SBCG4AP ep. 5 problem

edited March 2010 in Game Support
OK. i downloaded and installed my 8-bit is enough and everything went fine. I then proceeded to click on the icon on my desktop, and launched the game. a few seconds later, an error message pops up saying "DLL has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." does anyone know A) what that means, or B) how to fix it?

here's the error signature if it helps at all:
AppName: homestar105.exe AppVer: 2008.12.12.16293 ModName: homestar105.exe
ModVer: 2008.12.12.16293 Offset: 001fa0b8

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Have you been playing the other HSR episodes? Is this the only one giving you problems?
  • edited March 2010
    Yes, I have all the other SBCG4AP episodes for PC, and this is the only one with the problem.
    edited March 2010
    Ok, well if all of the other ones are currently working then it's probably a problem with corrupted data. I'd suggest clearing out your temporary internet cache, uninstalling the game, and then redownloading the whole thing from scratch. It's the most likely issue in that circumstance.
  • edited March 2010
    er, remind me again what an internet cache is... because depending on what that means i might've already tried that.
    edited March 2010
    Go into your internet browser and go to Options or Preferences. Usually there is a button that says "Delete Temporary Internet Files" or "Internet Cache" or something along those lines. Do that, and then redownload the game.
  • edited March 2010
    Will this delete my other episodes?
  • edited March 2010
    No. It will only delete your "setup" of the fifth episode completely from your computer. Has absolutely nothing to do with the other episodes.
  • edited March 2010
    BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH :mad: it still isn't working! :confused: any other ideas?
    edited March 2010
    How far back was your previous save?
  • edited March 2010
    I never started the game. (edit) well, I never GOT to start the game.
    edited March 2010
    OH! Sorry, my fault. I was thinking this was the OTHER homestar 105 thread. Weird that there are two of them at once.

So if a fresh download didn't fix it, you could probably try updating your drivers and DirectX. Do you know how to do that?
  • edited March 2010
    no.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    If you post a dxdiag log we can look them up for you.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited March 2010
    OK here you go
  • edited March 2010
    tehMEATpie wrote: »
    OK here you go

Well, that Intel 82855 graphics controller only supports DirectX 8, and I'm pretty sure the game needs a DirectX 9 capable graphics card. Also, that Pentium M in your notebook is probably also underpowered to run the game...

I'm afraid your best bet would be to either get a new computer or ask support for a refund.

np: Pluramon ft. Julee Cruise - Difference Machine (Dreams Top Rock)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    tehMEATpie wrote: »
    OK here you go
    Card name: Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit) (60Hz)
    Driver Date/Size: 7/30/2004 13:19:52, 37951 bytes

Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio
    Date and Size: 6/23/2004 13:42:46, 266880 bytes

Whoa, that's some old drivers.

Try setting the display color depth to 32 bit.

If that doesn't fix it or you feel like updating stuff you can also try to install the latest Intel graphics driver and Audio Driver. If the original Intel driver fails to install you can install the one from the same Driver site instead. It's at least a bit fresher than the one you have now.
  • edited March 2010
    YESSS!!! SCORE!!! the 32-bit switch did the trick! looks like I forgot to switch it back after playing ZSNES. Thanks so much guys!
This discussion has been closed.