Monkey island. Macbook. Parellels. Windows 7. Help!

edited December 2009 in Game Support
OK, yes - before anyone has a go at me - I have spent hours searching the forum trying to find advice that works with no avail!
I have a April born Aluminum mac book with a new parallels and a clean version of Windows 7.

I downloaded the game, - all fine.
Opened the game - TTG box comes up, launch the game and then that wonderful and oh so common "MonkeyIsland101.exe has stopped working".

So....
my drivers have been updated, the cames been opened with various different compatibility modes, on 32 bit color depth, at various different resolutions, but no. Its not playing ball.

I've also tried running it on Crossover game trial with no avail. Roughly the same thing happens - apart from the "stopped working" it says that the program has a vital error and must close. The furthest it gets is to a little picture of a skull and crossbones in the middle of the screen then....... GONE.

I have also tried uninstalling and re downloading, but theres no change.

Any Ideas? (apart from get a PC!)

Cheers,

Theo

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    You already have one... If everything else fails install Windows natively with bootcamp.

Have you also tried a different chapter than 101 or the Wallace & Gromit demo if you don't own one?
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited December 2009
    OK, yes - before anyone has a go at me - I have spent hours searching the forum trying to find advice that works with no avail!
    I have a April born Aluminum mac book with a new parallels and a clean version of Windows 7.

I downloaded the game, - all fine.
    Opened the game - TTG box comes up, launch the game and then that wonderful and oh so common "MonkeyIsland101.exe has stopped working".

So....
    my drivers have been updated, the cames been opened with various different compatibility modes, on 32 bit color depth, at various different resolutions, but no. Its not playing ball.

I've also tried running it on Crossover game trial with no avail. Roughly the same thing happens - apart from the "stopped working" it says that the program has a vital error and must close. The furthest it gets is to a little picture of a skull and crossbones in the middle of the screen then....... GONE.

I have also tried uninstalling and re downloading, but theres no change.

Cheers,

Theo

It should work in CrossOver Games (that's how I've played all TOMI games on my Mac) but not in version 8.1.3 (the 8.1.3 release has a lot of changes from the previous one in order to improve Left 4 Dead 2 compatibility at the expense of other games. Codeweavers are working on it)).
    Download and install version 8.1.2 and install TOMI following the instructions on this page.
    The latter episodes (I think from Lair of the Leviathan on) are missing a .dll file (d3dx9_41.dll) which prevents them from running in CrossOver Games, but which you can find online or in the first two games' directories.
    Let me know if it works for you!

Steve
  • edited December 2009
    The Legendary DjNDB!
    I have tried number 2 - again with no avail.

I'll try what Steve says and I'll let you both know!
    But I'm still disappointed that my windows 7 wont play them....
    Any thoughts to why?

T
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    The Legendary DjNDB!
    :D
    But I'm still disappointed that my windows 7 wont play them....
    Any thoughts to why?
    T
    Have you updated directx inside windows 7?
  • edited December 2009
    Yup. Got Direct X 11.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Yup. Got Direct X 11.

I think it always says that, but the games need fresh DirectX 9 components. You can run the DirectX Web installer to be sure.
  • edited December 2009
    Cant find crossover 8.1.2 anywhere. Not even torrent sites.
    Any suggetsions on where to get it or if an earlier version will work?
    DjNDB - I'll try that now.
    T
  • edited December 2009
    Tried that. tells me that I have a newer or equivalent version already.
    I think I've followed that link before anyhow.
    T
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Any suggetsions on where to get it or if an earlier version will work?T

Try this: CrossOver Games 8.1.2
  • edited December 2009
    Cheers. :)
  • edited December 2009
    :(
    Didn't blood work.
    No Idea what to do - out of ideas!
    Followed it down to the letter and it didnt happen.
    Says theres either a problem in the program or a deficiency of wine?

T
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    It is most likely to work with Bootcamp.
    If you want to keep trying it virtualized you could try VMWare Fusion though, but keep in mind that as with parallels it will be slower than with Bootcamp and probably Crossover.
  • edited December 2009
    I'm having the exact same problem. The only difference is I'm using Vista on Parallels 5.0. Because my MBP is mostly for work, I won't be able to install BootCamp, so if there is any solution using a VM I would be very grateful :-)
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited December 2009
    :(
    Didn't blood work.
    No Idea what to do - out of ideas!
    Followed it down to the letter and it didnt happen.
    Says theres either a problem in the program or a deficiency of wine?

T
    Here is another possibility with CrossOver Games. I'm not sure that it will work with Tales of Monkey Island, but (as I found out earlier this week), it works with Wallace and Gromit.
    Whereas I used the Telltale Trick to get Telltale's other games up and running, doing it for the Wallace & Gromit games will just cause the launcher to be unresponsive.
    Just install the game in a new bottle (a Windows XP bottle worked for me) with NO Internet Explorer 6.
    Once the game is installed, launch it and enter your serial number when prompted, then press "Submit Query".
    Once the launcher goes blank, quit the bottle.
    The game should be unlocked.
    If you want to play it, launch it and press "Click here to run the game".
    The game should play just fine.
    Hopefully, this helps!
  • edited December 2009
    Thats actualy quite increadible...
    I had JUST done that exact same thing with no. 3 and it worked!
    I'm just re-downloading 1 and I'll try it with that now, but it looks promicing.
    Why do you think this works?
    Thanks for that anyhow!
    You have all been very helpful!

T
This discussion has been closed.