Slow, Unresponsive Cursor in ToMI

edited April 2010 in Game Support
I just installed the download version of TMI 1 on my year-old Dell desktop (Intel G33/G31 on-board graphics). I immediately noticed that (a) the program took forever to load, and (b) the cursor moved very slowly & usually overshot the target location. (logitech wireless mouse).
I appreciate any help anyone might offer

Comments

• edited March 2010
    You have an onboard GPU. Those are not really meant for games.

What you can do:
    ° Upgrade your GPU drivers

° Reinstall/upgrade dirctX 9

° In the main menue go to settings klick the left red arrow nexte to "game settings" and get to the graphics settings.
    Reduce the graphics quality until your cursor moves fast enough. You might have to go down to 3 or even 1 (it should be 6 by default).
  • edited March 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    What you can do:
    ° Upgrade your GPU drivers

° Reinstall/upgrade dirctX 9

° In the main menue go to settings klick the left red arrow nexte to "game settings" and get to the graphics settings.
    Reduce the graphics quality until your cursor moves fast enough. You might have to go down to 3 or even 1 (it should be 6 by default).
    ° Accept that onboard graphics is for business applications only and go out and buy a real graphics card

np: Autechre - O=0 (Oversteps)
  • edited March 2010
    JimVC wrote: »
    I just installed the download version of TMI 1 on my year-old Dell desktop (Intel G33/G31 on-board graphics). I immediately noticed that (a) the program took forever to load, and (b) the cursor moved very slowly & usually overshot the target location. (logitech wireless mouse).
    I appreciate any help anyone might offer

What are the specs of your computer for starters? I have a similar problem with my 2 and a half years old Laptop but I know from the beggining it has those problems.

For the cursor, problably go down the quality a couple of levels will work.

For the load time, no idea, but my old computer lack enough processor power.
  • edited April 2010
    Hello JimVC,

you probably will have to set the graphics qualitiy to 1. I have a desktop pc with an integrated intel945 chipset. The game will then be playable, just the time for switching between scenes semms a bit long, but still acceptable. The long loading time at startup is probably due to ToMI precalculating some graphical stuff. It's certainly not due to slow cpus. I'd really like to see Telltale investing some time into a more efficient implementation, especially since a lot of Macs have intel chipsets inside, but that will probably never happen. All this Pixel/Vertex Shader 3.0 stuff is fancy, but not really necessary for playing, it's pushed by hardware manufacturers.
  • edited April 2010
    lahmbi5678 wrote: »
    All this Pixel/Vertex Shader 3.0 stuff is fancy, but not really necessary for playing, it's pushed by hardware manufacturers.

and by moaning gamers that want to see better graphics. I am not one of them especially since my PC is very old.

The Shader 3.0 Stuff (if there is any in ToMI) is most likely not present in Quality settings 3 and below since I can play those fluently.

I would still like to see something that was there in S&M Season 2 and Strong Bad: Graphics settings were saved in the registry and used for every episode of the series. Having to reduce the Quality setting in every episode again was very annoying in ToMI and W&G.
  • edited April 2010
    While I think I had to re-do it each W&G episode, that does happen with ToMI.
This discussion has been closed.