DLL has detected an error...

edited January 2010 in Game Support
Hi,
Please can anyone help me. I'm trying to play the Tales of Monkey Island, and Wallace & Gromit here that I bought for my son, and this computer is giving me this message about the 'dynamic link library' (isn't it??)

I'm using Windows XP and when I try to launch the game i get a message that pops up to say 'DLL has detected an error and has had to shut the program down'
What do I have to do to get round this ??

Comments

• edited January 2010
    I'm getting the exact same error running Wallace and gromit.
    I'm also running windows XP and I've tried downloading and reinstalling it again but this has made no difference.

If anyone knows how to fix it, I'd like to know too.:(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I can only give generic advice on that one.
    Update your graphics- and audio drivers and DirectX. Also make sure that the latest Internet Explorer version is installed (for the launcher window).

If it's not fixed that way please upload a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited January 2010
    If it helps at all, here's the contents of the event log for the error:

Faulting application wallacegromit102.exe, version 2009.4.29.25186, faulting module wallacegromit102.exe, version 2009.4.29.25186, fault address 0x00244928.

I have also updated to the latest version of Direct X for XP and installed the lastest graphics card drivers, which unfortunately did not fix the problem.

I havn't always had this problem either, it didn't start happening until a few days ago.
  • edited January 2010
    Ok, here's my Dxdiag report.
    I already had internet explorer 8 installed (I use firefox instead, which is also the latest version), but the error doesn't occur until after I click "lauch" in the launcher window.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit) (75Hz)

Try setting your display color depth to 32 bit. Normally that shows a different error message, but it definitely causes trouble.
    Description: Realtek HD Audio output
    Date and Size: 6/22/2007 18:14:40, 4432384 bytes

Your audio driver is quite old. You can download the latest Realtek HDA Drivers here.
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks!
    Changing the colour depth seems to have sorted it out!
    I managed to update my audio drivers shortly after my last post, the Relatek website was having a few technical difficulties, thanks for the link anyway! :D
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    the Relatek website was having a few technical difficulties
    They always have difficulties :D
    I never get more than a few kb/s when I download there.
    That's why I link to these mirrors.
This discussion has been closed.