Frozen screen in Fright of bumblebees

edited July 2010 in Game Support
After capturing all the bumblebees in the front yard, Grommit has all the tools necessary(frying pan, answering machine) to proceed . Unfortunately, the screen freezes when I try to select the downspout or the cheese in front of Paneer's store or the the news stand! Any suggestions so I can move forward in the game???

Comments

• CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    We're in the same leaky boat!

A few posts below yours you will see mine. There in lies my tale. No solution so far. I have reported it to Support. I thought it was just me, but I see it is not.

I think I'm doing this right...

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14789

If this doesn't work. Just scan your eyes down until you see me "Cyd".

I hope Support comes us with something.

Cyd :D
  • edited January 2010
    I agree, we have the same dilemma. How ironic......purchased also at Best Buy and ditto on pc system. How frustrating for us to get this far in such a fun game and to be stopped short. Hope we get some "resolve"! Stay tuned.... and thanks for your feedback!
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    gardenguru wrote: »
    I agree, we have the same dilemma. How ironic......purchased also at Best Buy and ditto on pc system. How frustrating for us to get this far in such a fun game and to be stopped short. Hope we get some "resolve"! Stay tuned.... and thanks for your feedback!

Go back to my thread and you'll see Support did reply there and in an email to me. Nick, from TellTale Support, has posted some save games you might want to try. They do start up, but they did not solve my problem. After watching YouTube I can see there are cut scenes that are not loading right before my problems begin.

I hope you have better luck.

If both our disc from Best Buy are bad...oh well, I may try for a replacement anyway.

The rest of the episodes play great!

Cyd :)
  • edited January 2010
    Read all the "support" notes that essentially got you no where and decided not to waste my time trying all the saves and zip file routine. Exchanged my game for a new one today at Best Buy. Their policy of exchange for same game is without question the "best". Now the hope is that this disc is flawless. Wish you the same success and happy gaming!
  • CydCyd
    edited January 2010
    gardenguru wrote: »
    Read all the "support" notes that essentially got you no where and decided not to waste my time trying all the saves and zip file routine. Exchanged my game for a new one today at Best Buy. Their policy of exchange for same game is without question the "best". Now the hope is that this disc is flawless. Wish you the same success and happy gaming!

Did the new disc work? If not, go to the original thread. Support has posted a download of the episode. It worked perfectly for me.

Cyd
  • edited February 2010
    New disc worked without a glitch. Glad your frustration has also passed!
  • edited February 2010
    I exchanged my game at Best Buy and it still has the same problem freezing in exactly the same spot. When it's working right and Grommit goes to town (after the giant bees are all shot) there's a video clip; when it's not working right - there is no video clip and the game freezes.

I did get the game download from Telltale support so I was able to get past that point but it would be nice to have a game that I bought in a store that works.

Gardenguru: Was the game you got from Best Buy in a blue or brown box - mine was in a blue box - the same as the one I exchanged?

Thanks,

Robert
  • edited February 2010
    rmelone wrote: »
    I exchanged my game at Best Buy and it still has the same problem freezing in exactly the same spot. When it's working right and Grommit goes to town (after the giant bees are all shot) there's a video clip; when it's not working right - there is no video clip and the game freezes.

I did get the game download from Telltale support so I was able to get past that point but it would be nice to have a game that I bought in a store that works.

Gardenguru: Was the game you got from Best Buy in a blue or brown box - mine was in a blue box - the same as the one I exchanged?

Thanks,

Robert
    The retail version only comes in a blue box, the brown box is for those who purchased the game directly from Telltale.
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks for the answer.

I guess my next question would be, has this problem been seen on any games sold by Telltale (brown box) and what could be unique about the blue box games that have this problem? Also, did some blue box games play ok - without the freeze?

Robert
  • edited February 2010
    rmelone wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer.

I guess my next question would be, has this problem been seen on any games sold by Telltale (brown box) and what could be unique about the blue box games that have this problem? Also, did some blue box games play ok - without the freeze?

Robert

Nobody can answer that as those of us getting it from Telltale haven't received it yet. There was more on the disc so it took longer to produce.
  • edited February 2010
    Same Problem. Same circumstances, 19.99, Best Buy, etc.

XP SP2
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
    version x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4
    memory 2048 MB

Obvious the problem is the software.

No fix yet? The kids are very disappointed.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2010
    For those of you still having the problem, please email support if you haven't. We have a rather cludgy work-around for the moment, but we are still researching the root of the problem.
  • edited February 2010
    Will,

I did receive the game download to get by the problem but I was wondering if there is any word on when a permanent fix to the existing store bought games will be available?

Thanks,

Robert
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2010
    It seems that we've tracked down a potential solution, but we are just trying to figure out how best to implement it. Unfortunately, things are really busy around here, so it's just taking a little time to get testing resources and so forth. I'll update the thread with information when I get it.
  • edited March 2010
    I renamed the env.TownExterior_Gromit.dlg file - as noted in a different post - and that fixed the freeze problem. I realize I could have deleted it as suggested in the other post but I thought I'd play it safe and just rename it.

So, I'm making a note and including it with the game for future reference.

I don't know if this is the right way to fix the problem but it does work.

Robert
  • edited April 2010
    Was there ever a permanent solution to this?
  • edited July 2010
    Same problem (hung on grommit in town scene), same reason (bought DVD at Best Buy), same solution (delete grommit exterior file). But I have not seen a solution to the second hang-point: Grommit being chased by the queen bee. The only interaction allowed to me at that point is with the inventory - nothing on the main screen. If I return home via the map, the game resets to BEFORE Wallace rescues Felicity, and then runs through the cut scene again until I am stuck on the chase scene again. What is the fix for this?
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Pointy wrote: »
    Same problem (hung on grommit in town scene), same reason (bought DVD at Best Buy), same solution (delete grommit exterior file). But I have not seen a solution to the second hang-point: Grommit being chased by the queen bee.

Delete the second file mentioned in this post, perhaps?
This discussion has been closed.