ToMI VERY slow - all chapters

Hi,

I have been playing through the Tales of Monkey Island (just completed Chapter 1), and just had a small gripe with the speed of the game. Despite running it in a low-resolution window, and with the video quality being at a paltry 5, the cursor still judders around somewhat.

Is the game like this for everyone, or is my computer just not up to scratch (it's only a year old, so I would have thought it wouldn't be an issue and would meet the system requirements)? It would just be nice to be able to run this in a full screen at a higher quality without the issue of laggy cursors and what have you.

I can give system specs if required, but I can definitely tell that my laptop has 3GB of RAM, so I don't think that's the issue...

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Hi,

I have been playing through the Tales of Monkey Island (just completed Chapter 1), and just had a small gripe with the speed of the game. Despite running it in a low-resolution window, and with the video quality being at a paltry 5, the cursor still judders around somewhat.

Is the game like this for everyone, or is my computer just not up to scratch (it's only a year old, so I would have thought it wouldn't be an issue and would meet the system requirements)? It would just be nice to be able to run this in a full screen at a higher quality without the issue of laggy cursors and what have you.

I can give system specs if required, but I can definitely tell that my laptop has 3GB of RAM, so I don't think that's the issue...

Sounds to me that your video card may be the problem. What card do you have? Is it integrated or dedicated graphics? And have you tried putting the quality down to 1?
  • edited December 2009
    Putting the quality down to 1 seems to have done the trick, even on full-screen with a high resolution. Cheers!
  • edited March 2010
    Glad someone had luck with this. I'm forced to run the game at 1280x720 resolution minimum because that's all my display can use, and even with the quality set to 1, it's too jerky to play. :-(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Glad someone had luck with this. I'm forced to run the game at 1280x720 resolution minimum because that's all my display can use, and even with the quality set to 1, it's too jerky to play. :-(

With what graphics card?
  • edited March 2010
    I'm having a similar problem. The game starts completely fine at first. Then after like 30-50 min the game starts to slow down and almost gets impossible to play. I can still save and quit the game as usual (but slower) put the game itself is to slow to play. I've also noticed the same problem on my Wallice and Gromit games, so I think it's the same with all my Telltale games.

Strange thing is that all the games have worked perfectly in the past, but now they start to slow down after some time playing. Anyone got an idea?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Strange thing is that all the games have worked perfectly in the past, but now they start to slow down after some time playing. Anyone got an idea?

It could be your system overheating and throttling the speed. Make sure it is free of dust and all fans are working.

A dxdiag log could be useful too.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited March 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    It could be your system overheating and throttling the speed. Make sure it is free of dust and all fans are working.

A dxdiag log could be useful too.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.

Sounds plausible, I had the same problem with my old computor. Thanks for your help!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Sounds plausible, I had the same problem with my old computor. Thanks for your help!

I see, it's a laptop. That makes it even more likely.
    Can you speed up the Fans?
    What graphics quality level are you running at?
    It should run cooler on a lower level.
  • edited March 2010
    I see, it's a laptop. That makes it even more likely.
    Can you speed up the Fans?
    What graphics quality level are you running at?
    It should run cooler on a lower level.

I am already running the games on the lowest graphical settings, in 1024 x 768 resolution.

I'll check the fans later when I have time and see if that fixes it. Thanks again!
  • edited March 2010
    I'll check the fans later when I have time and see if that fixes it. Thanks again!
    Also, make sure the fans aren't clogged with dust, debris and random body parts - a can of compressed air can do wonders for that...

np: Keith Hillebrandt - 10 Miles High (Version) (Nine Inch Nails - Things Falling Apart)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010

Also make sure the Air can flow freely while you play, i.e. the cooling slits are not obstructed.
  • edited March 2010
    Hi,

I seem to be having a similar problem in that the entire game seems jerky, but it happens from the start, so I don't think it's an issue of dust/heat.

I have:
    -AMD Athlon 1.16 GHz
    -1.25 RAM
    -NVIDIA Geforce4 MX440 with latest drivers
    -Latest version of DirextX

I'm not sure where to find the option to 'turn graphics down to 1' as you mention above. The only thing I can see in the game settings is whether or not you want subtitles, hint frequency etc.

Thanks

Andy
  • edited March 2010
    adcashmo wrote: »
    Hi,
    -NVIDIA Geforce4 MX440 with latest drivers
    outch. This is even worse then my GPU.
  • edited March 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    outch. This is even worse then my GPU.

It's quite old yeah. Have had PC since 2002!.....but it's played other games which appear to be more advanced like Half-life 2 really smoothly.
  • edited March 2010
    It's quite old yeah. Have had PC since 2002!.....but it's played other games which appear to be more advanced like Half-life 2 really smoothly.

Okay. I am almost finished downloading Screaming Narwhal to make a screenshot for you. I really hope that it will play better on Graphics Setting 1 for you.
    Well I finished Braid with constant 10fps so I kinda know what you are experiencing here.

Okay. Got it.
    From the main menue klick:
    Settings
    The red arrow on top of the game settings will lead to the graphics settings. klick it once. (on the screenshot the green X is over it)
    in the new menue you can lower the graphics quality. Lower it until the menue doesn't lag any more.
  • edited March 2010
    Okay. I am almost finished downloading Screaming Narwhal to make a screenshot for you. I really hope that it will play better on Graphics Setting 1 for you.
    Well I finished Braid with constant 10fps so I kinda know what you are experiencing here.

Okay. Got it.
    From the main menue klick:
    Settings
    The red arrow on top of the game settings will lead to the graphics settings. klick it once. (on the screenshot the green X is over it)
    in the new menue you can lower the graphics quality. Lower it until the menue doesn't lag any more.

I think there is a problem with my graphics card because I don't get the same options as you under 'settings'. It's as if some of the menu has been completely missed out.

See attached.
  • edited March 2010
    I think there is a problem with my graphics card because I don't get the same options as you under 'settings'. It's as if some of the menu has been completely missed out.

See attached.

on the top next to gameplay settings there should be the arrows. If you cannot see them then you cannot push them I guess.
    I will download them all again and get you a prefs.prop for the lowest resolution, windowed, Quality 1
    If these are not playable you may want a refund.

Edit: Downloading now.

Edit2: still downloading but remember Nvidia stopped supporting your GPU for over a year now. You will need the last driver version that has drivers for your card. Not the latest version on their website.

Edit3:
    Try this prefs.prop. If something breaks just delete it and it will generate a new one.

Edit4: Why on earth are you running Vista on your System. This absolutely slows it down. Downgrade to XP SP3.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Win2k is not a supported operating system for our games. Meaning that won't work. But even still, it's a little unreasonable for someone to change their operating system at the drop of a hat, given how expensive they are.

As for the problems at hand, I fear your video card might just be too old to support all of the features in Monkey. If you can't get it to work, you are welcome to email support@telltalegames.com to get a refund.
  • edited March 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Win2k is not a supported operating system for our games. Meaning that won't work. But even still, it's a little unreasonable for someone to change their operating system at the drop of a hat, given how expensive they are.

right. But I think there might be a copy laying around considering how old the PC is.
  • edited March 2010
    on the top next to gameplay settings there should be the arrows. If you cannot see them then you cannot push them I guess.
    I will download them all again and get you a prefs.prop for the lowest resolution, windowed, Quality 1
    If these are not playable you may want a refund.

Edit: Downloading now.

Edit2: still downloading but remember Nvidia stopped supporting your GPU for over a year now. You will need the last driver version that has drivers for your card. Not the latest version on their website.

Edit3:

Edit4: Why on earth are you running Vista on your System. This absolutely slows it down. Downgrade to XP SP3.

Thanks, it's still slow though. I think I definitely need an upgrade. It's time to spend some cash.

I won't ask for a refund yet because I do want to play ToMI at some stage.

Oh and BTW I'm running XP SP3....it just has a few Vista skins :P

Andy
This discussion has been closed.