Pre-emptive Tech Support for Sam & Max 3

edited April 2010 in Game Support
I'm trying to figure out if my graphics card meets the specs for the new game. My laptop has a GeForce 9100M and according to the DirectX Diagnostic it has 1.4 gigs of memory, which sounds completely compatible, but I'm skeptical because I had to turn the graphics settings down to run TOMI without skipping (and Wallace & Gromit also for that matter). Is there some way I could determine if I'll be able to run the game now, or should I just wait for the demo?

In general I'm curious as to why my computer is telling me that I should be able to run the other games fine, but I have skipping errors on the high graphics setting. I have 3 gb of DDR2 Ram and an Athlon 64 Dual Core 2 gig processor if that helps...

Thanks

Comments

• edited April 2010
    The nvidia site shows the 9100M G as a budget card. Although it doesn't mind telling us the VRAM (has to be higher than 256 for S&M3).

In the Nvidia Center go to help- system specifications and look at memory (and just memory. Not memory clock like you seem to have noted down.
  • edited April 2010
    The nvidia site shows the 9100M G as a budget card. Although it doesn't mind telling us the VRAM (has to be higher than 256 for S&M3).

In the Nvidia Center go to help- system specifications and look at memory (and just memory. Not memory clock like you seem to have noted down.
    According to Wikipedia, the 9100M is one of nVidia's "Turbo[sic!] Cache" (ha!) clunkers, which can at most have 128MB of video memory.

To be honest, I really wouldn't expect it to be able to play the game smoothly at more than the lowest graphics settings, especially with all the realtime shadowing going on on the higher settings...

Then again - you can always try it and ask for a refund if it's unbearable to play.

np: Gonjasufi - She Gone (A Sufi And A Killer)
  • edited April 2010
    The _optimal_ SM3 specs are 256MB, but the minimum is 128. I found the information saying that these turbocache thingys can do 'up to 256', but the problem is 1) I don't like getting my technical specs off of wikipedia, i'd rather verify it based on my actual hardware and 2) I had problems running TOMI on high graphics settings and the optimal specs are 128mb - so 'up to' apparently doesn't apply normaly to my setup.

Either way, i'll still buy it. I've been a dedicated Sam & Max fan since the first game came out and I'm not going to let something like skipping graphics stop me... I eked out the first season on my old clunker of a laptop and I'm willing to begrudgingly repeat the experience.
  • edited April 2010

OK, I did that and the 'Dedicated Video Memory' is 256, while the 'System Video Memory' is 64. which one of those am I looking for?
  • edited April 2010
    Eh, no idea, mine says neither. Maybe that's a laptop thing.

I think it's 256, so that means you *can* run S&M3, just don't expect to crank up the settings really high.
This discussion has been closed.