Tales of Monkey Island Mac Demo--Wait how do I start this again?

edited February 2010 in Game Support
I'm ecstatic that Telltale is porting their stuff to OS X as I haven't used Windows since 2002.

So I downloaded the Mac demo for TOMI from the game's page...but uh...

How do I start this thing? All it asks me to do is login to activate the game that I've purchased. I haven't purchased it, this was supposed to be a demo I'm downloading...

Help plz.

tomi.png

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Download again?
  • edited February 2010
    There should be a demo button just above that log in/unlock box. Did you lose or intentionally disconnect from the internet before you started up? We've been having a little trouble with cases like that and are working on a fix now.
    ________
    Y135LC
  • edited February 2010
    I've had the same thing happen. Tried downloading it twice, and both times I'm presented with the same screen as above. The connection was fine during download. For what it's worth, I'm downloading on Firefox in Snow Leopard, and the file it is downloading when I click the demo download link is "launchofthescreamingnarwhal.dmg".

Hope this helps.
  • edited February 2010
    You have to DISconnect from the internet to get this thing to work. Figure that one out.

But I could save you the trouble and just tell you to delete the demo now. The game is atrocious from a graphics/UI standpoint. With graphics quality on max, there is NO antialiasing, so even at 1080p it still looks horrible. And then there's the click-hold-drag for moving Guybrush. You might expect after releasing the button that the mouse cursor would be on him (close to the middle of the screen), but instead the cursor is at the very edge in whichever direction you were dragging... unless it's one of those random times where the mouse has jumped to some other corner for no reason.

There's no way I could stand to play this game through. To the programmers all I can say is, "WTF?"
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks for the tip - turned off my internet connection and sure enough, the demo option was available.

I agree that the drag to move system isn't great, but it's certainly not going to stop me from enjoying the game. As for your comments on the graphics, I can only assume there's something wrong on your end there, as the high-res version looks great on my screen. Sure, some of the textures are a little low resolution and blurry up close, but I probably wouldn't have even noticed had I not been looking for the bad graphics you were referring to. The lighting and shading are also pretty dang sweet too.
This discussion has been closed.