD yet... Looks like youtube is the best bet...
  • edited November 2006
    It's not on DVD :( Last I heard Joe Murray was trying to buy the rights to the show off Nickelodeon so he could release it on DVD himself..
  • edited November 2006
    People are probably selling (illegal!) copies of it on eBay, and I also know of a site where you can download all the episodes, but I won't mention that site here.
  • edited November 2006
    So anyone know if the rights to the characters belong to Joe Murray or Nickelodeon?
  • edited November 2006
    Anyway, it does not look like Joe would be fundamentally opposed to video game treatments of his creations:

Rocko's Modern Life: Spunky's Dangerous Day
    Camp Lazlo: Leaky Lake Games
  • edited November 2006
    I'm almost positive it's fully owned by Nickelodeon.
  • edited November 2006
    http://www.stage9media.com/cartoons.html

Has Rocko's Modern Life on DVD! And other classic cartoons.
  • edited November 2006
    thom_h wrote: »
    http://www.stage9media.com/cartoons.html

Has Rocko's Modern Life on DVD! And other classic cartoons.
    Yeah, but that's still illegal. It would be nice if someone came out with an official DVD collection.
  • edited November 2006
    Wow if nickelodeon owns all the rights that would suck :mad: What would you think of joe murray working with telltale on an original game idea? I'm sure he could create great characters and a great world such as he did with rocko's modern life..
  • edited November 2006
    Well if Telltale's ready to do a completely new license you'd think they'd let their own designers take a whack at it.
  • edited November 2006
    It doesn't sound like telltale are gonna do a new license anytime soon tho right..isnt there another "secret license" they are working on as well?
  • edited November 2006
    I LOVE ROCKO"S MODERN LIFE!!! What a great idea! Although I wish someone would make a simpsons adventure game!!!
  • edited November 2006
    I LOVE ROCKO"S MODERN LIFE!!! What a great idea! Although I wish someone would make a simpsons adventure game!!!

I saw an advertisement for a "The Simpsons" movie a few days ago. I can only hope it was some sort of sick joke... What a godawful license to turn into a movie. It simply doesn't work! I am unable to imagine any possible way you could translate Simpsons in movies. Not that I care as I stopped finding the Simpsons funny some time ago for some reason. I'm not sure why. I just stopped finding humour in it. It was quite odd really.
  • edited November 2006
    what do you mean - a simpsons adventure game? . . . i thought hit and run was alright, it was more driving than adventuring though.
  • edited December 2006
    If it weren't still owned by Nick, I'd be surprised. They held on to Invader Zim, even though everyone considers it strictly the creation and therefore property of Jhonen Vasquez.

That said, if Telltale could get hold of it and create the game in an adventure style, there is no concievable way I would not play it.

Rocko's Modern Life was one of my greatest childhood memories. Watching reruns years later showed me just how many jokes I missed. I think it would fit nicely somewhere between the wacky nature of Steve Purcell's Sam & Max and the hilarious though thrilling story concepts of Jeff Smith's Bone.

So, what do you say, oh master's of Telltale gaming? Looking into it?
  • edited December 2006
    If only.... That show was a classic, and like Zim, really pushed the boundaries of Nick's censors.

But a Simpsons adventure game? I'm drooling in wait for the movie, but Simpsons games haven't quite had a great track record. Only the arcade game and Hit And Run were even marge-inally enjoyable... (heehee)
  • edited March 2007
    The video games were pretty painful, but yes, the show was an afternoon TV staple as I grew up. GOOD times. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD times.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.