What kind of dog is Sam?

edited March 2010 in Sam & Max
Is he a mutt? has it been mentioned before? Would he be angry at being called a mutt?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    He claimed to be an Irish Wolfhound in Hit The Road. But his fur is too short for that. Irish Wolfhounds have long fur.

I'd call him a mutt because he has so much human in him. It would probably annoy him, though.
  • edited March 2010
    LOL everyone with a little Irish blood in them claims to be Irish..... Me for example.

That leads me to believe he is a mutt.... but being thought to be purebred seems like something that would be important to him.
  • edited March 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    LOL everyone with a little Irish blood in them claims to be Irish..... Me for example.

When you guys aren't around... we say terrible things about you. Sorry pal :p
  • edited March 2010
    its ok... and no that isn't tears in my eyes... I got something in them.
  • edited March 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    He claimed to be an Irish Wolfhound in Hit The Road. But his fur is too short for that. Irish Wolfhounds have long fur.

Well, he's a cartoon dog in a human almost realistic (but not quite) world. So, probably cartoon antropomorphic irish wolfhounds looks like him (Or that I want to believe)
  • edited March 2010
    You know how terrifying a 6 foot talking dog would be in real life?
  • edited March 2010
    Is he a mutt? has it been mentioned before? Would he be angry at being called a mutt?
    He'd be angry if you call him McGruff.
  • edited March 2010

He wears a suit for something
  • edited March 2010
    I thought he was a Bloodhound the first time I saw him, and it would make sense since they are the most well-known scent hounds and therefore make good (investigative) police dogs. Although maybe McGruff was a Bloodhound first, so they couldn't do it twice.
  • edited March 2010
    He does indeed seem Houndish of some sort
  • edited March 2010
    His face remember me a Dashhound. Which I know is pretty much impossible due his size :S
  • edited March 2010
    He is not droopy in the face to be a pure bloodhound... so maybe a Beagle and Bloodhound mix like this young pup?

BTW this is possibly one of the DORKIEST things I have ever found myself debating.... I am glad I already found and married a queen of a woman or I would be seriously worried about my future

AWWWWW
    compareb.jpg
  • edited March 2010
    The ear shape is more like a black-and-tan coonhound...

BTCoonhnd.jpg

... but the color is similar to a redbone coonhound.

hound%20dog.jpg
  • edited March 2010
    I think the Irish Wolfhound association is mostly due to it being a breed which can reach seven feet in height if standing on its hind legs:

irishwolfhoundfrankbren.jpg

As for the differences in fur and coloration, Sam has the hand-wavey traits of being a cartoon character in a relatively non-cartoony world and, um, sapient.

But for fun, I'd say he has some Redbone Coonhound and Doberman Pinscher in him too.
  • edited March 2010
    He ain't nothing but a hound dog, cryin' all the time.

He's friends with a rabbit but he ain't no friend of mine
  • edited March 2010
    I think the Irish Wolfhound association is mostly due to it being a breed which can reach seven feet in height if standing on its hind legs:

If it's about size... Then what kind of rabbit could Max be? O.O He's at least 4 feet tall.
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    If it's about size... Then what kind of rabbit could Max be? O.O He's at least 4 feet tall.

Flemish Giant

230371_1.jpg
  • edited March 2010

And also his self-identification as Canis shamus.
  • edited March 2010
    Randulf wrote: »
    Flemish Giant

230371_1.jpg

Do you have one in white? Albino maybe?
  • edited March 2010
    And also his self-identification as Canis shamus.
    Canine shamus means dog detective. It's not a species name. And I think the closest Sam ever came to calling himself a canine shamus was when he claimed his rap name was "Shamus Doggy Dog".
  • edited March 2010

230371_1.jpg

Please tell me that thing is photo-shopped.
  • edited March 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Please tell me that thing is photo-shopped.

Then I won't say a word.

Sorry, man. But I cannot tell a lie. (Except when I do. Which isn't now. Yes.)
  • edited March 2010
    Then I won't say a word.

Sorry, man. But I cannot tell a lie. (Except when I do. Which isn't now. Yes.)
    Okay, that's kind of bizzare....
  • edited March 2010
    The universe is a bizarre place. At least Flemish Giants reside closer to the "Hey, that's kinda cool!" end of the bizarro spectrum than not. (So long as Night of the Lepus remains both laughably terrible and insurmountably improbable, that is. ;) )
  • edited March 2010

*Shudder*

He has a point.
  • edited March 2010
    Albino Flemish Giant!

That's, er... The sloth one. And gluttony one too, apparently. We're just missing the wanton violence, and considering the size, I'm glad we are.
  • edited March 2010
    That rabbit isn't a flemmish giant, though I know for certain that it's not photoshopped. It was sent to north korea as breeding stock so they could actually eat, but as it turns out, being the smart folks ant they are, they just went ahead and ate the thing before the actual breeding.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh, what is it then? I mean it definitely looks huge.
  • edited March 2010
    I don't really remember what was the name, other than the fact that it was bred by a german dude.
  • edited March 2010
    Sam isn't a rabbit. He's an undefined lagomorph... so like... he could be a pika:
    pika5.jpg

Though that's highly unlikely.
  • edited March 2010
    Max has referred to himself as a rabbit before.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh right, sorry.... odd.
  • edited March 2010
    No need to apologize. : D
  • edited March 2010
    Sam isn't a rabbit.
    That is true.
  • edited March 2010
    The universe is a bizarre place. At least Flemish Giants reside closer to the "Hey, that's kinda cool!" end of the bizarro spectrum than not. (So long as Night of the Lepus remains both laughably terrible and insurmountably improbable, that is. ;) )

Ah, Night of the Lepus. Everyone should at least see the clips on Youtube. The film was made with such low budget that they can't afford animatronics, and they create the horde of 20-feet man-eating rabbits by filming real bunnies incredibly close-up. The effect is soooooooo cute!
  • edited March 2010
    Sam is the kind of dog that children drew when they are bored, which is then vandalized by their older brothers.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.