ToMI: Problem jumping from graphic quality 3-4

When I raise the graphic quality from 3 to 4 the framerate slows to a crawl. I can run the game at 60 fps at 1680x1050 res at level 3 or below, but anything more and it doesn't run smooth at 800x600. Do I need a better graphics card? I have 2ghz processor, 2 gigs ram, and an nvidia geforce 8600 gt. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Looks like you need a new graphics card. Could you tell us your monitor size, it might help in helping you get the right one. Oh and btw, you may want to get this moved to the support forums.
  • edited March 2010
    Geforce 8600 gt is a pretty decent graphics card, and should have no problems running TMI. Have you tried updating your drivers?
  • edited March 2010
    I ran the game on a 8600GT and I was running at a full Visual Setting 9 at 1280x1024@60Hz sounds like a driver issue to me!
  • edited March 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    I ran the game on a 8600GT and I was running at a full Visual Setting 9 at 1280x1024@60Hz sounds like a driver issue to me!

Depens on his monitor, tho. The larger the monitor, the more powerful graphics card he will need to run it.
  • edited March 2010
    Depens on his monitor, tho. The larger the monitor, the more powerful graphics card he will need to run it.

No, that is wrong. What does matter is the resolution, ie. the number of pixels, not the size of them.
  • edited March 2010

I assume you mean the resolution? He states in the post anything higher than setting 4 and even 800x600 becomes jerky! To me, considering I can run the game fine without problems at a higher resolution it sounds like his Drivers are wrong.
  • edited March 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    I assume you mean the resolution? He states in the post anything higher than setting 4 and even 800x600 becomes jerky! To me, considering I can run the game fine without problems at a higher resolution it sounds like his Drivers are wrong.

Well, even an HD 4650 has problems.
  • edited March 2010
    It could be the processor too, since it has to do some of the work.
    Could you give more information about the CPU?
  • edited March 2010
    My PC is just minourly better...
    1.6Ghz (AMD though, so AMD Athlon 3200+, OP, do you have AMD or intel)
    2 Ghz RAM (XP though, Vista would do worse with the same amount)
    GeForce 9600GT

And I can run 1440x900 at graphics level 9 just fine. So, yeah, check your drivers, or see in the nvidia control center if you somehow force 16xAA and AF or something.
    EDIT: NVm, I just noticed I do so myself as well, and no problems with ToMI due to that...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Moved to Game Support.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    It sounds a lot like what's going on in this thread.
  • edited March 2010
    Wow! Thanks for the advice, I updated my drivers but unfortunately it still runs the same. I believe someone asked what my cpu is, it's an intel core 2 duo processor rated at 2 ghz total. Ultimately, I've had some problems playing games on this laptop in the past, so I'll "settle" playing on the 3rd quality level. Thanks again for the assistance and my apologies for posting on the wrong board.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    A Laptop, i see. Maybe the system gets hot and the CPU gets throttled. Can you increase the Airflow and make sure there's no dust and the are slits are not covered?

You can log the temperatures and speeds while running the game until it slows down. A dxdiag log might be helpful too.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.

Logging your CPU and GPU Temperatures

CPU: Download Core Temp. Start it and activate logging in the menu under "Tools/Logging on".

The log file created is called similar to "CT-Log [TIME][DATE].csv".

GPU: Download GPU-Z.
    Start it, select the "sensors" tab, and activate "Log to File" at the bottom of the window.

The log file created is called "gpu-temperature.xml".

Zip the files and attach them to a reply in this Thread.
This discussion has been closed.