thoughtful question

edited January 2010 in Sam & Max
since i'm a movie maker on youtube (trainlover476) i'd wanna know: if i planned to do a redub of one of the Sam & Max episodes, would i get in trouble with TTG or Steve Purcell? i'd give both of them the credit, and it'd basically be advertising people to buy the game

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Can you be a bit more especific?
  • edited January 2010
    Considering that there IS a Banang Gag video in that site and they are not particularly angry about it, I suppose you can do one if you don't make something like, you know, 10 minutes long or sth.
  • edited January 2010
    it would basically be me and my friends dubbing the episode with us voicing the characters, with some music/sound effects from the game.
  • edited January 2010
    They don't seem to have taken action against the video walkthroughs and stuff on YouTube, so I don't think you need to worry.
  • edited January 2010
    Trogdorman wrote: »
    since i'm a movie maker on youtube (trainlover476) i'd wanna know: if i planned to do a redub of one of the Sam & Max episodes, would i get in trouble with TTG or Steve Purcell? i'd give both of them the credit, and it'd basically be advertising people to buy the game

TTG has nothing to do with the Cartoons, your safe there.
    Steve *could* claim copyright infringement, but considering his history I'd not worry.
    However... the STUDIO that made the S+M series can and possibly will contact you about it if they think they can still wring a few $$$ out of the series. Usually all they do is call youtube and say "take it down, I own it, not him" but there have been other incidents.

Now, if you do it humerously, like have your grandmother voicing Sam and your little sister voicing Max (i.e. as a farse) you can claim parody rights, which keeps you in the legal clear.

If you play it straight though, you *could* get in trouble with the studio. However, if it's just 1 ep and your not selling it, they probably would, at worst, send you a "cease and desist" letter. That's what most companies do.
  • edited January 2010
    As Ashton said, make sure you claim parody rights, and be sure to credit Steve Purcell and the creators of either the game and/or the cartoon episode you want to use.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.