Tilted Mill vs Telltale Games

edited May 2007 in General Chat
Has anyone else been following this? Tilted Mill was all the former employees of Sierra who made those classic city building series such as Caesar III Pharoah etc etc. They were then fired by Sierra even though their games were hugely popular. They formeed their own company Tilted Mill and created their first game children of the nile.. They then made Caesar IV which was released by..guess who Sierra! It kind of gives me hope that Telltale could make a new "monkey island" game or lucasarts property and then have it released by lucasarts. They just have to come up with a plan that LucasArts would agree to. Telltale is making the game/just like tilted mill made Caesar IV, but maybe LucasArts and Telltale could jointly release it. LucasArts are sitting on these properties that they are not using, if Telltale is making the game for them, it may make sense to come to some sort of partnership, theres not much to lose for LucasArts. There is hope! The tilted Mill story mirrors telltale in a lot of ways..

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Monkey Island, Monkey Island... I know it's a popular license, but personally I'm not eagerly awaiting another installment, to be honest. I'm much more interested in something not based on an existing license. Something completely new. (But first more Bone and Sam & Max, of course!)

--Erwin
  • edited November 2006
    LucasArts is a heartless money machine with no feelings or remorses.
    But, hey, hope never dies:D
  • edited November 2006
    Wouldn't you say the same for Sierra? And hey they came around..
  • edited November 2006
    Game Informer interview with Dan Connors of Telltale and David Reid of Gametap:
    Game Informer: A lot of those LucasArts franchises are still very popular – you spoke about Day of the Tentacle. Is there a chance you’ll be able to wrangle a few more of those away for more episodes? Are you working on that at all?

Dan Connors: It’s definitely on our minds and it’s definitely something we think about. Maybe I can give you more information a while from now. It’s definitely something that makes good sense to everybody. For them it’s the same thing. For them it’s "What’s the business model? What’s the retail model?" It’s not their type of game – it’s not Star Wars, it’s not with the movie, with the lightsaber – an action game. When trying to do the two things at the same time it makes it challenging. They’ve been trying to figure out the right solution, and hopefully Telltale is part of it.
  • edited November 2006
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't you say the same for Sierra? And hey they came around..

Yeah, they've turned into real philanthropists this time. :D

--Erwin
  • MelMel
    edited November 2006
    Erwin wrote: »
    Something completely new. (But first more Bone and Sam & Max, of course!)

--Erwin

One thing that a good friend mentioned last year to me and then was mentioned again by Heather at the Adventure Gamers developers chat was Amelie. An incredible, fun and profound movie and well suited to an adventure game. Graphically I don't know if the 3D engine would be good for it.* I would think more of a Marc Chagall style:

chagallpariswindow.jpg

The other movie that is coming out on Nov. 22 in the States is The Fountain. The movie looks awesome and would make a very cool game as well (to me at least ;) ).

*Edit: Thinking on that statement, I'm not a programmer so I'm not qualified to say what engine would be suited. I think I mean more that the cartoon style characters wouldn't be suited for it and I would even say the more realistic characters like you see in the CSI game wouldn't work for me either. It would be neat to see a touch of wimsy but elegant at the same time.
  • edited November 2006
    I didn't really like most of the games sierra made. After playing a lucas adventure I didn't buy anymore quest games. I hated it when I had to load, restart or quit.
    As for Caesar it was ok. I played one of them. I think it was III. It was ok from what I remember of it.
  • edited November 2006
    Caesar III was awesome.. I wasted way too many hours on the game.. very addictive! :D
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, Caesar3 was awesome, great game!
    As for Sierra adventure games... let's say I could appreciate just some of them! Lots of them were clones, and I remember I was scared by others when I was a little kid :D
    The Colonel's Bequest frightened me a lot, it wasn't fun to die every minute in millions of cruel ways, like crushed by the chandelier or ate by crocodiles, or smashed in the face by a horse.
    And there were puzzles made just to make you die, like oiling the old statue just to cut you off in pieces.
    That's the reason why I've always thought LucasArts is totally better than Sierra.
  • edited November 2006
    Yes LucasArts was better. Police Quest was a great series though..
  • edited November 2006
    Erwin wrote: »
    Monkey Island, Monkey Island... I know it's a popular license, but personally I'm not eagerly awaiting another installment, to be honest.
    --Erwin

I would love another MI game! It seems that I'm the only one who liked EMI? Well it was not neat as good as MI2 but I liked it... :)
  • edited November 2006
    I hated driving off the friggen road in police quest though. It also took far too long to get to the place I needed.
  • edited November 2006
    SWAT games > Police Quest. :D
  • edited November 2006
    JK1985 wrote: »
    I would love another MI game! It seems that I'm the only one who liked EMI? Well it was not neat as good as MI2 but I liked it... :)

I did, anyway both CMI and EMI truly suck when compared to MI1 and MI2.
  • edited November 2006
    Haggis wrote: »
    SWAT games > Police Quest. :D

Too right :D
  • edited November 2006
    Meh, you can't compare SWAT with Police Quest. They're a totally different kind of game.

--Erwin
  • edited November 2006
    Well, the SWAT games did sort of evolve from the Police Quest games... at least, they were named Police Quest: SWAT. :P
  • edited November 2006
    I have to say, I'm not terribly good at it, but I LOVE Children of the Nile. Will probably get Caesar IV quite soon. And yes, I think there are some remarkable parallels between them and Telltale...
  • edited February 2007
    I always loved Space Quest and Police Quest, Yes LucasArts had more to offer, but Sierra was more challenging, LucasArts sent you into a world where you couldn't die, while the games were good, they were too unrealistic, the puzzles were challenging, yes, but Sierra gave us another challenge, if you don't finish the puzzle, you die.
  • edited February 2007
    I'm a die-hard Sierra fan, they were never afraid to push the censorship boundaries. (Phantasmagoria, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.)
  • edited February 2007
    I didn't find anything previously posted.

Found a site for purchasing cd keys for pc games. Has anyone dealt with this site? It seems legit enough, but I haven't been able to find any reviews or anything about it.

http://www.hdqr.net/key/

Seems to be hosted overseas, since the grammar is off on a lot of the pages.
  • edited February 2007
    peteran wrote: »
    *snip*
    Seems to me that those guys are making a killing on selling CD keys to pirates, and they pass on about zip to the software manufacturers. In other words, seems totally fishy, if not completely illegal.
  • edited February 2007
    Look at the fact that that's his only post, and it has nothing to do with the topic, of course it's illegal, he's a spambot.
  • edited February 2007
    Yeah, I suspected something like that, but since it does sort of apply to the topic at hand (old games), I wasn't quite sure. I do feel like a bit of an idiot now... curse those spambots to death!
  • edited March 2007
    some sierra series are great, while others, imo, are just overrated.

My favoirte quest games are Quest for Glory, Leisure Suit Larry, and maybe Space Quest(I find myself play those three from time to time.)

Sorry to offend, but I think the king's quest series is way overrated for being the first adventure game with the pickin up crap from the ground and applying it to something else. I mean, the storyline in the Kq series do not make sense imo. True, sierra can get away with it by making the series like a fairy tale, but the game's storyline reeks of chessiness. After reading the puzzles for Gabriel Knight, i think that is overrated as well. I can be wrong since I never played the game, but puzzles were you have to chase a cat into hole so you can use his fur to make a mustache as a diguise to look like a guy who doesn't have a mustache is too much for me.

Quest for Glory is my fav since the storyline overall is pretty good; the fourth one is the best even though I heard the non talkie(I only played the ver with the voices) is impossible to pass because of bugs. The story, makes up for it imo. The puzzles aren't crazy impossible w/o a hint guide since I have gotten the total possible point on my first try(like kq6). Lastly, there are mutliple ways to solve a problem in the game, which I think was pretty cool since it makes some parts of the game more realistic whereone doesn'thavetomakesome crazyass device to pass something, they use the strength, magic, or stealth.
  • MelMel
    edited March 2007
    I haven't played Gabe Knight 3 yet (where the infamous and much derided cat puzzle is) but it's also known for an incredibly clever puzzle as well (Le Serpent Rouge). I've only played the first (and liked it a lot) but the series is quite different from the quest series of games.
  • edited March 2007
    Hmm, I should probably give the first two Gabriel a try then.
  • MelMel
    edited March 2007
    Here are some reviews (complete with screenshots so you can see that each game has a different style):

Gabriel Knight 1 - Sins of the Fathers

Gabriel Knight 2 - The Beast Within

Gabriel Knight 3 - Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
  • edited March 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    Here are some reviews (complete with screenshots so you can see that each game has a different style):

Gabriel Knight 1 - Sins of the Fathers

Gabriel Knight 2 - The Beast Within

Gabriel Knight 3 - Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned

I really enjoyed the first 2, but for the life of me I can't really remember playing 3. I know I beat it, but I just don't remember much of it. Other than a few frustrating puzzles sticking out, most of the game wasn't memorable.

Space Quest, Quest For Glory, Leisure Suit Larry, Phantasmagoria, 7th Guest, 13th Hour, the Lucas Adventure games kept my PC busy during the 90's.

I loved and hated 13th hour and 7th guest. Some of those puzzles were unforgivingly advanced. I loved that their idea of a hint was usually something so cryptic as to totally throw you off from the solution.

Hey, anyone remember Loom!? That was a heck of a fun old school adventure game. You had to play back music on your magical staff to complete magical spells. Great concept for a game. In fact, I'm going to go see if it's on scumVM right now!
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2007
    One Sierra adventure game that I love a lot is Freddy Pharcas: Frontier Pharmacist. :)

There are deaths in that game, but they make sense unlike many of Sierra's games (for instance going into gas without a gas mask).

The story is really funny. :D There are also a ton of cameos from various Sierra personalities, both from games and from real life.

It's also an older Sierra adventure title, so there is no parser - it's all point-and-click.

It's the closest you can get to for a Sierra game with a LucasArts feel.
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    If you ignore the cat puzzle on Gabriel Knight 3, all the other puzzles were great. However I think the feel on GK3 was too different from the other two. The first two ones were more personal while the latter was more in the lines of a PI on an unrelated case (Though was somehow related at the end)

One thing that plagued that series on the former two games were pixel hunting. Nevertheless, the puzzles were great and *logical*.

All the games featured strong writing and music. The first had the best story and atmosphere. The story on the second took some backseat, but the music was still strong, including a piece of a suposedly unreleased opera by Beethoven.

Game 3 was a true 3D game (Game 2, was a FMV game), but I felt that the game would have worked fine in 2D (except for the GPS puzzles). Specially considering that the engine was quite behind the state of the art.

And game 3 had one amazing feature: Hidden DevTools, complete with some design manuals! (I think the developers sensed the Sierra Adventure Games being axed and included all that they could). Although the engine is quite old, you can build your own games with it (or at least modify the game)
  • edited May 2007
    I absolutely love Sierra games! The Gabriel Knight series is one of my all time favourite adventure game series, those games are just so damn well written.

It sucks that the new collections are pretty bad, I'm very glad I picked up all the collections back when they included everything.

Oh and I happen to like the Phantasmagoria games too.. I've always liked those even though I realize the storylines are cheesy and the acting even more so :D
    I've just started playing Phantasmagoria II again.. it absolutely won't work in XP (and I won't play the DOS version because of the crappy video quality in that version) so I installed Vmware and Windows 95 :D Works very well!

EDIT - I posted pics of some of my Sierra games in this thread -

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2389
Sign in to comment in this discussion.