ToMI problems

edited January 2010 in Game Support
Hello,
I am having difficulties playing this game through without freezing/crashing every so often. I've already gone through the first four chapters and if possible I'd like to get this problem resolved before I play the last one. While crashes do happen during normal play, there seems to be a higher chance of a crash during a cutscene. Also sometimes when the game crashes, my monitor loses its signal(I'm guessing because of weird resolution changes) which is really annoying since I have to wait a while before the monitor will turn back on.

Anyways, my system specs as follows:
AMD X2 4000+
XFX 9600GSO
1 GIG RAM
OCZ Gamexstream 600W Power supply

Running on Windows XP Home SP3

I have the game running on 1152 x 864 resolution on max quality. The game looks beautiful and runs completely smooth when it's not crashing. I have experimented with lower resolutions and lower qualities(all the way to 1) with the same results.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    mechh wrote: »
    Also sometimes when the game crashes, my monitor loses its signal(I'm guessing because of weird resolution changes) which is really annoying since I have to wait a while before the monitor will turn back on.
    That sounds a lot like overheating. Please try what i suggested in this thread in posts #2 and #3 (dxdiag and temperature logging).
  • edited January 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    That sounds a lot like overheating. Please try what i suggested in this thread in posts #2 and #3 (dxdiag and temperature logging).

Unfortunately I don't believe it's a overheating issue. I already check my graphics card temperatures. At idle 44C and doesn't even touch 60C which even if it did, it'd be quite a long way from reaching overheating temperatures. The card has only been in use for about 5 months so the dust buildup isn't quite at the point where it'd affect performance and it's winter right now so my computer has a nice chilly room to run in as well.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Did you measure the 60°C during a crash?

A dxdiag log would still be useful.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited January 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Did you measure the 60°C during a crash?

A dxdiag log would still be useful.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.

I'll run a log later(won't be on that specific computer till later). I still somehow doubt it is a heating issue though. I've stress tested the system before and after 10 minutes it was about 85C which is still an acceptable temperature under load. Plus this game compared to others that I play is much less graphics intensive and yet this is the only game that seems to be crashing.

Ugh... I had a 8600GT card before this and this game lagged so bad even though the card should have run it smoothly. I wasn't the only one to have this issue as there was a topic on this before.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    These things can have so many reasons, that it's always the best option to systematically rule them out., even if they seem unlikely.

Are you running the latest Graphics and Audio drivers?

You should also check your installers and it doesn't hurt to test your memory as well.
    MD5 Check
    Please download and install Hashcheck.
    Then unzip and copy the attached MD5 File into the folder that contains the installers you downloaded from Telltale.

Finally just double click on the .md5 file for verification and tell us the results.
    Green: File is okay.
    Yellow: File is missing.
    Read: File is corrupt.

Testing your memory:
    Bad memory is often the reason for random crashes. In order to test your memory download http://www.memtest.org/ and make a bootable cd or disk. Start your system from that medium to run the memory test.

It is probably enough to run it for one pass. Look at the lower table that looks like this after one pass is finished:
    Test Pass Errors
    ---- ---- ------
    Std     1      0

If there are errors they are showed in red as in this example:
    2b0bd_1258400911_thb.jpg
This discussion has been closed.