TOMI 4 won't load at all

edited January 2010 in Game Support
I have had no problems with any of the previous chapters, and have played a substantial amount of the fourth chapter (am already on the fourth course of the feast of the senses). However lately I have had trouble launching the game.
At first it would just get stuck during gameplay, and I had to forcibly reset my computer (nothing worked). Now it won't load at all. When I launch it the normal window launches, I press launch and then a white/black window launches but is just stuck, I have to terminate it. Either that or an actual error appears saying it crashed (Offset: 05ce9138 is one of the things it says).
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game twice but it didn't help. I also make sure to close all other apps. and windows while attempting to launch and restarting the computer.
Please help, I want to play Monkey Island!

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Do the previous episodes still work?

If they do maybe the prefs.prop got corrupted while your computer crashed.
    Try renaming it. A new one should be generated the next time you start the game.

You should find the prefs.prop in the folder
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
    or
    %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
    depending on your windows version.

In order to find out why your computer crashed in the first place a dxdiag log could be helpful.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited January 2010
    I'm not sure what I should rename that file to...

I am trying to attach the dxdiag file, but it says it's invalid as a zip file, and too big as a text file...

TOMI 1 (the only one I have installed right now other than 4) is working absolutely fine!

I tried updating my directx, but the installer said my directx was already fine.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Asya86 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what I should rename that file to...

I am trying to attach the dxdiag file, but it says it's invalid as a zip file, and too big as a text file...

TOMI 1 (the only one I have installed right now other than 4) is working absolutely fine!

I tried updating my directx, but the installer said my directx was already fine.

The idea was to rename it arbitrarily so that it's not found by the game anymore. Alternatively you can of course move it away or delete it.

If you get the "invalid file" error message make sure the name of your zip file actually ends on ".zip".
    If everything else fails upload it to rapidshare and post the link to the file.
  • edited January 2010
    Ok, I realize now that it was making a .rar file accidentally, it should work now. I tried renaming that other file but it didn't help...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    You could try a clean boot first.

Booting clean in Windows XP:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
    Driver Date/Size: 7/26/2007 15:18:28, 57344 bytes

Description: Realtek HD Audio output
    Date and Size: 8/10/2007 13:52:44, 4603904 bytes

I would also try some new drivers at this point.
    What is your exact Toshiba Satellite A200 model?
    There are a lot and we could look what drivers Toshiba provides.

Often laptop manufacturers only offer old drivers though and it's worth to try installing the hardware manufacturers reference drivers.
    You will probably be able to install the original Realtek HDA Driver for audio.
    You can try to install the Intel GMA 945 .exe Driver, but it will probably give you an error message.
    In case that happens Intel provides instructions on how to install the .zip version of that driver.
  • edited January 2010
    I updated the soung thingie and did the system reboot and the game worked, managed to finish chapter 4!

Chapter 5 seems to work fine now...

Thanks a lot!
This discussion has been closed.