very dark picture

edited January 2010 in Game Support
Hi.
I've just bought Launch of the screaming narwhale.
After installing, and entering the game, my screen suddenly goes dark, not black though, i can see a bit, but not enough to game.

First time, i actually thought the game was supposed to be that way, and i played it for some minutes, with no lag or nothing, but after popping the inventory, it seemed clear to me, that something's wrong. i can't see anything in inventory.

Second time running, same thing happened, but now the game decides to lag, and crash, and windows pops up with that famous "program has stopped working"-error.

I've adjusted my graphics to lowest, i might not have the best processer in the world, but my logic tells me it shouldn't be that, which my first time running, supports me in thinking.

Please help me, i've read every thread which has comparison to mine, and nothing works. I'm dying to go treasurehunting. I really don't know what to do.

Ofcourse I have attached some pics, i wanted to take more, but the game crashed. But you'll see the DARKNESS!! :(

Thanks for your time.

-Karsten

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Heh, loading screen is supposed to look that way but...

Did you run the DirectX 9 setup at the beginning of the setup?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    In most cases this is caused by old graphics cards/chips not fulfilling the minimum requirement of supporting DirectX 8.1.

If you upload a dxdiag log we can check that for you.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited January 2010
    i have directx 9.0c installed, on a Geforce 4 mx 440 graphic card.

I'm not home right now, so i can't upload dxdiagnose. but i have checked, and tested everything in it. Everything works fine.
    Except Telltale games. :(
  • edited January 2010
    arquloco wrote: »
    Geforce 4 mx 440 graphic card.

Below minimum requirements.
    The 4MX is about as fast as a regular GeForce 2.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    arquloco wrote: »
    i have directx 9.0c installed, on a Geforce 4 mx 440 graphic card.
    What you have installed is the DirectX Software in that version. The Requirement of the game is about the DirectX Hardware Support of the graphics card. Your graphics cards technology is about 8 years old and only supports DirectX 7. That's why some elements of the game can't be displayed correctly.
    The only way to fix it is installing a different graphics card, but don't panic, they are quite cheap nowadays.
This discussion has been closed.