How do I know if a game has an update/patch?

edited January 2010 in Game Support
If there is an update/patch/fix for one of Telltale's games (ie., if TMI's Chapter 1 has LeChuck's lines replaced with Earl Boen's voice,) and I'm not paying regular attention to my newsletter, how do I know if or when there is an update for a game?

I do notice the version numbers in the corners of the digital downloads of my games:

versionx.png

But how would I know if there is a newer version?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    As far as I know if a game was updated you'd need to manually re-download the game/chapter itself - basically they don't automatically update as far as I'm aware.
  • edited January 2010
    yes, but how do I know if it's been updated on the website to need redownloading?
  • edited January 2010
    I would imagine there would be at least a post/thread on this forum and probably a blog put up as well. Other than that, I don't know.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    Updates are very few and far between. If we do an update, it's usually in the first week after the game has been launched, and it's due to some obvious glaring issue that needed to be fixed right away.

Once in a blue moon we will do a major season overhaul just to get it up to a new, more manageable codebase, but those are rarely bug-fixing builds.
  • SegSeg
    edited January 2010
    In addition, the wrapper does have the ability to communicate a newer version is available. If/When this happens, you would still need to download and reinstall the full installer.

In case someone asks, Steam releases will update automatically unless you very explicitly turned off auto-update per title.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Seg wrote: »
    In addition, the wrapper does have the ability to communicate a newer version is available. If/When this happens, you would still need to download and reinstall the full installer.

I don't know how it works now, but it would be great like this:
    - User runs installer. Installer checks for new version and notifies user if applicable
    - User runs game. Launcher checks ... "

That way it would be hard to miss a new version is available.
  • SegSeg
    edited January 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    - User runs installer. Installer checks for new version and notifies user if applicable
    - User runs game. Launcher checks ... "

That way it would be hard to miss a new version is available.

It's the launcher that checks. Specifically the HTML can be changed to say "Hey, new thing!" instead of the existing content by comparing the display version number. Then the user will be asked to go to a link and download the new thing.

For the installer to check, it's best that the user get the game installed and playing the game, even if there is an update. If there's something that says "this is wrong," the likelihood of the user actually playing the game drops considerably. Even the Sparkle framework won't check for updates when the user launches an application for the first time.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    It's the launcher that checks. Specifically the HTML can be changed to say "Hey, new thing!" instead of the existing content by comparing the display version number. Then the user will be asked to go to a link and download the new thing.

That sounds good :-)
    For the installer to check, it's best that the user get the game installed and playing the game, even if there is an update. If there's something that says "this is wrong," the likelihood of the user actually playing the game drops considerably. Even the Sparkle framework won't check for updates when the user launches an application for the first time.

I was thinking of a message like "There's a new version available. Do you want to download it? [download] [continue installation]".

I get the idea though of the message distracting the user from what he intended to do in the first place. It would be relevant only if the user uses an installer he archived at some time, or uses a deprecated download mirror anyway (if such a thing ever exists).
  • edited January 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    how do I know if or when there is an update for a game?

If you see pigs in the sky, you'll know...
This discussion has been closed.