If they were D&D Characters, which will be the alignment of Sam and Max?

edited February 2010 in Sam & Max
This is another of my paranoias due stress (This is other one) and, since I was talking with my Pen and Paper RPG loving friends this last weekend, I was wondering which alignment will be Sam & Max.

I think Max is either Chaotic Evil or Chaotic Neutral, but I have no idea for Sam (I was thinking on LAWFUL GOOD for him. Which probably demostrate the level of stress I have just right now). What do you think about it?

Comments

• edited February 2010
    I'd go with Chaotic Good for both of them. They have a natural dislike for villains, criminals and lowlife scum and love to fight them. They also care very little about the law, propriety or property damage and never bother to plan anything.
    You might put Max down as Chaotic Neutral since he can get carried away and is perhaps a bit too uncaring, but I certainly can't see him as actively Evil.
  • edited February 2010
    I'd say sam is Lawful neutral, and Max is maybe lawful evil
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2010
    Is it possible to be Chaotic Chaotic?
  • edited February 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Is it possible to be Chaotic Chaotic?

According to the wiki, there's the Strongly Chaotic Neutral, which is probably what you mean.
  • edited February 2010
    I agree with Harald B, Chaotic Good for both of them...
  • edited February 2010
    I've thought about this before, and I came to the same conclusion as Will. If anyone can be chaotic chaotic, they are.

Otherwise, Sam is Chaotic Good, and Max is Chaotic Neutral. Sam wants to do the right thing, and Max just does whatever he wants and doesn't care whether it's right or not. That's the impression I get, anyway.
  • edited February 2010
    The Alignment thingie is an axis. You can be legal pretty close to neutral, or legal very away to neutral. So, been "Chaotic Chaotic" is just been Chaotic Neutral very, veeeeeerrrryyyyyy awaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy from the middle. Like, breaking the borders or something like that.
  • edited February 2010
    I'd believe that they could break the laws of mathematics and go off on a completely new axis.

Sam is also a bit Lawful Stupid sometimes, with his "all crimes are equal" thing described in the series bible.
  • edited February 2010
    picture.php?albumid=170&pictureid=2031
  • edited February 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I'd believe that they could break the laws of mathematics and go off on a completely new axis.

That's a good theory too
    Sam is also a bit Lawful Stupid sometimes, with his "all crimes are equal" thing described in the series bible.

That's one of the reasons of what I was thinking of him as Lawful Good: You doesn't have to follow the society rules, you have to have your own set of rules and run with them. So, if his rule is "Do everything is need to get the job done and have fun" run for it (That also means I was overthinking. I like to overthink things ^^UUU)
  • edited February 2010
    Hmm... Maybe his intentions are Lawful Good, but he's s bad at carrying them out that his actions are Chaotic Good? He's definitely Something Good. He clearly has a conscience, unlike Max.
  • edited February 2010
    Hmm... Maybe his intentions are Lawful Good, but he's s bad at carrying them out that his actions are Chaotic Good? He's definitely Something Good. He clearly has a conscience, unlike Max.

Now I'm thinking about it, Chaotic Good leading to Neutral Good (Or just Neutral Good)? He tries to be lawful, but definitly doesn't work, and having Max here do not help either.

By the way, the lack of coincience is why I was thinking of Max as Chaotic Evil.
  • edited February 2010
    Sam is Neutral Good; Max is Chaotic Crazy.
  • edited February 2010
    Max I think is just Chaotic, which I guess would make him Chaotic Neutral. He's driven by chaos and doesn't care if it ends up helping people or harming them. Chaotic evil would be if he preferred chaos that hurts people to chaos that helps them. I don't believe he has such a preference.

I'd put Sam as Good because he really tries to help people and doesn't want to shoot innocents and so on. But not extremely Good, leaning close to Neutral, as he's not beyond fining people for nothing or destroying people's stuff.

I wouldn't say he's Lawful, unless your definition of lawful include people whose law is "cause chaos". It's say he's Chaotic, if slightly less so than Max, Neutral strongly leaning towards Chaotic at best.

Now the next question is, what race would they be?
  • edited February 2010
    Is it possible to be a Kender without kleptomaniac tendencies?
  • edited February 2010
    Max is definitely Chaotic Neutral, though his love of wanton destruction might push him a bit more toward evil. Then again, he's not really in it to get people so much as to entertain himself, so probably still Neutral. Sam could be argued somewhere from Chaotic Good to Neutral Good.

And their races are obviously Lagomorph and Canine.
  • edited February 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Is it possible to be a Kender without kleptomaniac tendencies?

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that Max has no kleptomaniac tendencies?
  • edited February 2010
    Max's evilness varies between his different incarnations. He's a lot more evil in the Telltale episodes than he is in the cartoon, where he's practically good. I think Sam's a bit more lawful in the cartoon as well. There's a part in the Glazed McGuffin Affair where he suggests that they don't harass Kent Standit about banning glazed McGuffins because it's not really a Freelance Police related matter.

Only a bit more, though.
  • edited February 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Let me get this straight. Are you saying that Max has no kleptomaniac tendencies?

At least not as much as the Kender we have in our Campain, who get his Bag of Holding Collapsed for the amount of stuff.

And I insist, do not think in anybody and do not have any concience qualify to me as Evil.
  • edited February 2010
    Both are obviously Chaotic Good, by D&D definitions. While how far along the Chaotic siide of the scale varies a good deal between interpretations and stories, they are always within that section of the graph. Sam is more Good and Lawful than Max, but still not lawful or good enough to change alignment.

It might be fun to say that Max is pure Chaos, and he may even be somewhat accurate. Still, whether it's due to Sam's influence or an actual conscience, he finds himself generally working toward Good. Also, we have to remember that he's both the president and the leader of the sea-monkeys, so he IS the law, in some respects, on top of just enforcing it.

From the wiki on Chaotic Good:

"Chaotic Good is known as the "Beatific," "Rebel," or "Cynic" alignment. A Chaotic Good character favors change for a greater good, disdains bureaucratic organizations that get in the way of social improvement, and places a high value on personal freedom, not only for oneself, but for others as well. They always intend to do the right thing, but their methods are generally disorganised and often out of alignment with the rest of society. They have no use for those who would try to push them around and tell them what to do.

Freedom, like the freedom afforded by being a freelance group, and an overall attempt to do good, like some form of police force. Hm....
Sign in to comment in this discussion.