Tomi Mac freezes

edited February 2010 in Game Support
I already talked about this with the tech support, however i wanted to know if somebody else has this problem (and maybe could help). TOMI 1 freezed badly on my iMac 2.66Ghz (tried a force quit, that only stopped the music, so i had to use the power button) in the Doctor's lab, after you press the banana pedal, while the monkey is eating the banana. Restarted the game, after 2/3 times i was using the banana pedal, it's happened again in the same moment. Tech support suggested me to re-install the game due to a possible file (auto-?) corruption, and i managed to pass the point. Then i bought TOMI 2 and another bad freeze on Jerkbait Islands during the discussion between Guybrush, Elaine, the "Queen" and the pirate with pox.. Apart this, I have to say they are perfect, never a crash to desktop for example. iMac 2.66Ghz, 2GB ram, ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, MacOs 10.6.2. Thanks.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Wildy wrote: »
    Then i bought TOMI 2 and another bad freeze on Jerkbait Islands during the discussion between Guybrush, Elaine, the "Queen" and the pirate with pox..

Did you get past that by redownloading and reinstalling as well?
  • edited February 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Did you get past that by redownloading and reinstalling as well?
    You have right, but I'd prefer to not risk another freeze doing the tester myself sincerely eheh.. Further I should go throught the entire season, reinstalling the episodes every time they have this sort of corruption..? I'd like to understand if it's a corruption problem and in case where is from.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Corrupt files can have many different reasons. For example there was a case of a defect modem once.

First we should make sure the files you downloaded are really corrupt. Sadly I have no Mac OS X so i can only guide you by what I can find out about it online.

Can you post the Filenames and MD5 Hashes of the DMG files you downloaded here?

You can either use the command line or a graphical tool.
  • edited February 2010
    Can you post the Filenames and MD5 Hashes of the DMG files you downloaded here?

From what i know, .dmg files have an integrity check (i have a lot of other games in this form and no problems). However my md5 of TOMI1 (launchofthescreamingnarwhal.dmg) is f26c2cf887b3ca276e636a6866cfa462 and TOMI2 (siegeofspinnercay.dmg) is 2ad8dde720c42e8de703e07aa6b7f1c9 Thanks.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    From what i know, .dmg files have an integrity check (i have a lot of other games in this form and no problems). However my md5 of TOMI1 (launchofthescreamingnarwhal.dmg) is f26c2cf887b3ca276e636a6866cfa462 and TOMI2 (siegeofspinnercay.dmg) is 2ad8dde720c42e8de703e07aa6b7f1c9 Thanks.

That's great, I didn't know that about .dmg. I guess if you had turned the verification off you would know.
    Your MD5s look fine compared to mine.

cbc620ffd28bdc390084fd6d1f50e1c4 *lairoftheleviathan.dmg
    f26c2cf887b3ca276e636a6866cfa462 *launchofthescreamingnarwhal.dmg
    51b61f1dbb0b5b5a322d40824e8ce6ef *riseofthepirategod.dmg
    2ad8dde720c42e8de703e07aa6b7f1c9 *siegeofspinnercay.dmg
    679d2e48520481a6d63102bad69166d5 *trialofguybrush.dmg

But I'm not sure yet why it worked after reinstalling.
    Let's ignore the automatic verification for a moment.
    Did you reinstall from the same .dmgs or did you make a new download?
    Are the MD5s of the .dmgs which produced the corrupt installation?
  • edited February 2010
    But I'm not sure yet why it worked after reinstalling.
    Let's ignore the automatic verification for a moment.
    Did you reinstall from the same .dmgs or did you make a new download?
    Are the MD5s of the .dmgs which produced the corrupt installation?

Unfortunately I made a new download every time, so it's not possible a direct comparison sorry (but the verification has always been on, and as you say is clearly visible during the file opening).
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Unfortunately I made a new download every time, so it's not possible a direct comparison sorry (but the verification has always been on, and as you say is clearly visible during the file opening).

Okay, assuming the verification works properly it is like installing from the same file.
    Next thing i would do is checking your hard disk for errors. If you have bad sectors, it is possible that it installed into some of them the first time, and went well the second time.
    Another possibility is bad memory, which can also be tested.

Testing your memory:
    In order to test your memory download http://www.memtest.org/ and make a bootable cd or disk. Start your system from that medium to run the memory test.

It is probably enough to run it for one pass. Look at the lower table that looks like this after one pass is finished:
    Test Pass Errors
    ---- ---- ------
    Std     1      0

If there are errors they are shown in red as in this example:
    2b0bd_1258400911_thb.jpg
  • edited February 2010
    Ok, i made some tests and seems all right. Consider that i have also a good number of other games and i'm playing Still Life 2 in the meantime. Thanks.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    What tests did you do?
    I know it's not Mac typical yet, but do you have any Anti Malware software running?

Does Episode 2 still cause problems on Jerkbait Island or did you get past them trying it multiple times?
  • edited February 2010
    I do the disk check inside system's Disk Utility (that i think is sufficient considering i have no other problems) and Memtest. I have no antivirus or strange utilities/plugins running (i also checked the process list). I haven't played it anymore.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    I think at this point it's a good idea to test if it still crashes, and if that's always at the same spot.
  • edited February 2010
    I reinstalled it again and managed to pass the point (loaded the save 3 times and repeated the sequence, to be more sure). To me seems a sort of rare auto-corruption (just 1 time in a precise point in the whole first game, nothing of frequent nor complitely random), if plausible of course, however it's strange it's only me. I'll write here if it happens again. Thanks DjNDB
  • edited February 2010
    I've been having the same problems in the same places you've listed, so it's not only you. I'm going to try re-downloading and installing if that seemed to work for you.
  • edited February 2010
    Oh, really? Thanks. Yes, simply redownloading (if you need the .dmg file) and rewriting solved for me in those cases. Sometimes i have also cleaned the browser cache, as suggested by tech support. Update: all right until the end of Tomi 2. Now again in Tomi 3 on the ship with the tied pirates, moving the cursor on -just to not spoil too much- "Santino" (with the money item selected, to be precise). Reinstalled and freezed again talking with Moose.
This discussion has been closed.