SAm & Max Hit the Road: Special Edition?

edited February 2010 in Sam & Max
I'm sure this has been asked a few/couple of times, but do you think LucasArts/Telltale will make a Sam & Max Hit the Road: Special Edition? The original game is considered a classic adventure game, so why haven't they made one yet?

And yes, I am aware that LucasArts doesn't own the Sam & Max franchise anymore, but maybe they can team up with Telltale like they did with Tales of Monkey Island (they did, right?) or maybe they can own the licence for just a little bit.

Any thoughts (besides the fact I've probably answered my own question)?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    I think this question has been answered several times by annoyed fans/TTG Employees.
  • edited January 2010
    I think it's a possibility..Monkey Island:SE was extremely successful.. LucasArts didn't release sam & max to Steam. Sam & Max is the other old lucasarts franchise running. Why wouldn't you release a special edition? It would be great on the iPhone as well.
  • edited January 2010
    Sam and Max already had voices, so the changes would be purely graphical. I'm not sure how many people would re-buy it when it probably would be very different in the end.
  • edited January 2010
    I would re-buy it probably, though you are right that since the game already had voice-overs that the graphics wont effect the game as much.
  • edited January 2010
    Perhaps LA is planning on releasing MI2:SE and S&M:SE soon? I would so buy both of them.
  • edited January 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Sam and Max already had voices, so the changes would be purely graphical. I'm not sure how many people would re-buy it when it probably would be very different in the end.

Well it's not available anywhere in America. It would make sense to release it. Also I think if Monkey Island sold well on the iPhone, Sam & Max:Hit the Road could do just as well. It's a classic.
  • edited January 2010
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Well it's not available anywhere in America. It would make sense to release it. Also I think if Monkey Island sold well on the iPhone, Sam & Max:Hit the Road could do just as well. It's a classic.

Agreed completely! :D

I was a wee bit young when it originally came out and didn't get into the franchise until "Ice Station Santa" was first released so I kinda missed out...
  • edited January 2010
    I played Hit the Road when I was 13. It left a lasting impression on me... that's why I hang around here all these years later. I think it shaped my sense of humor. Just one of those experiences. I don't remember ever laughing so much at a game as when I first played Hit the Road.
  • edited January 2010
    I dont think a special edition of hit the road would work. You can't improve on perfect, It's graphics are good and cartoony, and the voice acting is funny.

MI2:SE would work though, as Guybrushes beard would be more visible and Largo would have a voice (which I have heard none)
  • edited January 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    I dont think a special edition of hit the road would work. You can't improve on perfect, It's graphics are good and cartoony, and the voice acting is funny.

MI2:SE would work though, as Guybrushes beard would be more visible and Largo would have a voice (which I have heard none)

I wouldn't call hit the road perfect, you could scrub up the pixels and give it a cleaner look and still keep it in the same style.
  • edited January 2010
    I would definitely buy it.

As well as many other collectors. :)
  • edited January 2010
    Considering that the original CD-ROM I have of the game is no longer functional without the use of an emulator, yes, I would buy a re-release of it, even if the changes are only slight at best.
  • edited January 2010
    I played Hit the Road when I was 13. It left a lasting impression on me... that's why I hang around here all these years later. I think it shaped my sense of humor. Just one of those experiences. I don't remember ever laughing so much at a game as when I first played Hit the Road.

apart from 5 further years, I could have said the same :) that game was definitely a shocker - especially the ending.
  • edited January 2010

I think you could definitely improve the graphics.. Why wouldn't you want a version in HD?
  • edited January 2010
    because HD dosent look different enough from regular for me to care
  • edited January 2010
    because HD dosent look different enough from regular for me to care

You obviously don't have a big screen tv or monitor to appreciate it then
  • edited January 2010
    A re-release would be nice, but there wouldn't be much to change for a SE.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    A special edition could be a good way to introduce new fans to the game - the dated graphics and necessity of an emulator could turn some people off buying the original version.

I've never played the original, but I love the TTG continuation of the series and would certainly buy a special edition of Hit the Road.

I wonder what proportion of SMI:SE purchases were made by existing fans who already own (or have played) the original, and how many were new fans being introduced to the series.
  • edited January 2010
    I doubt they would make an SE for S&M:Hit the Road, because then you could say they should make SE's for any LucasArts IP that runs under ScummVM (such as Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, The Dig, the Indiana Jones games, Zak McKracken, Loom, or Curse of Monkey Island.)

The main reason why I say this is HIGHLY unlikely is because several of these already have versions with voice-acting, meaning that the update would be almost entirely graphical.

...As CMI also has voice-acting, I included it in that list. However MI2 does not, and SMI was successful (financially anyway) so I want them to add voice-acting to MI2 and think that SMI's success and loyal fan base make it a viable option for LA.

Anyway, Hit the Road already has voice-acting so I doubt they would do it.
  • edited January 2010
    I wish they'd just release it for those of us who don't own a copy of the game.
  • edited January 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I doubt they would make an SE for S&M:Hit the Road, because then you could say they should make SE's for any LucasArts IP that runs under ScummVM (such as Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, The Dig, the Indiana Jones games, Zak McKracken, Loom, or Curse of Monkey Island.)
    I'd actually like to see a SE/HD version of Day of the Tentacle, especially if they put in the effort to have hand-drawn cutscenes during the parts that actually felt like cutscenes but weren't. (The introduction to the Chrono-Johns comes to mind.)

I would say the same thing for a SE version of S&M: HtR, but I can't think of any scenes like those that I would like to see animated and edited in a way similar to what TTG has been doing. Maybe the Conroy Bumpus song, but that's about it.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    I wish they'd just release it for those of us who don't own a copy of the game.

Yeah, I'd be happy enough with that.
  • edited February 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »

You'll notice LucasArts released a lot of those games on Steam. There has to be reason why they didn't release Hit the Road and DOTT.
  • edited February 2010
    You'll notice LucasArts released a lot of those games on Steam. There has to be reason why they didn't release Hit the Road and DOTT.

They didn't? How odd.
  • edited February 2010
    I wonder if LucasArts is waiting for Season 3 to begin...Or conclude...

Either way, I have a feeling it won't be long before we see it on Steam. If not, hello Amazon.com, my old friend ><
  • edited February 2010
    Well, most likely Sam and Max because of the lost copyrights.

Day of the Tentacle? We can only guess (or... dream!)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.