Help me! I am trying to activate 1st episode of Wallace and Gromit

edited February 2010 in Game Support
Telltale Friends please help me.
I just installed the 1st epi for wallace and gromit. I started it and it ask me to log in. That is my first problem. It seems after i put my password and email, i get this error....

Sorry, we ran into problems.
We werent able to log in.....try logging in by the serial no. and.....

So i tried the serial no, and it still does not work. After that i tried to do manual activation. Then came my second problem. When i go to Step 1, and email request code to support@telltalegames.com, they will say...

Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed.

So i am really out of ideas. I tried redownloading it again and still have the same problem. i tried switching off the antivirus and still will not work. Please help me anyone who read this. This is my first telltale games and i really want to support this team.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    What Operating System are you running?

Is the latest Internet Explorer installed?
    The Launcher uses Internet Explorer for that part and works better with recent versions. An update could get it working.

How do you normally send E-Mails?
    You can send the request code, serial number, and game name the same way without having to configure a mail client on your system.
  • edited February 2010
    I am using Windows 7. I think i am using IE 8. I dont know how to check but i guess it is the latest one. How i send e-mails? I am using hotmail. Sorry i cant really understand the last line. What is mail client?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    I am using Windows 7. I think i am using IE 8. I dont know how to check but i guess it is the latest one. How i send e-mails? I am using hotmail. Sorry i cant really understand the last line. What is mail client?

Yes, it comes with IE 8. The problem seems to be something different then.
    Can you open http://www.telltalegames.com/ in Internet Explorer on that PC?
    What kind of Internet connection do you have (Provider, Devices, ...)?

A mail client is some software you can install and configure on your PC in order to send, receive and organize E-Mails. Noways a lot of people just use a web interface though for various reasons.
    If you click on the link in the game launcher it wants to start the mail client you have configured on your system, which it fails to do if you haven't.
    That's not a problem though, because all you have to do is write an E-Mail containing the request code, serial number, and game name to support@telltalegames.com, at best with a subject like "Manual Unlock request". You can do that with hotmail.
  • edited February 2010
    I can go to telltalegames.com on IE8. You were saying that "mail client you have configured on your system". So how do i check to know whether i have configured it? sorry i am not really good PC user.

Lastly you were saying writing and E-mail to them. Can i use my hotmail and send to support@telltalegames.com?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Lastly you were saying writing and E-mail to them. Can i use my hotmail and send to support@telltalegames.com?

Yes you can.

If you want to install a mail client you first have to choose which one.
    The easiest way is probably to download and install Windows Live Mail. It comes with a package with other applications, so deselect everything you don't want upon installation.
    After installation you start it and enter your hotmail account information. Once that works you have to close it and start it a second time. Then it will offer you to become the default mail application. If you confirm that, you'll be able to send your support mail by clicking on the link in the launcher.
  • edited February 2010
    Ok i done the manual unlock and just sent to support. But i am just wondering why does it not unlock it eventhough i put my serial number?

Lastly, thx alot for your guidance in the installation for Windows Live Mail.

Just want to make sure at the outbox section in Windows Live Hotmail means that i have sent the mail?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Ok i done the manual unlock and just sent to support. But i am just wondering why does it not unlock it eventhough i put my serial number?

Lastly, thx alot for your guidance in the installation for Windows Live Mail.

Just want to make sure at the outbox section in Windows Live Hotmail means that i have sent the mail?

It still needs to connect to the server to check the serial number and activate the game. I haven't checked it, but it probably does something similar to the manual unlock in the background (i.e. exchanging serial number, request code and activation code).

I don't use Windows Live Mail myself, therefore I don't know how it behaves. Outbox sounds a bit like something that still needs to be sent.
    Did you get the automated response from Telltale support yet?
    Otherwise look if you can select the mail to actually send it.
    I would expect your mail to be in the "Sent Items" folder after it was sent.

We can try to find out why it doesn't connect.
    Have you tried it again recently to make sure it wasn't a temporary problem?
    How are you connected to the Internet and by which provider?

You should also try a clean boot to see if it works then.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited February 2010
    Ok i got an automated response from Telltale. Expect to wait a few days for their response. I also tried the game again and it still shows the same error. So i guess it is not temporary problem.
  • edited February 2010
    Hey i manage to unlock through the manual unlock. I want to say thx alot for your time and help. Really appreciated. Thx again
This discussion has been closed.