Monkey Island Trial Version Won't Launch in Parallels 5 w WIndows XP on Mac

edited December 2009 in Game Support
While I've had a good degree of success with other PC-only games in Parallels on my Intel Mac, I'm able to download and install the trial version of Monkey Island in Windows XP, but when I get to the window with option to launch trial Demo Version Only and select that, nothing happens. The window goes away, but nothing launches and there's no system activity. Was going to buy the whole series as Christmas gift, but don't want to do that if it's not going to run. Tried several times. Even went to Amazon and downloaded their trial demo version but with same results. Any ideas?

Comments

• Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited December 2009
    I'm pretty sure you'd get a better response in the support forum (your problem might have already been submitted and maybe even solved in that forum... my advice is to try a search for Parallels there).
    Personally, I play the games on my Mac using CrossOver Games and they work nicely with a little fiddling.
    Never used Parallels myself(not because I'm "one of those" Mac users who categorically refuse to install Windows on their Mac, but because there are very few - if any - Windows applications that I need and CrossOver Games is much cheaper than having to buy a copy of Windows), so I can't really help you there.
    Good luck!
  • edited December 2009
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you'd get a better response in the support forum (your problem might have already been submitted and maybe even solved in that forum... !
    Thanks for the input! Will do.
  • edited December 2009
    How did you get it to work with Crossover Games? I tried that first, but the demo asks me for a serial number?
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited December 2009
    frlane wrote: »
    How did you get it to work with Crossover Games? I tried that first, but the demo asks me for a serial number?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I don't check the Shopping or Activation Support forum as often as I do the Game Support one.
    I actually might have jumped the gun on this one as, while I'm able to play the games in CrossOver Games, I have never tried demos which according to Jake's post (#6) in this thread might not actually work.
    I think that the only way to (possibly) play the demo in CrossOver Games might be to add Internet Explorer 6 in the bottle as explained here.
    Then, instead of the white-screened launcher asking for your serial number, you should get the actual Telltale launcher.
    I will try downloading the demo now and see if it works this way. Look for an edit to this post in the next few minutes.
    EDIT: I installed the demo in a bottle containing IE 6 and once I launched the game, in the bottom-right corner of the launcher, there was the option "No thanks, just take me to the demo!", which leads me to a new screen with the option "Launch free demo!", which takes me to... the demo! So it works.
This discussion has been closed.