Forum downtime today! [update: done!]

David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
edited January 2010 in Site Support
Hello!

We'll be performing some forum maintenance at around ~2:30pm Pacific today (roughly 4 hours from the time of posting). That means that we'll be taking the forums down temporarily while some stuff gets moved around and shaken, then put back. We expect that it won't take more than an hour and a half to complete, and then we'll turn 'em back on.

See you on the other side!

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Aww! I won't know what to do with myself... Well, as long as it's epic. (Or if I come out as a mod) Who said that?!

What the... What did you do? (Just curious.)
  • edited January 2010
    What will happen to the forum? Will we notice the changes, or will it just be background junk?
  • edited January 2010
    What will happen to the forum? Will we notice the changes, or will it just be background junk?

It's done. I don't know what they did though...
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    To my knowledge, we have not yet had our forum downtime. The estimated time is still 2:30.
  • edited January 2010
    nikasaur wrote: »
    To my knowledge, we have not yet had our forum downtime. The estimated time is still 2:30.

Darn. Wrong again. Then why are the forums so jumpy?
  • edited January 2010
    nikasaur wrote: »

Really? I got a message saying the forum was down, and underneath was written

Launch of the screaming website (which made me laugh)

Maybe thats the reason maintenance is due.
  • edited January 2010
    Friar wrote: »
    Really? I got a message saying the forum was down, and underneath was written

Launch of the screaming website (which made me laugh)

Maybe thats the reason maintenance is due.

Maybe the update will make the forums scream!:D
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2010
    Since the forum will go "Oh Crumbs" can we, at least, get a cookie... :)

Anyway, good look with the maintenance...
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    And we're back! Thanks for your patience :)
  • edited January 2010
    I've seen terrible things.
  • edited January 2010
    David E wrote: »
    And we're back! Thanks for your patience :)

What'd you do?
  • edited January 2010
    TomPravetz wrote: »
    What'd you do?

A bit of magic here, a bit of spice there, and a non-modding of TomPravetz everywhere.
  • edited January 2010
    A bit of magic here, a bit of spice there, and a non-modding of TomPravetz everywhere.

Noooooo!!!!! My life is over. DX
  • edited January 2010
    Noooooo!!!!! My life is over. DX

Eh, sorry Tom, that's how it rolls.

Watch out for the spice though.
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2010
    I sense we're not out of woods yet.
    I have received a "Database Error" page....
    edited January 2010
    jmm wrote: »
    I sense we're not out of woods yet.
    I have received a "Database Error" page....

Hey jmm, what were you doing (or attempting to do) when you got the error?
  • edited January 2010
    David E wrote: »
    Hey jmm, what were you doing (or attempting to do) when you got the error?

I had one of those earlier, aroung 1.15ish (PST) i think. I just refreshed the page (i had gotten sidetracked for forty minutes by youtube) and that message came up. I then tried to access the forums through the main page, but upon clicking "Forums" I got the "launch of the screaming website" message.
    edited January 2010
    What'd you do?

As one of the first steps of what will be an ongoing effort to beef up our site's performance, we've moved the forum data over to a new server. We'll ultimately be moving the whole site+data to new machines in the not-too-distant future. Woo!
    Friar wrote: »
    I had one of those earlier, aroung 1.15ish (PST) i think. I just refreshed the page (i had gotten sidetracked for forty minutes by youtube) and that message came up. I then tried to access the forums through the main page, but upon clicking "Forums" I got the "launch of the screaming website" message.

That error took place before the move was underway, but could have been the result of some preliminary tweaks by the dev team. If you see any more weirdness, please report it here!
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm, opening a thread with lots of images. Probably just a fluke since a few seconds and a refresh later worked.
  • edited January 2010
    Just tried to open the main page, and just got a grey screen, with a small square with a ripped paper icon in it. The page title (on my tab) Read "oh crumbs"

I then tried to log onto the forums directly, and it said there was a database error. Once i refreshed it a couple of times it loaded though.
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, the server farted a couple of times this morning. Sorry 'bout that! Shouldn't happen again.
This discussion has been closed.