Random black screen (=No Signal) ToMI

edited December 2009 in Game Support
Hello,
Right now I'm playing ToMI chapter 4 and approximately after 15 minutes of smooth game play, at ANY point of the game, my screen turns black (and reads: "No signal") while I can still hear the sound of the game. But, it is very clear by the sound I hear that the game itself also get stuck. Ctrl + Alt + Del does not work as well Alt + Tab or anything. The computer just dies or something like that. I have to shut it down by pressing the on/off button for a few seconds.
I had no problems with episodes 1 and 2. The problem did appear at episode 3 but I had some hope it won't happen with chapters 4 and 5 (Which sadly it it). I did not change any thing in the computer between the episodes.

My operating system is Vista 32 bit. I have installed the latest drivers - video card is the 'Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT'. Tried running as administrator and compatibility mode of Windows XP. Tried Full screen On/Off and also playing with different resolutions. Nothing helped.
I am sure it is not a problem with any thing else because other games work perfectly (Just played Dragon Age for 3 hours).
Thanks in advance for any help or for even just reading this ^^

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Can you give us a dxdiag log?
    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Since it sounds like a heat issue you should make sure your computers cooling fans and heatsinks are dust-free.

Then log the temperatures while playing until the game crashes.

Logging your CPU and GPU Temperatures

CPU: Download Core Temp. Start it and activate logging in the menu under "Tools/Logging on".

The log file created is called similar to "CT-Log [TIME][DATE].csv".

GPU: Download GPU-Z.
    Start it, select the "sensors" tab, and activate "Log to File" at the bottom of the window.

The log file created is called "gpu-temperature.xml".

Zip the files and attach them to a message.
  • edited December 2009
    Thank you very much for the quick help and replay ^^
    I attached the DxDiag file (Had to cut it into 3 parts, sorry) and will try to check the heat problem in a few hours, right now I have to go :|
    Also, sorry I just go while you try helping me. Again, thank you very very much!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    That's alright, i get mails when you reply.
    Description: Speakers (C-Media PCI Audio Device)
    Date and Size: 5/15/2007 13:15:38, 1400576 bytes

Here's an update for these sound drivers.
    Description: Speakers (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC)
    Date and Size: 2/28/2007 16:57:28, 323584 bytes
    Your secondary audio device also uses old drivers. Here are the new ones.

In case you install both make sure your default audio output is still set to the correct card afterwards.
  • edited December 2009
    I can't get 'Core Temp' to work. Says it does not support my intel core or some thing like that (I tried the 64-bit just in case, it does not work at all).
    ThoughI attached the other document - ToMI just crashed after 2-3 minutes while GPU-Z was on. But no black screen, just a 'normal' crash.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Soraky wrote: »
    I can't get 'Core Temp' to work. Says it does not support my intel core or some thing like that (I tried the 64-bit just in case, it does not work at all).
    ThoughI attached the other document - ToMI just crashed after 2-3 minutes while GPU-Z was on. But no black screen, just a 'normal' crash.

Looks like we can't use core temp for logging then. You can try realtemp instead.

Your graphics card starts with 81°C. Did you do anything graphics intensive before you started the game or is that the regular idle temperature you get?
    How many cooling fans are in your system and where?
  • edited December 2009
    I am sure I haven't done any thing that is graphic intensive before I started the game. Just as usually. Mostly I play games after I turn the computer on and surf the web for 30 minutes or so. So I'm quite sure it is the normal temperature of my graphics card, though I can't really tell.
    I've got two cooling fans:
    One at the back of the computer and one at the side where most of the chips and cards are (Between them all). They are the same size, can't tell what size really.
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I don't think I can get realtemp to work either.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Mostly I play games after I turn the computer on and surf the web for 30 minutes or so. So I'm quite sure it is the normal temperature of my graphics card, though I can't really tell.

For idle that is a very high temperature. Take a look at this review. There are a few 9600GT and the highest temperature is 66°C under maximum load(!).
    You have more in an idle state.
    Have you made sure that the fan on your graphics card is actually working?

According to the specifications your graphics card should operate at 105°C max.
    I have a test procedure similar to the one in the review that we can use to see if your system crashes when the graphics card gets hot:

Testing your graphics card:

Download FurMark to stress test your graphics card. Start it, select "Stability Test", "Xtreme Burning Mode" and "Log GPU Temperature". Now start the test by pressing "Go!".
    While running you should be able to monitor the temperature at the bottom of the screen. Run it for 10 minutes or until the temperature seems to be stable for some minutes. If the temperature exceeds 100°C, abort with Escape.

The log file created is called "gpu-temperature.xml".
    Zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited December 2009
    While trying FurMark, in less then 2 minutes (I think it was a minute and 20-30 seconds) the temperature got 100°C. Tried it twice. Do I need to upload the log file any way? Because I can't really find it.
    I've checked and the fan on my graphics card is working and clean of dust. Any way I've cleaned my whole computer from dust just 2 weeks ago.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    While trying FurMark, in less then 2 minutes (I think it was a minute and 20-30 seconds) the temperature got 100°C. Tried it twice. Do I need to upload the log file any way? Because I can't really find it.
    I've checked and the fan on my graphics card is working and clean of dust. Any way I've cleaned my whole computer from dust just 2 weeks ago.

No need for the log file then. That makes it even more plausible that the temperature gets too high while you play ToMI and makes your system crash.

It would be interesting what the other temperatures in your PC are like. If the temperature inside the case is high, than the graphics card has a hard time cooling down.
    You can try HWMonitor. Maybe you get that one working for your CPU/Mainboard temperature.

Besides that it would still be interesting to see a GPU-Z log of an actual crash of the whole system as you described in the beginning.
  • edited December 2009
    Here is the GPU-Z log with the actual crash (Got it zipped).
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    I made a formatted PDF out of it so you can easily see for yourself what happens.
    When the crash occurs your graphics card is at 135°C, which is 30 K above the specified maximum.

Something is definitely wrong with your graphics cards cooling. Maybe the heatsink lost contact to the chips?
  • edited December 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Something is definitely wrong with your graphics cards cooling. Maybe the heatsink lost contact to the chips?
    Or maybe the fan isn't turning at all? Or maybe it's so clogged in dust that there's simply no airflow going on?

Come to think of it, the log file mentions the fan speed being at 100% - if that were my Radeon 4850 it'd sound like a hair dryer was inside my PC; but if you're not hearing something similar it has to be the card's fan not turning...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Leak wrote: »
    Or maybe the fan isn't turning at all? Or maybe it's so clogged in dust that there's simply no airflow going on?

We checked that already:
  • edited December 2009
    I made a formatted PDF out of it so you can easily see for yourself what happens.
    When the crash occurs your graphics card is at 135°C, which is 30 K above the specified maximum.

Wow that is... bad. I'm afraid my PC will go boom soon enough.
    I'll check for ANY thing that is unplugged inside my computer soon. Can you tell me how does the heatsink thing looks like so I can check it out any way?

Leak, thanks for the help ^^ I do not hear any loud noise, it is like it always was. No dust, and I have cleaned it a few days ago.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Can you tell me how does the heatsink thing looks like so I can check it out any way?
    There are many different types. It is the part your fan is blowing onto.
    In this picture you see the transparent fan, and the heatsink is the copper element it sits on.
    Now what is suspect in your case is that the heatsink has no proper contact to the chips below anymore.
    vvikoo9600gt_1.jpg
  • edited December 2009
    There are many different types. It is the part your fan is blowing onto.
    In this picture you see the transparent fan, and the heatsink is the copper element it sits on.
    Now what is suspect in your case is that the heatsink has no proper contact to the chips below anymore.
    Honestly, I'm pretty sure the fan on the graphics card must not be working (no matter if it was earlier on - or maybe he mistook another fan for the graphics card fan) as there is no way a graphics card could heat up to 135°C (which is probably the tripping point for the card to shut down the PC to prevent itself from melting) without the fan getting set to run at full speed to try and counter that (which it is, going by the log) - and there is no graphics card fan out there that won't make a less than the noise of a jetplane when it's running at full speed.

So something must be very wrong with the fan, I'm afraid.

NB: All cards I've bought in the last few years were ATI, so I'm not sure if the same goes for nVidia cards, but all those cards had a cable running from the fan to a 3-pin connector on the card to operate the fan - maybe the equivalent on his card has gotten disconnected?
  • edited December 2009
    I had a 9600 GT that had the same problem with almost every game I played. I am quite certain it's either a power supply issue or a faulty card.

Do you happen to know what your power supply is?
  • edited December 2009
    Leak - I know some thing is wrong but I am positive the fan is working. I opened up my PC and looked at it spinning (And I am sure it is the graphics card fan)
    "maybe the equivalent on his card has gotten disconnected?" Every thing looks connected. Though I can't really tell because I do not understand so much about those kind of things.
    Pale Man- "Do you happen to know what your power supply is?"
    Not really. How can I check it?
    My graphics card did start to make ticking noises after I cleaned the fan yesterday. Like "tick, tickck, tick". But I fixed it (I got the card connected with a slight slope by mistake).
  • edited December 2009
    I have solved the problem.
    Though I have no idea what have I done. All I did was getting the graphics card out of the PC looking for some thing wrong, found nothing. Than when I got it back inside it was so quite and I played ToMI for 4-6 hours straight (I lost the feeling of time).
    Just finished chapter 5 - Super Epic.
    Thank you ALL for helping me out. With out you guys I would have probably had to buy a new PC.
    Happy new year all ^-^
  • edited December 2009
    Pale Man- "Do you happen to know what your power supply is?"
    Not really. How can I check it?

I know your problem has seemingly gone away, but you can usually check what type of power supply you have just by looking at the back of your case where the power cord plugs in.
  • edited December 2009
    I have solved the problem.
    Though I have no idea what have I done. All I did was getting the graphics card out of the PC looking for some thing wrong, found nothing. Than when I got it back inside it was so quite and I played ToMI for 4-6 hours straight (I lost the feeling of time).
    Hmmm... maybe the card wasn't firmly seated in the PEG-connector before you re-seated it? That could cause all kinds of problems...
This discussion has been closed.