[Spring Sale] 50% off all Sam & Max Merchandise!

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
store-springsale.png

Sale Ends April 11th

Telltale is throwing one of their awesome sales again. This time, it's for all the wonderful Sam & Max merchandise in their store!

To help the prospective buyer out, I'm creating a guide of what can be bought, what the discounts are, and what I think are the most important things for a Sam and Max fan to get. The below items are listed from my favorite piece of merchandise to my least favorite. With that said, let's move on to....

Rather Dashing's Rather Helpful Guide to Sam and Max Merchandise!

1. Sam and Max: Surfin' the Highway

PUsIw.jpg

Was: $19.95
Now: $9.98

This is easily one of the best reprints of anything I've ever seen. Every time I pick it up, I'm amazed to see that there is no real renowned publisher of printed materials credited, just...Telltale Games. That this was done by a video game company makes what they've done here even more impressive.

The content is, of course, made up of the underground Sam and Max comics that started it all. Before this re-release came out, the original run of Surfin' the Highway was a sought-after gem that commanded extremely high prices on internet marketplaces. It has been lovingly restored from the originals, and wow does it show. The images in this blog post may be broken, but the text does a lot to explain how very much respect was paid to the material they were working with. The book itself is well-bound and the paper is of a good quality. I can't say enough good things about this book, and I doubt you really want me to go on too long, so I'll move on to the next item.

2. Sam and Max: Season Two Case File

s2_casefile_large.png

Was: $5.95
Now: $2.98

The Sam and Max case files are a very beloved part of my collection. The items themselves are of little value, but they're definitely worth the $2.98 asking price here. These won't last forever, and the price for them now is a steal. The highlights of this file are the mini-CD styled like an LP record that contains some exclusive audio bits, and a "soul token" coin. It reminds me of the Infocom "feelies" that gave tangible life to an otherwise unseen world, and that kind of love for the old adventure traditions really gets to me.

3. Sam and Max Soundtrack Bundle

soundtrack_bundle.png

Was: $29.95
Now: $14.98

Each of the soundtracks can be purchased individually for $9.98, discounted from $19.95 Buying both this way would cost $19.96

Jared-Emmerson Johnson deserves an award. He really does. He deserves a mountain of awards. The man has crafted one of history's very best video game scores, and it's saddening to know that his work is going to remain so under-appreciated on a wide scale simply due to the underground popularity of the series. The tracks in these soundtracks are extremely well put-together for listening purposes, the tracks are of an absurdly high quality, and they pack the discs to the brim with as much content as they can fit. These are some of the best-produced CDs in my collection, let alone CDs for video game soundtracks. The Steve Purcell artwork on the cases is, of course, beautiful. I bought this bundle for this price during the 50% off Wallace and Gromit sale, and I feel like I cheated the company. This is worth far more than I spent on it.

4. Highway Surfin' Poster Print

surfinprint_large.png

Was: $19.95(signed), $14.95(unsigned)
Now: $9.98(signed), $7.48(unsigned)

Telltale's prints are always of a really good quality. The stock they use is sturdy and the print itself is just marvelous. If you like the design, I can recommend the print. It has gone from a $5 difference between signed and unsigned to a $2.50 difference. This will probably sell out at one point in the future, like both of the Season prints.

The stuff I consider "Crap" begins here.

5. Flaming Max Hat

flamingmaxhat_black.png

Was: $15.95
Now: $7.98

It's a hat.

6. Max and Crossbones Shirt

skullshirt_large.png

Was: $18.95
Now: $9.48

It's a shirt.

7. Sam and Max Freelance Police: The Complete Animated Series

snmanimated-dvd_lg.png

Was: $24.95
Now: $12.48

Even at half off, it's only really a passable price for this. You can easily get this set less expensively from other online retailers. Easily the worst-priced item in Telltale's store, and this 50% off sale just aids in showing that. Right now, a couple new ones are less than this(even with shipping) from Amazon Marketplace sellers.

By the way, everything listed above in one cart costs a total of $67.83, with a signed poster print and the soundtracks together as a bundle.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    This is most helpful to me, Dashing. It's too bad they don't deliver to underwater Objectivist... paradises.
  • edited April 2010
    PUsIw.jpg

This is easily one of the best reprints of anything I've ever seen. Every time I pick it up, I'm amazed to see that there is no real renowned publisher of printed materials credited, just...Telltale Games. That this was done by a video game company makes what they've done here even more impressive.

I heartily agree Mr Dashing, kudos to *checks book* Jake, Doug, Mike and of course Steve because this collection really is nice, the artwork on the inside of the sleeve's just lovely. Plus the pages don't have that recycled toilet paper feel I usually associate with comic compendiums (is that the right word?)
  • edited April 2010
    I wonder how long this will go on... I get paid next friday.
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I wonder how long this will go on... I get paid next friday.
    Through April 11th. It was mentioned in the blog post about the sale and edited into my post beneath the banner.
  • edited April 2010
    cool... it looks like I will be buying a bunch more S&M stuff.... That means I will have to be extra charming to my wife whom doesn't understand my obsession with this stuff.
  • edited April 2010
    The only thing I might want is the case file, but the price reduction wouldn't cover the shipping so... I'll wait and see if they're still there when I order something else.
    I kinda wish I had bought it as part of my last order with free shipping. Didn't think to.
  • edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    The only thing I might want is the case file, but the price reduction wouldn't cover the shipping so... I'll wait and see if they're still there when I order something else.
    I kinda wish I had bought it as part of my last order with free shipping. Didn't think to.

I had a question related to this: since the Monkey Island dvd is still backordered, if we buy stuff now will this be included along in the Monkey Island shipping?

Cause if im still paying one shipping for all i might buy something.
  • edited April 2010
    Well since the >$50 deal is over, it wouldn't seem fair to get free shipping for stuff bought afterwards... Especially as part of a deal that only started now. That would be getting two deals at once when they were never offered at the same time.
  • edited April 2010
    While that would be awesome (I would get the comic), I hardly doubt TTG is going to allow that...

(But if they do for some crazy reason, inform me! ;P)
  • edited April 2010
    I've already bought all the Sam and Max merchandise I want from the store for now, but this is a great sale for those who had their eye on some Sam and Max stuff. Now would be the time for those people to grab it!

And this is a very helpful guide, Rather Dashing. And very descriptive too. Especially the hat and shirt.
  • edited April 2010
    Well, NOW I need a free shipping offer.

And that's why I'm afraid I have to let this offer go, too.
  • edited April 2010
    Auuugh. All the good stuff happens when I'm poor. *sob*
  • edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Well since the >$50 deal is over, it wouldn't seem fair to get free shipping for stuff bought afterwards... Especially as part of a deal that only started now. That would be getting two deals at once when they were never offered at the same time.

No, no, im not speaking about the free shipping offer. I got only the Monkey Island DVD along with the season 1 of S&M. I already payed for shipping, but those items are backorder.
    So my question is, if i buy stuff now, will that stuff be delivered along with the discs that are backorder (saving me a new shipping) or not.
  • edited April 2010
    Ignatius wrote: »
    No, no, im not speaking about the free shipping offer. I got only the Monkey Island DVD along with the season 1 of S&M. I already payed for shipping, but those items are backorder.
    So my question is, if i buy stuff now, will that stuff be delivered along with the discs that are backorder (saving me a new shipping) or not.
    You can probably have the disk order cancelled so that you could have the things shipped together if you e-mail support. Telltale's support is generally really good.
  • edited April 2010
    Dont know, seems like a lot of trouble. And i already payed for shipping,im afraid that if a cancel now maybe later when i order again, i ll have to pay again for it.

So i think i will stay cool and buy nothing.
  • edited April 2010
    Ignatius wrote: »

I tried this a few month ago mwhen I had preordered W&G:
    Unfortunately, I will not be able to add to the existing W&G order. It's not possible with the way our system...
  • edited April 2010
    $41 postage! o_o

I hope TellTale appreciates how much I love them.
  • edited April 2010
    $41 postage! o_o

I hope TellTale appreciates how much I love them.

That's why now I'm only buying at Free Shipping Promotions. Discounts are always fishy. Free International Shipping in the other hand... it's awesome.
  • edited April 2010
    Yay, my birthday is still to come before the 11th, I can convince my family to get me... Oh, wait, I already have all this XD but I have a green max hat and i want a black one...
  • edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    That's why now I'm only buying at Free Shipping Promotions. Discounts are always fishy. Free International Shipping in the other hand... it's awesome.

Yes. I was all excited to get the paperback book, then I realized that with shipping it just cost the EXACT same amount of monies it normally does, just without the shipping price hacked on.

Plus, I'm pretty much outta cash from my Season 3 preorder.

Grr... :mad:
  • edited April 2010
    Because of the sale I bought the following..... I was planning on eventually buying the book and the cartoons.... but the sale made it to good to pass up... the case file was tagged on because it was so cheap after the sale.... I figured what the heck.

Sam and Max: Surfin' the Highway

PUsIw.jpg

Sam and Max: Season Two Case File

s2_casefile_large.png

Sam and Max Freelance Police: The Complete Animated Series

snmanimated-dvd_lg.png
  • edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Free international shipping beats out any sale by far! :D This is a decent sale, but more likely one that gives the advantage to anyone local. The shipping one was awesome, and saved me sooo much. Buying $50 worth of items was well worth it. Unfortunately, the waiting time is my least favourite thing.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah I bought a ton of stuff and I have no real clue when I will actually see any of it.... cant say its the best way to do business
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Because of the sale I bought the following..... I was planning on eventually buying the book and the cartoons.... but the sale made it to good to pass up... the case file was tagged on because it was so cheap after the sale.... I figured what the heck.

Sam and Max: Surfin' the Highway

PUsIw.jpg

Sam and Max: Season Two Case File

s2_casefile_large.png

Sam and Max Freelance Police: The Complete Animated Series

snmanimated-dvd_lg.png

Ditto. Is your animated series backordered too?
  • edited April 2010
    That and a whole bunch of other things I had bought with the free shipping deal.... I am like a child and want my stuff now now now!!
  • edited April 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »
    Ditto. Is your animated series backordered too?

They ran out of stock.
    David E wrote: »
    Yeah, we ran out, and are ordering more of the discs right nowish. Sorry for the delay!
  • edited April 2010
    Heh, awesome! I ended up ordering Season 1 DVD earlier this week.
    Since I got Season 2 from the halloween contest, and I pre-ordered Devils Playhouse (and for sure will get the disc version too!), I figured my retail S1 box just wouldn't fit in the collection anymore. How evil!
    Shipping to Finland costed about the same as the discount was, but what the heck. I basically got free shipping! :)

Still dreaming of getting Season 2 soundtrack someday.. but this shall be enough for now. I won't over-stress my family, now that they finally won their fears over credit-card shopping. :D
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, it'd cost me 50% more to ship the book than the cost of the book itself. Boo.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Unfortunately I wasn't around for the last free shipping deal. I'd like to get the casefile, but spending $2.98 on that and $35 on the shipping would be nuts! Hopefully they'll still be around when the next free shipping thing comes along.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.