Bug report: Renaming the ".app" loses settings

thpthp
edited February 2010 in Game Support
Happy to see the Telltale Tool going cross-platform (and waiting for a possible Linux port ;), I tried downloading Monkey Island 104 for Mac and unpacked it, then started it ("MonkeyIsland104" or so). After a first play, I went ahead and renamed the ".app" to "Tales of Monkey Island 104", because the other name looked strange, and re-started the game. I noticed just now that the settings (and savegames?) are saved in $HOME/Library/Telltale Games/{basename-of-.app}. This means that when someone plays some levels, saves their progress and then decides to rename the .app folder, their savegames would be "lost" (or at least it would not be obvious for the user to know how to move the files to the correct folder).

Maybe you can determine the subfolder of $HOME/Library/Telltale Games/ by using the CFBundleIdentifier or some other (hardcoded) value that does not change when the .app is renamed, which would prevent this problem.

OTOH, maybe it's just me who renames the apps, and so it's a non-issue (having the apps have a "cute" folder name by default might prevent users from renaming their apps..).

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Mac OS X doesn't display the .app extension by default. It'll also give a warning that if you do try to rename it, the change of extension might cause the application to be displayed as a folder.
  • thpthp
    edited February 2010
    hoytt wrote: »
    Mac OS X doesn't display the .app extension by default. It'll also give a warning that if you do try to rename it, the change of extension might cause the application to be displayed as a folder.

I'm not talking about removing the .app extension. I'm talking about changing the part that's in front of it. This bug is independent of whether or not the .app extension is displayed or not.

Example:

Rename "MonkeyIsland104.app" to "Tales of Monkey Island 104.app" (in the file manager, you rename "MonkeyIsland104" to "Tales of Monkey Island 104", which has the same effect). There's no warning about changing app names, obviously.

(Maybe the title of this thread was misleading...)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2010
    I'm not entirely sure how our app is set up, but I'll certainly pass this along. There's a lot of these little things that we are still tweaking and figuring out. Thanks for info!
  • edited February 2010
    thp wrote: »
    I noticed just now that the settings (and savegames?) are saved in $HOME/Library/Telltale Games/{basename-of-.app}.

It's also customary to put files for an application in the Application Support folder. So it should be in "~/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/Monkey Island 101" for example. The folders right in the Library folder are generally all Apple or operating system related.
  • edited February 2010
    Yeah, PLEASE follow convention and put this stuff in Application Support, not directly inside the user's Library. Scattering stuff all over the US is usually bad idea =)
This discussion has been closed.