Sam & Max 106: Bright Side of the Moon

edited March 2010 in Sam & Max
Have they added a hint system in this with no precaution? (The other season 1 episodes didn't have). I think I just spoiled myself. Since I talk to every character as you should do, I feel Max gives too much hints instead of a "normal" dialog!

Comments

• edited March 2010
    As part of experimenting with hint delivery they put more (and more explicit) hints into dialog with Max in 106. Thankfully the hint system in Season Two (and their other games from that point on) is much better.
  • edited March 2010
    Telltale's dynamic hint system was first implemented with Sam & Max Season 2, and to play Season 1 is to see the evolution of their attempts to come up with the ideal solution for a hint system, which is actually pretty interesting to observe. It's been discussed in a couple of past threads (EDIT: Harald beat me to it), but I think the idea was that the early Season 1 episodes were designed so that the hints would be indirectly given by being concealed in the banter with Max. Some players who didn't necessarily want hints but wanted to hear all the dialog were annoyed by this, which led to Telltale making the explicit hint option in the Max dialog trees in Bright Side of the Moon, which definitely solved the problem, but I guess was deemed too...unorganic?

Since then, their games have employed some permutation of the "hint setting" where NPCs or the playable character will spout off a line that nudges you in the right direction, the frequency of which is up to you. This allows people who want no hints to simply shut off the feature entirely, and it lets people who don't want them adjust the level to their liking and without taking them completely out of the game.
  • edited March 2010
    yes I want to turn it off completely. I guess I will avoid Max in this game like he doesn't exist.
  • edited March 2010
    Zodler wrote: »
    yes I want to turn it off completely. I guess I will avoid Max in this game like he doesn't exist.

Just don't click "I need help on something". He has another little stuff there too.
  • edited March 2010
    I liked being able to ask max. You could choose what that get a hint on.
    But it's true that it was more tempting to ask, while when the hints are off, they're off.
  • edited March 2010
    I clicked on those several times and got no help at all. It seemed to be just the normal banter.
  • edited March 2010
    SPOILER: ..........It ruined how to make the unicorn red for me. He directly suggests heating it. I was more thinking of actually achieving and getting a red level not faking it! :)
  • edited March 2010
    Zodler wrote: »
    SPOILER: ..........It ruined how to make the unicorn red for me. He directly suggests heating it. I was more thinking of actually achieving and getting a red level not faking it! :)

Not worry, Max eventually do it. (And when you doesn't have to cheat in Sam and Max? oh wait... no, no wait)
  • edited March 2010
    I didn't like the way the hint system works in 106. Max's dialogue doesn't change much other wise like it does in the other episode, and since the first time I played it I wanted to figure it out for myself, it felt like there was less content. The way it was done in Season 2 was better, I think. Even though it got tedious clicking on things ten billion times until Max finally says something that I've already figured out.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.