ToMI: Mac Pro freezes

edited March 2010 in Game Support
I just downloaded the 5 tales onto a Mac Pro 2 Ghz running OS 10.6.2. First tale, Narwhal freezes shortly after startup consistently. Can't get much past reading the recipe on the mast.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I have precisely the same problem--freezing in the same spot. I am running Mac 10.5.8. Wondering what I paid $35 for...
  • edited March 2010
    reboot?
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited March 2010
    This thread would be a better fit in the Game Support forum where several similar problems are currently being discussed and worked on by Telltale.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Moved to Game Support.
  • edited March 2010
    same here, two 2,66GHz Dual Core Xeons, 6GB Ram, Radeon X1900 video card, Snow Leopard, latest update...
    It works when set to the lowest resolution and graphics detail, that way it looks charmingly like Monkey Island 1...
    Never thought my machine was too weak for a game like that, even with 3d graphics...
  • edited March 2010
    I had the same issue with my MacBook Pro (2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM).

I saw on another thread here (can't find it now) that the application complains about multiple Qt library installations, if you start the game from a Terminal. I found that reinstalling version 4.5.3 libraries from http://get.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/qt-mac-opensource-4.5.3.dmg seems to solve the freezing. The game still complains about multiple copies of the libraries, but at least they're all the same version this way.
  • edited March 2010
    i've got the same issue, albeit, the Narwhale launcher freezes when I quit the game proper.

MBP 2.5GHz Dual Core 4GBs RAM Geforce 8600m GT.
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Looks like we've found and fixed the launch bug on the Mac. Sorry for the trouble. You just need to re-download the game to get the updated version.

Kevin
  • edited March 2010
    I downloaded the new version (and I confirmed that it is in fact a new version) of Chapter 1.
    No luck. The game still freezes after approximately 5 minutes of gameplay (never in the same spot twice though)
    The animation just stops. Music keeps on playing. I can't quit, I can't switch to windowed mode, I can't do anything.
    I have to reset my Mac Pro by pressing the power button for 10 seconds.

Mac Pro 2006, 2x2,66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1900, Mac OS 10.6.2 German.

Mike
  • edited March 2010
    I have the same problem on an iMac Core 2 Duo - 3Go - 10.6.2.
    I played the first 4 episodes in windowed mode and got the freeze->reboot only one time that way.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    This sounds like it is a different issue. Just to clarify, is a tower or a macbook? It sounds sorta like overheating, but that doesn't make much sense if it's a Pro.
  • edited March 2010
    Will wrote: »
    This sounds like it is a different issue. Just to clarify, is a tower or a macbook? It sounds sorta like overheating, but that doesn't make much sense if it's a Pro.

Tower.
    Actually overheating may be the cause. (Had this issue also with UT 2004.)

In the last hour(s) I played around a lot with the graphic settings.
    1920x1200 with quality 9 in full screen freezes the game after 5 minutes (especially in the first scene).
    1920x1200 with quality 5 in full screen is fine (so far). I can hear the graphic card's fan very loud and I also have to use smcFanControl to speed up the Mac Pro's internal fans to cool the graphic card down. But then it works fine.

Mike

EDIT: smcFanControl can be found here: http://www.eidac.de/?p=134
  • edited March 2010
    tonmischa wrote: »
    Tower.
    Actually overheating may be the cause. (Had this issue also with UT 2004.)
    Have you cleaned out your graphics card's fan lately? The more dust builds up in there the harder a time it has cooling the graphics chip and the faster it has to run...

np: Seabear - Arms (While The Fire Dies EP)
This discussion has been closed.