sam and max S1 & S2 all crash

edited April 2010 in Game Support
I have seasons 1 and 2 installed on a win7 64 pc (all on Steam) and all of them crash when run.
I have updated the gfx driver, updated direct x, updated bios.
I disabled the sound to see if it was that.. no go.

PC specs
I5 750 cpu intel mobo
4 gigs of ram
ATI 5770 graphics card (10.3 catalyst)

I currently dont have many games installed on that box but for comparison Left 4 Dead works great.. from steam i mean.

I tested the same games on my Vista laptop and they ran fine. So it must be something on the win 7 pc..

Oh and i also tried turning dep off.. well i added the sammax exe to be excluded. and running a minimum config and also removing most of the usb devices bar a mouse.

anyone any ideas what could be causing this ?

regards

Tested on another Vista 64 PC .. all fine. This is frustrating !
Both the vista laptop and desktop pc's have nvidia gpu's so i am wondering if this is an ATI issue ?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    This is the crash report. It looks like its something to do with d3d8.dll ?
    Any idea what i can do ?

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: sammax101.exe
    Application Version: 0.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 46ca0512
    Fault Module Name: d3d8.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bd9a7
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0004e7d1
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 0d8c
    Additional Information 2: 0d8c18d93cba18ec7c3f39a2a4639b92
    Additional Information 3: b902
    Additional Information 4: b902ab790cc92214b86a72c494965688
  • edited March 2010
    dxdiag and 64bit version attached
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I don't see anything suspicious.
    Do you have LUA installed?
    Does the free episode you can download here work?
  • edited March 2010
    Doesn't the launcher DRM dislike 64-bit systems?

I am sure I mentioned somewhere mention that and that TTG had a fix for that somewhere... but they couldn't find that themselves either...?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Not that I know of. I'm running 64bit Win7 here at the office, and I've had very few problems loading older games. Besides, Steam shouldn't have any of our DRM anyway. It's all of their stuff, which uses the same DRM across all Steam games.
  • edited March 2010
    Not sure what LUA is to be honest, but after googling it, i assume you mean the programming language LUA ? !

no i dont have it installed, at least knowingly.

I will try out the downloadable one from the telltale site and report back.

thanks.
  • edited March 2010
    Ok tried the free download episode and that crashes too. So its not something particular to the steam versions.
  • edited March 2010
    Well i really dont know what to do now.. I'm out of options except to uninstall the games !
  • edited March 2010
    Could you try reinstalling DirectX again? Maybe there was some corruption in the d3d8.dll file that caused the error.

Get the installer from here.
  • edited March 2010
    d3d8.dll

is this something to do with directx 8 ?

I have reinstalled directx from microsoft and also from the sam and max steam folder.. for some reason there is a directx install folder in there.

for the sake of completness i am willing to install it again. I am also wondering if other directx 8 games are affected. I will also try installing a couple of other titles.
  • edited March 2010
    nb246 wrote: »
    d3d8.dll

is this something to do with directx 8 ?
    Yes.
    nb246 wrote: »
    for the sake of completness i am willing to install it again. I am also wondering if other directx 8 games are affected. I will also try installing a couple of other titles.
    It's worth a shot and shouldn't take much time to do the reinstall.
  • edited April 2010
    I reinstalled directx from the link given (Now reinstalled it three times) and still none of the games work on my windows7 64 pc.
    I also tried a couple of older games which had directx 8 in the system requirements and they worked fine..

well to be honest i have spent too long on this, I have uninstalled the games.

I can still play them from my vista laptop, guess thats where they will stay !
This discussion has been closed.