OS X ToMI Ch.1 slowdowns in some scenes

edited June 2010 in Game Support
Hey,

I've been playing chapter 1 of ToMI on my 2.2 C2D MacBook Pro (8600M GT) at full quality at 1440x900. This worked fine in the beginning scene- no framerate issues at all. However, as soon as I got to Flotsam, the framerate slows to a crawl (in some cases about 1fps). This only seems to happen on the beach areas- no other areas of the island (jungle etc.) exhibit this slowdown. Lowering screen resolution and quality helps a bit, but not much. I would assume that the specs of this laptop are more than enough to run the game at this resolution, so I suspect something else is to blame.

Any idea why this would be happening?

Cheers.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Have you trying lowering the quality? That helps me to get the game "playable" in my laptop (Which doesn't have exactly all the requeriments), so, probably that will help you.
  • edited March 2010
    As I said in the post, yes I have, but it doesn't make much of a difference. It doesn't make sense why it would go from perfectly smooth to 1fps. The difference in scene complexity between the beginning scene in the boats and the flotsam beach scene can't be *that* great?

I don't think it is a temp throttling issue either, since I can load up my flotsam beach save from startup and I still get the issue :/
  • edited March 2010
    Bit of an update on the issue... If I switch the resolution to a lower one, then back to 1440x900, the framerate goes back to normal- but as soon as I walk to the left of the courthouse, it drops back down again.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    That's certainly strange... Have you checked to see if there are any mac updates? Could be something driver related. I can't think of anything in that scene that's particularly intensive.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, I'm running a fully updated 10.5.8
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    This isn't really something I've seen a problem with on macs before, but how much RAM do you have? Also, is your computer well ventilated? It could be starting to heat up due to slightly higher density in that environment, so your computer is throttling the speed to keep temperatures down.
  • edited March 2010
    2GB Ram, and it is well ventilated. The fact that it runs fine if I switch resolution and switch back makes me think that speed throttling is not the issue, though I'll see if I can do a temp log to keep track of the GPU/CPU temps while playing.
  • edited April 2010
    Same problems for me.
    Nvidia 8600 128MB VRam, 4GB Ram, 2,2GHz, OS X 10.6.3
  • edited April 2010
    Same problems for me.
    Running on a MacBook Pro 3,1 2.2GHz, 4GB Ram, 128MB VRam Nvidia 8600

I uploaded a video to youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1NLZhEezak
  • edited June 2010
    Hi,

I recently upgraded to 10.6.3 and I'm still having these issues.

I noticed that the same issue in Sam & Max Season 3 was eventually sorted by updates in this thread http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16149 and I was wondering if it is the same issue, are updates for TOMI are planned?
This discussion has been closed.