SAM, 6-Foot Shoeless Dog In An Ill-Fitting Suit!

edited January 2010 in Sam & Max
Im doing this for my little brother Nathan.
His favorate character from anything Is Sam (he likes Max just not as much).
Mine, is Max (Sam is funny as hell, but I like Max).
Why he loves him so much is the way they are so much the same, likewise for Max and I. Hes the Sam to my Max.
But one thing is, he cannot find anyone else who preffers Sam over Max. He asked me to post this to see who will say that Sam is their favorate and what it is about him that they like. Anyone?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Max really is nothing without Sam, or at least nothing I'm interested in. I can see Sam working fairly well on his own, but Max? It would boil down to "random" humor, only deriving amusement from the absurdity of it all. I'm sure there are people out there that can and do absorb only that form of "humor", but I'm not thrilled.

So, yeah. Sam's my favorite of the duo. He dresses well, really grounds the noir detective aspects of the duo(however watered down they are), and provides the wit. I'd be happy enough to play Sam & Nobody Else.
  • edited January 2010
    Max really is nothing without Sam, or at least nothing I'm interested in. I can see Sam working fairly well on his own, but Max? It would boil down to "random" humor, only deriving amusement from the absurdity of it all. I'm sure there are people out there that can and do absorb only that form of "humor", but I'm not thrilled.

So, yeah. Sam's my favorite of the duo. He dresses well, really grounds the noir detective aspects of the duo(however watered down they are), and provides the wit. I'd be happy enough to play Sam & Nobody Else.

Hahaha! Yeah I S'poze. My uncle who represents Sam in every way (of course minusing the dog part) Says that Max would never have anything funny to say without Sam. Sam sets up the jokes, Max adds on. No joke Max ever says could be started without Sam saying something.

Example: (BEWARE! May Spoil Stuff!!!)

Sam: "I'd love to give that Jerk Jurgen a peice of my mind!"
    Max: "Or take a peice of his! Mmm... Jerked Jurgen..."
    Sam: "That DOES Sound Tasty!"
  • edited January 2010
    I also have a preference of Sam over Max, as I've always found Sam's random, long winded elaborate phrases and matching wit to be a bit more humorous than Max's random violent antics. Although you really can't have one without the other; they somehow complete each other. Like stale, hard-as-rock cereal and expired milk, for lack of a grossingly better analogy that makes a reference to the series itself.
  • edited January 2010
    I'm a Max guy, but you definitely can't have one without the other. It's like Laurel without Hardy.
  • edited January 2010
    Definatly! Consider this...
    Max:Freelance Police!!!
    OR
    Sam:Freelance Police!!!
    No. No, doesnt work. In any way. It doesnt work.
    SAM & MAX: FREELANCE POLICE!!!
    THERE we go!
  • edited January 2010
    I don't just prefer Sam -- he's one of my favorite damn characters ever. And I don't going around calling any ol' fictional persona a "favorite damn character ever." I mention a few reasons over in this post (which also conforms to what Hyperkinetic Martian and ShaggE point out about Sam & Max "going together" too well to ever separate for good).

Hmm ... there's at least one other thing. Sam is kind of a dork, and I'm a total sucker for dorky characters. But there's the fact that in the Telltale games he's somewhat aware of being a dork, but totally won't admit it and/or frequently tries to cover it up. I find that amusing/endearing for some reason, most likely because I can relate to it all too well.
  • edited January 2010
    Sam beats Max anyday.

Except Wednesday. Damn.
  • edited January 2010
    Sam is essential, there would be no Sam and Max without sam... and likely max would have been sent to the chair by now without Sam's brains to save him.

...but Max is more awesome, I mean he's hyper, insane, and has a freakin sweet LUGER! That's gotta be the most awesome gun in the world!*

*(technically I prefer the ARMS 13mm Jackal, but it doesnt exist yet in this world, so Luger is best IRL, in non-IRL it's 2nd best after the Jackal)
  • edited January 2010
    Sure, seeing some love for Sam rather than the continuous love for the "other character" with less visual details that holds the punchlines for most of the jokes, IS, a great thing. But getting to a point to say "I'd prefer playing Sam and nobody else" is as harsh as saying "Max seems like and IS the more unique and extreme of the duo, therefore he is the better one" in my opinion. I mean, Sam and Max are NOTHING without each other. I wouldn't like playing as a dog in a human world who solves mysteries with a sarcastic manner and makes up one-liner jokes while doing that, yet I wouldn't really like playing as a clueless rabbit-like lifeform that just wanders around and does things we commonly find wrong, abusive, disgusting or harmful, but he is in fact given a purpose of solving a case either.

Dialouges >>>> Monolouges.
  • edited January 2010
    Like light_rises, Sam is one of my favourite characters ever. So I guess I like him more than Max. I like Max a lot too, but Sam is more my type of character.
    I'd be happy enough to play Sam & Nobody Else.
    I do play Sam & Nobody Else (in a roleplay), and it'd definitely be more interesting to be able to play both. They're like two halves of the same character. It's not allowed, though, so I'm making do with my favourite.
  • edited January 2010
    I like Sam better too, but of course I agree with everyone that the best is the two of them together.
  • edited January 2010
    Falanca wrote: »

It takes 2 to tango... and the same number to argue! :D
  • edited January 2010
    I'm a Max gal myself but Sam is still a very strong character. As said above, they both shine when together. Maybe not on their own. :(
  • edited January 2010
    I love them both...
    Who wouldn't like to have two palls like Sam and Max.
    (althoug you might be a bit afraid of max.... friendship can be very painful...)
  • edited January 2010
    Considering how they treat their friends, you're probably better off not having two pals like Sam and Max.
  • edited January 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    Considering how they treat their friends, you're probably better off not having two pals like Sam and Max.

They don't seem to have any sort of qualms about taking anything not bolted down, but at the same time they seem quite loyal as friends. They've gone out of their way to help Sybil and Bosco, and even Jimmy Two-Teeth... however the things they've also done to them... you'd probably have to have the patience of a saint.
  • edited January 2010
    They're like Abbot & Costello: alone they are nothing, together they are everything. Sam sets them up, Max knocks them down.
  • edited January 2010
    I prefer Max (obviously from my avatar pic), but they are kind of essential as a team. They kind of mix each other's antics up a bit, stopping each other from just doing the same thing over and over.
  • edited January 2010
    Falanca wrote: »

Okay, I could hold it for several days (I think) which is a new record!

*teacher mode on*
    The spelling is actually "dialogue" and "monologue".
    The reason there is a U is that "G+E" is pronounced like the s in "treasure" or, if you prefer, like "j" of "dg" in "judge" without the "d" part of the sound.
    To turn it into a "gh" sound, a U in added.
    Kinda like the H in "spaghetti" that is there to harden the G.
    In both case, the added letter is not pronounced, it changed the way another letter is pronounced.

Compare "rogue" and "rouge" for instance. People tend to mix these two. "rogue" has the U added, it's a hard G. "rouge" has a U after a O, and O+U in French is the equivalent of O+O in English. However it doesn't have a U between the G and the E, so it's a soft "j".

A lot of people think French spelling makes no sense. Actually it has rules and is much more consistent than English spelling. (As in, in French the same spelling usually gives the same sound, while in English spelling isn't always a reliable indicator of how to pronounce something).
    But it's true that the rules are quite different from anything used in English, so it can be tricky.
    *teacher mode off*

Wow, that was longer than I thought it would be. Originally was just going to give the right spelling...
    Hope I'm not being annoying. I'm not correcting you in a "you're wrong!" manner, just trying to explain in case you're having trouble understanding how it works.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.