ToMI lags on Radeon 4650

edited January 2010 in Game Support
At the moment I'm really cheesed off. Not only can I not start Catalyst Control Panel on my radeon 4650 card, the mouse lags with Tales on high settings, and through my thorough search this card should be able to play the game on at least 1280x720 maxed without any lag. Can anyone please help me? I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    Make sure your drivers are up to date, as well as directx. But if you can't access catalyst, that's probably a problem with your drivers.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I moved this post to game support.

The Catalyst Control Center requires that .Net 2.0 is installed. Is that the case?

A dxdiag log could also be helpful.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited January 2010
    Ok, here's my dxdiag. I'm also in the process of downloading .net framework 2.0.
    Edit: Looks like I already have .net 2.0 installed. Anways, heres a shot of what happens when I try to enter Catalyst.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Anways, heres a shot of what happens when I try to enter Catalyst.
    What does it show when you click "view problem details"?

Did you uninstall the old driver before installing the new graphics card?
    I would try uninstalling everything ATI related (and other graphics drivers if applicable) and reinstalling the latest ATI driver.

Here's a fresh Via HDA Driver by the way.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Edit: Looks like I already have .net 2.0 installed.
    I just took a deeper look. According to the release notes you need .NET SP1. Since it doesn't specify which one exactly it's best if you install .Net 3.5 SP1 which should include the earlier versions.
  • edited January 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    What does it show when you click "view problem details"?

Did you uninstall the old driver before installing the new graphics card?
    I would try uninstalling everything ATI related (and other graphics drivers if applicable) and reinstalling the latest ATI driver.

Here's a fresh Via HDA Driver by the way.

Ok, here's what it says on problem details. I'll try uninstalling everything ATI. DO I just use the CD or control panel or do I need a special program to do it?
  • edited January 2010
    I just took a deeper look. According to the release notes you need .NET SP1. Since it doesn't specify which one exactly it's best if you install .Net 3.5 SP1 which should include the earlier versions.

Well, I installed it (more like repaired it) and still the same problem occurs. I would still like to know why Tales has such mouse lag, when some people can run the game on even slower cards than me. Can anyone with a radeon 4650 confirm that this is a problem on my end and that it should play the game smoothly?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Ok, here's what it says on problem details. I'll try uninstalling everything ATI. DO I just use the CD or control panel or do I need a special program to do it?

I don't see the "problem details".

You can uninstall it where you uninstall other software as well. What graphics card did you have earlier?

I really can't say much about the 4650. If you get the CCC running you can take a look at the 3D settings which are performance critical.
  • edited January 2010
    I don't see the "problem details".

You can uninstall it where you uninstall other software as well. What graphics card did you have earlier?

I really can't say much about the 4650. If you get the CCC running you can take a look at the 3D settings which are performance critical.

Well, it says something about a kernel.dll file and MOM.exe. The error occurs on any Catalyst related program. Earlier I had an Nvidia Geforce GT220 Gainward card. I'll try and uninstall/reinstall the ATI programs and report back.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Earlier I had an Nvidia Geforce GT220 Gainward card.

From what i've found the 4650 is just a little faster than the GT 220 if you have the DDR3 version.
    If that one was too slow already for graphics level 9 that might be the problem.
  • edited January 2010
    Ok, i uninstalled/reinstalled all ATI programs, but no dice. Oh, and the reason why you didnt see the problem details is coz i uploaded the wrong file. So here it is.
  • edited January 2010
    Ok, now i really need catalyst control panel, or at least some way to change the video card to work for best performance, coz i have now dicoverd that even in really low resolutions like 640x480 have mouse lag, i mean come on! I think it definitely has something to do with my AA settings.
  • edited January 2010
    Playing it in a window seems to have done the trick. It has something to do with the toolbar overlapping the screen which speeds up the mouse. I'm now running the game at1280x720 res with my desktop at 1280x768. It would be better if I could run the game full screen, but I guess I can settle with this for now.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Ok, now i really need catalyst control panel, or at least some way to change the video card to work for best performance, coz i have now dicoverd that even in really low resolutions like 640x480 have mouse lag, i mean come on! I think it definitely has something to do with my AA settings.

That sounds unusual. You could try a clean boot.

As for your CCC problem I can only suggest you to google for other possible solutions.

You could also try earlier versions of the Catalyst Control Center.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited January 2010
    Ok, my dad installed a new power supply, and while he was at it tried to helpfix the issue with Catalyst. The issue was a kernel.dll file, which meant that windows was in trouble, so my Dad had to do a complete reload of windows. Low and behold, Catalyst now works!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Does the game work well in Fullscreen now too and did you have to change the configuration in CCC for that?
  • edited January 2010
    Does the game work well in Fullscreen now too and did you have to change the configuration in CCC for that?

No dice for fullscreen, but windowed mode is working well. I tried to turn all anti-aliasing settings down and changed settings to best performance, but to no avail.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    No dice for fullscreen, but windowed mode is working well. I tried to turn all anti-aliasing settings down and changed settings to best performance, but to no avail.

Is it just the mouse pointer that lags in fullscreen, or the entire game?
  • edited January 2010
    Is it just the mouse pointer that lags in fullscreen, or the entire game?

Just the mouse pointer, and the mouse seems better in the menu, which would normally make sense, but I've heard that alot of people who managed to get the game working at perfect mouse speed in-game get lag in the menu. And there is still lag on really low resolutions too. At the moment though, I'm happy playing in windowed mode if it means no lag. After all, I did play episodes 4 and 5 windowed, and that was with my old card at quality 1.
This discussion has been closed.