Monkey Island screen turns black after starting

edited January 2010 in Game Support
I have downloaded and installed tomi only to find that right after I start the game, and it says "Deep in the Carribean", the screen turns black. I can hear the sounds, and Le Chuck briefly, then I have to escape and i get the message "internet explorer has stopped working". I am able to from the title screen play the "treasure hunt" game, but am unable to start and continue in a new game.
I have scrolled through FAQ's and other answers, updated something or other, uninstalled and then reinstalled game, and deleted temporary internet files.
What can I do now??? I really want to play this game! ;)
Thank you for your help.
Also it is very slow to start. It is a full 5 minutes after clicking "launch game" that I end up on the title screen, and game is pretty jerky on treasure hunt mode.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Is the latest Internet Explorer version installed?
    Are your graphics and sound drivers up to date?
    Did you let the game run the directx updater on installation?

As a first measure try reducing the graphics quality and please give us a dxdiag log.

changing the graphics quality
    Start the game.

Select "Settings". Click the red arrows until you see "graphics settings".
    Set "quality" to 1 and test the game. If you want increase it as long as it runs well.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited January 2010
    Internet Explorer is most recent, how do I check the graphics and sound drivers??
    It did run and update the directx driver on installation. When I went into the game and tried to change the quality, when I hit "apply" the screen went black again and I had to use task manager to close it down. I also tried changing the resolution and the same thing happened, a black screen.
    I don't understand why I am able to play the game through the "treasure hunt" mode, but not game play mode.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    tracyp wrote: »
    Internet Explorer is most recent, how do I check the graphics and sound drivers??

I will check that for you in the dxdiag log. Can you upload a new one? Your zip strangely only contains a link.
  • edited January 2010
    ok, I hope i did it right this time...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    ok, I hope i did it right this time...

Yes, much better :)
    Card name: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
    Driver Date/Size: 12/12/2006 09:50:10, 2105344 bytes

Description: Speakers (SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC)
    Date and Size: 11/2/2006 12:39:42, 812032 bytes

You have a low budget integrated graphics chip, which is not designed for games and unlikely to work well with ToMI. Also your drivers are a bit old.

You can try installing the latest Sigmatel HDA driver and Intel 82945G driver.
    It might work then, but you will have a much better gaming experience if you install at least a cheap graphics card.
  • edited January 2010
    I was able to download the first link you gave me, but the second one said i didn't have permission from someone?! "not validated for this computer, says to obtain appropriate driver from computer manufacturer."
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I was able to download the first link you gave me, but the second one said i didn't have permission from someone?! "not validated for this computer, says to obtain appropriate driver from computer manufacturer."

Okay, that can happen. That was the latest original Intel driver, but some manufacturers don't allow you to install it.
    You should install the one provided by gateway then.
  • edited January 2010
    I tried that one too and I got the exact same message half way through the installation.
  • edited January 2010
    Do you work for Telltale? If I am unable to use this game through my computer...which is what I'm thinking....would I be able to be refunded the amount and try this through thw Wiiware?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I tried that one too and I got the exact same message half way through the installation.

That's really strange. You could try if you get the correct one if you enter your serial number here.
    Do you work for Telltale? If I am unable to use this game through my computer...which is what I'm thinking....would I be able to be refunded the amount and try this through thw Wiiware?

I am just a regular Forum Member with Forum Moderator privileges.

TTG usually gives refunds in that case if you send an E-Mail to support: support@telltalegames.com

Your other option is upgrading you graphics card.
  • edited January 2010
    Thank you for all your help! I was able to recieve a refund and am going to try my luck on the Wii. Thanks again. God bless ;)
This discussion has been closed.