Giant Bomb: QLEX of The Devil's Playhouse

edited March 2010 in Sam & Max
Anyone get a chance to check this out yet? I think the game is looking great. 30 minute walkthrough of the beginning of the first episode.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-sam-max-the-devils-playhouse/17-2141/

Comments

• edited March 2010
    whut
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, it's been posted already, but I do appreciate the topic, as now I can find it whenever I want.
  • edited March 2010
    I still can't play it. Only appears as a png with an arrow I can click but that doesn't do anything whatsoever.
  • edited March 2010
    I don't want to watch this. I am really trying to go no spoilers except for the trailer and anything TTG posts itself. I already had someone spoil the opening scenes, and it has numbed down my excitement a bit (because it's less surprise).
  • edited March 2010
    I'm totally with you about wanting to avoid spoilers, but I've got to say, you should probably avoid the forums until April then. There are going to be spoilers and not everyone is going to think to tag them as such.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah guys, be aware that that video contains the first 30 minutes or so of the game (with us talking over it). It doesn't spoil any puzzles after the demo/tutorial, but it does show you a lot more than any other demo will.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I still can't play it. Only appears as a png with an arrow I can click but that doesn't do anything whatsoever.

Giantbomb does that if you use Adblock.

I watched about 10 minutes. It was enough to get a first impression of the new Interface and not spoil too much. I think it was just one puzzle up to that point.
  • edited March 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Giantbomb does that if you use Adblock.

Thanks. I turned Adblock momentarily.

Watched for about 7 minutes. Too spoilery for me. Which is too bad because I wanted to hear the commentary, but you know, in more general terms.
    Anyways, I can wait for the rest. I'll watch the video after I've finished the first episode. If I can play it that it.
  • edited March 2010
    Wait... the demo is 30 minutes long? AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THIS MEANS THE EPISODES ARE PROBABLY LONGER? I mean, TOMI's demo was only 10 minutes or so.
  • edited March 2010
    Wait... the demo is 30 minutes long? AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO SEES THIS MEANS THE EPISODES ARE PROBABLY LONGER? I mean, TOMI's demo was only 10 minutes or so.

They goof around a good amount.

PS: Game looks amazing. Season Two and Tales of Monkey are both great (I'd put them in my top ten games), but Season Three looks like it could actually challenge the real classics. I just hope we don't re-visit the same x > 1 of locations every single time.
  • edited March 2010
    Kroms wrote: »
    They goof around a good amount.

PS: Game looks amazing. Season Two and Tales of Monkey are both great (I'd put them in my top ten games), but Season Three looks like it could actually challenge the real classics. I just hope we don't re-visit the same x > 1 of locations every single time.

Wait, I'm consfused. See? I can't even spell consfused anymore.
    Shit
    , I did it again... anyway, what does x > 1 mean exactly, in your terms. I know, in mathematics, it means x is greater than or equal to 1 (assuming you meant that, if not its just greater than 1).
  • edited March 2010
    what does x > 1 mean exactly, in your terms. I know, in mathematics, it means x is greater than or equal to 1 (assuming you meant that, if not its just greater than 1).

The superior or equal as a second bar under the ">". I don't know how you'd write that on a computer... Or the "about equal", which is an "=" sign except the upper bar is a tilde.
    Does these have symbols that can be used on a computer? Like, ASCII or something?
  • edited March 2010
    X > 1 means that X is greater than 1. X >= 1 means that X is greater than or equal to 1, at least in programming.
  • edited March 2010
    I guess shwoo answered my question :P
  • edited March 2010
    You can get those symbols on a computer (≤≥≠≈), but <=, >=, and != are quicker to write. I'm not sure about ≈. I don't think it's needed in programming.
  • edited March 2010
    <= looks like an arrow to me. Although I guess it wouldn't be confusing in programming.
    Thanks. I actually write 3 out of 4 differently from the symbols you typed. "greater or equal" and "lower or equal", the lower bar I write parallel to the > or < sign. And "about equal" I only write the higher one as a tilde, the lower one I write straight.
    That's the way I learned to write them. It's close enough that it doesn't matter much, I guess, everyone would know what I mean even if they're not the standard way to write it.
  • edited March 2010
    <= looks like an arrow to me. Although I guess it wouldn't be confusing in programming.

The actual ones are special characters, that it. Not all the computers can handle it, or at least at the time the first languajes were created. And if you wanna write an arrow, try this ->
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I'm not sure about ≈. I don't think it's needed in programming.
    Its semantic is needed, and it could be convenient to have ≈ when comparing floating point values. Instead you calculate |a-b|<t with t being a threshold, and the absolute value being a function call.
    A threshold is mandatory for it to make sense depending on the context. A ternary operator of that kind could look like a~=b:t replacing ≈ with the common ~= because it is not easily accessible on a keyboard and it is not ASCII.
  • edited March 2010
    Its semantic is needed, and it could be convenient to have ≈ when comparing floating point values. Instead you calculate |a-b|<t with t being a threshold, and the absolute value being a function call.
    A threshold is mandatory for it to make sense depending on the context. A ternary operator of that kind could look like a~=b:t replacing ≈ with the common ~= because it is not easily accessible on a keyboard and it is not ASCII.

:eek::confused::(
  • edited March 2010

^ What she said.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh, of course. I forgot about floating points. I still have a lot to learn about programming.
    ^ What she said.
    You do need to test if to see if numbers are about equal, and ≈ would be especially useful when comparing numbers with decimals, which might not be exactly the same but might not be different enough to matter.

You can do something similar by checking how big the difference is between the two numbers you're comparing; if it's small enough, then they're about equal. You have to define how much is "small enough" yourself, though.

You could use ~= for this, since ≈ isn't a standard character and isn't fast to us on a keyboard.

Or I misunderstood DjNDB completely, but I don't think I did.
  • edited March 2010

There really aren't many good reasons to test for equality with floats, I generally design my code so I am always testing discrete ranges i.e. a > x >= b. When dealing with floating point types you expect values to never be exactly the same.
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks, Shwoo. There are still things I don't get, but they're all linked to programming so it would take years for me to understand them anyways.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    serializer wrote: »
    There really aren't many good reasons to test for equality with floats, I generally design my code so I am always testing discrete ranges i.e. a > x >= b. When dealing with floating point types you expect values to never be exactly the same.

I don't say it is needed frequently by developers either. It really depends on the kind of applications you develop. I just wanted to point out that it happens that you semantically need exactly that kind of operator.
    I think it's more likely to run into that scenario when working with scientific data, in computer graphics or developing numeric algorithms in general.
    An example is, if you calculate geometry in floating point and want to know if a point lies on a line. At some point you need to define what "on" means. That's basically rasterization.
    Actually the Bresenham Algorithm, a classical rasterization algorithm in computer graphics, uses exactly that idiom.
  • edited March 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    X > 1 means that X is greater than 1. X >= 1 means that X is greater than or equal to 1, at least in programming.

Not what I meant, I'm afraid. I meant "What are you talking about in terms of locations in Sam & Max?" not "I never finished 8th grade maths. Please tell me why my colon on my keyboard is being taken over by a triangle.".

Anyway, in this season I wouldn't care about revisiting the same locations AS LONG as they have been done up like the street has.
  • edited March 2010
    I didn't think that was what you meant. I was just talking about the difference between X > 1 and X >= 1.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    ... What happened here?
  • edited March 2010
    Will wrote: »
    ... What happened here?

You don't wanna know
  • edited March 2010
    Will wrote: »
    ... What happened here?

Some sort of messed up math geek takeover, I think.
  • edited March 2010
    Spadge wrote: »
    Some sort of messed up math geek takeover, I think.

In fact I know what happened here, but seriously, I can't explain it in English. And, if I try, you will finished more confused.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.