Mouse Problems on Mac Version

edited March 2010 in Game Support
I'm having a problem with my mouse constantly going down to the lower left hand corner when trying to get Guybrush to walk in the first episode. I have a 2.4gz duo core iMac 20". Anyone else seeing this?

Dan

Comments

• edited February 2010
    I would have posted this in the "Game Support" thread... Just advice for next time.
  • edited February 2010
    I'm having some problems.
    For example I can use the mouse for walking. I click and drag but Guybrush always goes in a random direction.

Additionally the cursor is invisible when after I quit MI and it doesn't become visible until I manage to exit the "epilogue" window.
  • edited February 2010
    I'm having this problem too (playing episode 2). Any ideas for a fix? I'm running a MacBook Pro with an external usb mouse.
  • edited February 2010
    +1 I'm afraid - impossible to move Guybrush via the mouse, cursor keeps disappearing into the bottom-left corner, and very difficult to click on things. OSX 10.6 MacBook Pro.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2010
    It's a problem we are looking into but I have nothing official to report yet. I know it's non-ideal, but WASD shouldn't give you any problems in the meantime.
  • edited February 2010
    Same here. This is kind of annoying, and I'm only playing Ep. 1!

Happens both with an external mouse or with the trackpad, on macbook pro with 10.6.

the game is otherwise absolutely amazing!! Love the atmosphere back!
  • edited February 2010
    Same here. This is kind of annoying, and I'm only playing Ep. 1!

Happens both with an external mouse or with the trackpad, on macbook pro with 10.6.

the game is otherwise absolutely amazing!! Love the atmosphere back!

Hi again guys,

Don't know why but it's now working fine. All I did was configure my magic mouse. But the best part is it now works also with the trackpad..

Go wonder...
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited March 2010
    How did you configure the Magic Mouse (what settings are you using?)?
  • edited March 2010
    dmillar74 wrote: »
    I'm having a problem with my mouse constantly going down to the lower left hand corner when trying to get Guybrush to walk in the first episode. I have a 2.4gz duo core iMac 20". Anyone else seeing this?

Dan
    Same here.
    Apple Magic Mouse.
    iMac.

I have to use WASD.
    Just finished Chapter 1 anyway.
    nevil wrote: »
    Additionally the cursor is invisible when after I quit MI and it doesn't become visible until I manage to exit the "epilogue" window.
    This, too.
    edited March 2010
    Possible temp solution to the mouse issues. Could you try setting the game to windowed mode and then setting back to fullscreen? That seemed to fix it for me, for whatever reason.
    edited March 2010
    Will gives a temporary solution in message #93 in this thread and... it almost works.
    Just one thing.
    To quit full screen mode, use command-f (it should bring the desktop with the music and sound effects playing in the background). Use command-f a second time to go to windowed mode.
    Then, use command-enter to go back to full screen.
    The mouse controls should be much better after that.
  • edited March 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Possible temp solution to the mouse issues. Could you try setting the game to windowed mode and then setting back to fullscreen? That seemed to fix it for me, for whatever reason.
    Will try now, I'll let you know.

edit. It does improve, you can actually rotate Guybrush and all, but he still walks instead of running... you still have to press a key on the keyboard to make him run, right? is it supposed to be like that?

That said, it seems other flaws occur when using this method, when I closed the game a windowed picture of the game was still there for some reason, which never happened before.

I prefer WASD at this point, no big deal.
    I also tried to put Graphics to "1" instead of "9" just for testing and it's still pretty cool, even if you do lose all the shiny current-gen effects.
    edited March 2010
    In addition to my version of the solution, to get the controls to work, when you are in windowed mode, move Guybrush around BEFORE you come back to full screen mode or the problem will still occur.
    As for running, in the PC version, you had to hold the left button of the mouse (to move Guybrush) and the right button (while holding the left one) would make him run.
    It's not quite as easy with a Magic Mouse (Shift it is, then ;))!
    edited March 2010
    No idea how you do it with the magic mouse, but holding both mouse buttons should make you run. Or shift as Macfly said.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm having a related issue: When I first get on The Screaming Narwal in the first game, I suddenly lost cursor text. I played with the text settings and nothing happened.
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, that's certainly odd. Did it ever come back?
  • edited March 2010
    Wow, just, wow, I have no idea if I should attribute all the problems this game has to laziness, malice, or incompetence. And at my current level of frustration, I don't know which of those answers is best. Writing this helps, but I won't get catharsis without it actually being posted.

First this single-player game requires me to sign up for an account before I'm given the download I paid for.

Then for some reason the game is split into 5 different downloads for no visible reason.

Then after installing the game doesn't work with the code you've been given. You need to let it back online to "unlock", but don't worry, you need to wait forever for the unlock server(s) to come back online. Or you can email tech support to get the offline unlock code, but again don't worry, we've made sure tech support's email address on that screen can't be copied & pasted into the "to:" line, so shuffle all your windows so that you can to hand type it.
    Automated and unhelpful reply arrives within seconds. Okay, so atleast your email server is working.

Five hours later I'm ready to try again, and still no reply from tech support. Well maybe the unlock server is up. SUCCESS! Oh wait, it is unlocked, but now crashes when you try to play the game. Okay, well maybe something weird happened, just launch it again. Crash. Again. Crash. Again. Crash.

Check my reciept/download page. Nothing about crashes and how to fix them. Check the FAQs, nothing there either.
    Check the forums. A new version of the game that fixes this crash has been launched, but you may or may not get it if you click the download link, as not all servers were updated simultaneously.
    Wait until next morning to allow the servers to settle down.

Morning. Redownload. Reinstall. Hurray! I can get into the game. A couple garbage screens between "launch game" and the game starts. Long periods of logo showing, which appear on their own screen then the logos get shown again inside the real game. Oh and we found the worst possible water drop sound effects while these logos linger on them within the game.

LeChuck. Finally the game is actually beginning. Okay I have control. Get the recipe which is off screen. Click. Nothing. Right-click. Nothing. Click and hold and wait for actions menu like in previous games. Nope. Repeat with right-click. Wait, the recipe just popped onscreen, because the screen hasn't stopped moving yet. Quick click on it.

Okay, got the recipe. Click to close it. Get the description of the island in the background. Funny, I didn't click on the island. Oh well.

What's that? Click and hold and drag to move? Weird, apparently the devs never played the previous games, but I can handle it. So I can move left, and I can move left, and I can move left, and the cursor keeps jumping to the lower left corner. And LeChuck is getting quite annoying in the background. And I can move left. And why can't I move right?
    Back to the forums.
    Okay, so I "just" need to swap between full-screen and windowing mode a couple times. Yea! I can move right. The screen keeps moving, because, you know, it isn't necessary to have a fixed point of reference, especially with a funny control setup. Woo-who, I can get on the upper deck. Got casket. Look at it. Combine. Great use it on LeChuck. Um item, use on LeCheck. Yes, yes, I've hear Guybrush comment on LeChuck 3 times now. Use the item, on the other guy. Fine, I don't know this puzzle yet. I'll just walk around and, oh wait, the camera is zoomed too much on LeChuck that I can't see where to go.

Supposedly, 4 days ago I bought a Monkey Island game. Which like all games of that series are bug-free because Lucas requires it that way to maintain reputation.
    And if by some weird chance, the game wasn't perfect out of the gate, then of course fixes would be available in obvious locations, possible as much smaller patches instead of forcing a full redownload and reinstall.

So at this point, I expect an email Monday or Tuesday indicating that the real release is ready for me to enjoy and apologizing for not being more forward about handing me beta releases previously.
  • edited March 2010
    Wow, way to derail a thread. Next time please start your own topic. I suggest the title "pointless tirade about game development decisions, followed by endless bickering about minor gripes".

By the way, to the guy who had his text disappear. That happened to me too. It came back when I changed screens.
This discussion has been closed.