Sam & Max wont' run (sammax101.exe has encountered...)

edited December 2009 in Game Support
Hello,

Sam & Max Season one used to work fine on my quite fresh XP setup until the DVD ROM station broke.

After replacing the station I haven't got the game to run, every episode halts with the "SamMax101.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." -error.

The new station is an Optiarc DVD RW AD-5240S.

I have tried the SecuROM patch, and de and re-installing the game 5 times, but it doesn't get me anywhere.

A downloaded episode works just fine. (eg season 1 ep 4 which is free)

Any hints welcomed. I can also reply to a private message with a foto of the message and my original copy of the game box I would get donwload codes like that. As I said, no problems with dowload games.

The game box is the European Adventure company DVD, S1 with 6 episodes.

BR Andy

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2009
    Have you tried updating your graphics drivers and directx?
  • edited December 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Have you tried updating your graphics drivers and directx?

Yes. However I don't see the connection, as I stated downloaded episodes work, but the DVD version doesn't.

Also, prior to the DVD station breaking, the game did work on my setup.

Maybe if I could "completely erase" an installation, and try again from scratch it might work. This would include all files Securom hides in the registry etc. But I don't know what to remove from the registry/file system.

Btw the securom analysis tool doesn't work either, as the game exe never gets that far. I am able to securom analyze other games on the same machine, that have this feature.

- Andy
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    You could try the SecuRom removal tool.
    Is the latest Firmware installed at your AD-5240S?
  • edited December 2009
    Now it works. Apparently my virus scanner had patched itself to a mode where it did not like Sam & Max anymore. At least disabling it started run the games.

It all started with a broken DVD station, what a mess, and hard to figure out :)

Thank you everyone for helping,

BR Andy
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    asvirkku wrote: »
    It all started with a broken DVD station, what a mess, and hard to figure out :)

I'm glad you figured it out.
    The DVD coincidence was misleading. I had to think of Don't Do What I Tell You To Do
This discussion has been closed.