titles of the new S&M episodes

bai_ganyobai_ganyo Banned
edited March 2010 in Sam & Max
The titles of the season 2 episodes were allready hinting at movie titles. While they stretched from comedies What's New Pussycat, dramaesque movies Mo' Better Blues to horror movies Night of the Living Dead, the titles of season 3 seem to be aimed at movie titles as well. In the site for "The Devil's Playhouse" we see a cinema with posters. This time though it seems they are exclusively pulp movies. The trailer also seems pretty pulp.I know They Stole Hitler's Brain and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
Does anybody know some of the other movies, the titles aim at?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    bai_ganyo wrote: »
    The titles of the season 2 episodes were allready hinting at movie titles. While they stretched from comedies What's New Pussycat, dramaesque movies Mo' Better Blues to horror movies Night of the Living Dead, the titles of season 3 seem to be aimed at movie titles as well. In the site for "The Devil's Playhouse" we see a cinema with posters. This time though it seems they are exclusively pulp movies. The trailer also seems pretty pulp.I know They Stole Hitler's Brain and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
    Does anybody know some of the other movies, the titles aim at?

Wow, is there a season two now? I didn't notice it with all the talk about season 3. :D:rolleyes::D
    Also, i don't think that it was named after "What's New, Pussycats"...
  • edited March 2010
    I got the impression "The City That Dares Not Sleep" was just a play on "The City That Never Sleeps" - something often said to describe New York. But apparently there was a movie called "City That Never Sleeps", so that could be right.

I don't know if there's a movie called "The Tomb Of Tutankhamun", but that's what I first thought of when I saw episode 2's name. Or maybe there's a more obvious one for all I know!

As for "The Penal Zone", I guessed at "The Twilight Zone" (though that was a TV series rather than movie), but again I could be wrong.
  • edited March 2010
    Just to save you guys some time in the speculatin' mode: the season 2 episodes were all deliberately named after movie titles. (Including What's New, Beelzebub?).

The season 3 ep titles aren't. Except when they are. There's no rule, is what I'm saying.
  • edited March 2010
    I was watching Plan 9 from outerspace yesterday on streaming netflix... but I fell asleep
  • edited March 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I was watching Plan 9 from outerspace yesterday on streaming netflix... but I fell asleep

This movie rules !
  • edited March 2010
    Chuck wrote: »
    Just to save you guys some time in the speculatin' mode: the season 2 episodes were all deliberately named after movie titles. (Including What's New, Beelzebub?).

The season 3 ep titles aren't. Except when they are. There's no rule, is what I'm saying.

Thanks Chuck!

Right, what other pointless but totally necessary things can we speculate upon?
  • edited March 2010
    Chuck wrote: »

I didn't realise ANY of them came from a movie title.
    In my defense, I don't know that many movie titles in English.
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I didn't realise ANY of them came from a movie title.
    In my defense, I don't know that many movie titles in English.

+ 1

Pop Culture is ussually so different in some countries that, whathever is a reference or not, it's difficult to get if we are from... well, another country.
  • edited March 2010
    For our non-USAers out there:

201: Ice Station Santa -> Ice Station Zebra
    202: Moai Better Blues -> Mo' Better Blues
    203: Night of the Raving Dead -> Night of the Living Dead
    204: Chariots of the Dogs -> Chariots of the Gods (also known as Erinnerungen an die Zukunft)
    205: What's New, Beelzebub? -> What's New Pussycat?
  • edited March 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    + 1

Pop Culture is ussually so different in some countries that, whathever is a reference or not, it's difficult to get if we are from... well, another country.

Yeah no kidding I love watching British television but sometimes its obvious they are making a pop culture reference I do not understand.
  • edited March 2010
    I only got Night of the Living Dead and Chariots of the Gods. Are the other three really well known in America or something?
  • edited March 2010
    I only knew What's New Pussycat and Night of the Living Dead, but in French. The first one is a common enough phrase that I didn't make a connection with the movie title, and the second I would have translated into "The night of the undead" so it didn't tilt in.
  • edited March 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I only got Night of the Living Dead and Chariots of the Gods. Are the other three really well known in America or something?
    Depends on how old you are. :)

Get off my lawn!
  • edited March 2010
    (And Chariots of the Gods? is more famous as a book, but there was a movie made of it, so it fit the rules).
  • edited March 2010
    Sorry, I don't know that one.

After a check, it's called "Présence des Extra-terrestres" in French (Presence of Aliens) but I didn't know it in French either.
    Seems pretty accurate though considering the French title (I'm assuming it's about aliens). Good job on that one (and night on the raving dead, too).

EDIT: Since we're confessing things, I have absolutely no idea what that "Twilight Zone" everyone keeps talking about is.
  • edited March 2010
    The one I got inmediatly was Night of the Living Dead, mostly because "Muerto Viviente (Living Dead)" was our way to tell zombie before we knew the word zombie.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, living dead is how we say undead in French. But I'm so used to translating it "undead" that I didn't think it could be said "living dead" too.
    Also, I wasn't thinking about movies so anything short of obvious (to me) was going to be missed.
    I realised there were references to horror movies, just didn't realise the name of the episode was just two letters away from the title of a movie.
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    EDIT: Since we're confessing things, I have absolutely no idea what that "Twilight Zone" everyone keeps talking about is.
    An American anthology show from the early 60s. The stories all had science fiction-y premises, and many had a twist ending. It was so popular that it entered American pop culture and has been parodied or homaged approximately 482304 times.

The most well known story, which was called Time Enough At Last, was about an man who liked to read but never had the time. After becoming the last survivor of a nuclear holocaust, he had plenty of time to read without being disturbed, until his glasses fell off.

My favourite is the one where the Earth was spiralling into the sun, but in the end it turns out to be the main character's nightmare; the Earth is really moving away from the sun. I probably liked it because I like apocalypses and I was currently in the middle of a heatwave.
  • edited March 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    The most well known story, which was called Time Enough At Last, was about an man who liked to read but never had the time. After becoming the last survivor of a nuclear holocaust, he had plenty of time to read without being disturbed, until his glasses fell off.

I've seen that parodied in lot of American stuff, but never knew where it came from. I kind of assumed it was a short story of some sort (probably because short stories tend to have these kinds of twists). But now I know.
    Thanks!
  • edited March 2010
    I realised it for Night of The ravin' dead but not for the rest since I normally don't hear the english titles for movies. I did know the song "What's new Pussycat" by Tom Jones which seems to be on the soundtrack for the movie.
  • edited March 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    I realised it for Night of The ravin' dead but not for the rest since I normally don't hear the english titles for movies. I did know the song "What's new Pussycat" by Tom Jones which seems to be on the soundtrack for the movie.

Weird enough, I know it from there;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApyCGwajKiQ
Sign in to comment in this discussion.