SBCG4AP demo= instant crash

edited January 2010 in Game Support
Hello,

Whenever I try to play the demo, it crashes and my compy restarts(or I have to restart it if I disable crash restart.) I can only get to the main game menu(for a second or two) after I click on the big button in the first screen. I've tried reinstalling the game, even tried it with the second demo and the same thing happens. :(

DXDIAG:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)
Language: Russian (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: AWARD_
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) , MMX, 3DNow, ~1.0GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 264MB used, 793MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Comments

• edited January 2010
    gifty wrote: »
    Hello,

Whenever I try to play the demo, it crashes and my compy restarts(or I have to restart it if I disable crash restart.) I can only get to the main game menu(for a second or two) after I click on the big button in the first screen. I've tried reinstalling the game, even tried it with the second demo and the same thing happens. :(

DXDIAG:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)
    Language: Russian (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: AWARD_
    System Model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) , MMX, 3DNow, ~1.0GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 264MB used, 793MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I may be wrong here, but you may be expecting too much out of an older system. I honestly haven't seen an original Athlon in 6 or 7 years.
  • edited January 2010
    Hmm, is it really that old? I can play most games fine, (Nancy Drew Ransom of the 7 Ships, MYST,Sherlock Holmes, etc.) I remember playing SBCG4AP a while ago on this computer and it worked fine, it wasn't the demo, though. :confused:
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Does your windows user name contain Cyrillic or other non ASCII characters?

Have you updated your audio-, video drivers and DirectX.

Can you give us a full dxdiag log?

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited January 2010
    nope, K-HOME is the name. The Disk(C, D, etc.) names and some folders are in cyrillic, though(could be the problem, I've had it before!). Here is the full dxdiag, (if it works, winzip gave me an error.), oh and my drivers are pretty up-to-date, I couldn't get the sound driver update. :(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Description: Aureal Audio
    Date and Size: 10/5/2001 14:13:46, 702080 bytes

That one's old for sure.
    You could try to uninstall/disable the sound card for testing purposes. Same goes for all non-essential usb devices, e.g. the PenTablet I see there.
  • edited January 2010
    maybe it's the tablet that's causing the problem?? I don't think I used a tablet when I played it that while ago. I'll try it(and the sound is old...) and see...
  • edited January 2010
    Hold on. A USB Pen Tablet can mess up the computer?

Oh boy...
  • edited January 2010
    well, I tried the old school mouse and still had the same problem, so I don't think so. Windows error system told me it's a) a faulty driver b) virus or c) system error.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    well, I tried the old school mouse and still had the same problem, so I don't think so. Windows error system told me it's a) a faulty driver b) virus or c) system error.

Did you try disabling the sound card already?
  • edited January 2010
    yes, I even disabled the multimedia audio controller, did the system error check that windows recommended, and scanned my computer for viruses. I still have a crash restart even earlier than before.:(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    yes, I even disabled the multimedia audio controller, did the system error check that windows recommended, and scanned my computer for viruses. I still have a crash restart even earlier than before.:(

Does the crash give you a bluescreen with some information?

You could also take a look into windows "event viewer" to see what gets logged around the time of the crash.
  • edited January 2010
    nope, just a restart. When I disabled crash restarting, there was just an unresponsive blank screen. Windows said that it was indeed a blue screen error.

Event viewer? It said that there was a system error. I guess I'll have to check and clean for system errors again...
This discussion has been closed.