IGN's Penal Zone Review... 7.2 -_-

13»

Comments

• edited April 2010
    That's a bit misleading. Out of all their games, only Viewtiful Joe had any sort of commercial success. It was honestly kind of a matter of time before they had to call it quits.

Oh absolutely, but I think people would rather blame God Hand rather than Okami.
    EDIT: By the way, anyone else notice that Imagine: Party Babiez ALSO had a higher score than the Penal Zone? OMG THAT MUST MEAN IMAGINE: PARTY BABIEZ IS THE SUPERIOR GAME

Best argument for actually reading the actual review, ain't it? I don't think some of the reviewers have a favorable understanding of how their review system works.
  • edited April 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    And since you apparently failed to read my main point, I could easily say the same of you.
    Sorry, I actually did read your spiel and did agree for the most part, I just didn't address it.
    I don't see how that is me being an internet toughguy (if I was trying to be tough I would just tell you to shut your f***ing mouth & agree with me or I'll beat your ass) but okay.
    lol.
    When they are charging such a price you can. I know that you want to defend the little guys & that is somewhat honorable (if not a little naive), but that doesn't change the fact that they aren't on the same level & therefore should not be rated equally. You are just arguing for the sake of arguing now... see I don't know..

I'm not just standing up for the little guy. If I really thought that what I was delivered was not worth my 9 bucks worth of game episode from the company I knowingly bought from, I wouldn't be here buying more games.

My main point:

Number reviews simply don't work. Different things should be reviewed in different ways. There is no universal way to review everything.
  • edited April 2010
    Of course you could, but it might be cruel to the 15 year old (or to the professional as the case may be).

Honestly, the case that I think is being made is that you can judge something by how well it does what it does. Sam & Max entertains, frustrating controls, glitches and the like all detract from its core purpose. Its ability to perform its core function is something that is comparable. The fact that Telltale is small is only semi-relevant context that serves to temper expectations, but it shouldn't be an excuse.

I just realised that you beat me to it... jerkface =P
  • edited April 2010
    @roberttitus: You have got to get yourself onto a computer, wordcap is absolutely murdering your posts now.

I know right? My laptop broke, so I am stuck using my PS3 until I can get a replacement
  • edited April 2010
    When they are charging such a price you can.
    Ehm? Just 35 dollar?
    I know some games that give the same (See MWII again) for 60 EURO. Actually, most games do. Some are worth it, most aren't, hence I usually wait for the budget bin.

And the TTG engine not being as well-optimised as Source, UE3 or Crysis? I am shocked... truly.
  • edited April 2010
    Ehm? Just 35 dollar?
    I know some games that give the same (See MWII again) for 60 EURO. Actually, most games do. Some are worth it, most aren't, hence I usually wait for the budget bin.

And the TTG engine not being as well-optimised as Source, UE3 or Crysis? I am shocked... truly.

Just let it die friend... no use in beating a horse that has been chopped up, cremated & then buried for good measure.
  • edited April 2010
    A 7 is a really average/good game. That's a good score.
  • edited April 2010
    Hey guys, let's all keep the discussions at least civil if not friendly. Remember it's not worth lobbing personal insults at anyone over a videogame.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm waiting for the MixnMojo review myself. But I won't read it until after I've played. I've already bought the whole season, so reading episode reviews will be more about seeing what other people thought -- considering their own positive or negative points and comparing them to mine -- than deducing if a given episode was any good. I'd rather make that call myself. ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Chuck wrote: »
    Hey guys, let's all keep the discussions at least civil if not friendly. Remember it's not worth lobbing personal insults at anyone over a videogame.

I don't recall anyone doing so
  • edited April 2010
    I don't recall anyone doing so

To be fair, if you do a quick look, it's looks like. Of course, when you read, you notice that it never goes out of hand.
  • edited April 2010
    I tend to actually rely more on adventure game specific sites for reviews, they have more my mentality and the experience with the genre than places that review everything and anything.

still, 7 isn't a bad score, especially not for the first game of the season (which often seems to be the weakest, go figure)
    In fact, the review seemed pretty positive so yay!
    Looking forward to this.
  • edited April 2010
    Perhaps we should have a new system. "Thumbs up" - worth playing, "meh" - If you have the time, not bad. "Thumbs down" - Not enjoyable, avoid and "barge pole" - Don't touch even with one.
  • edited April 2010
    still, 7 isn't a bad score, especially not for the first game of the season (which often seems to be the weakest, go figure)
    In fact, the review seemed pretty positive so yay!
    Looking forward to this.

I thought it was always the SECOND episode. Oh well...
  • edited April 2010
    Falanca wrote: »

Me too.

Ok, I feel uneasy right now.

But the fourth one is always awesome, right?

right?

I don't care, I already pre-ordered, dammit!
  • edited April 2010
    Perhaps we should have a new system. "Thumbs up" - worth playing, "meh" - If you have the time, not bad. "Thumbs down" - Not enjoyable, avoid and "barge pole" - Don't touch even with one.

I feel somewhat partial to the 'salivate', 'buy', 'rent', 'pass', 'burn with fire' grade system.

First is usually the most...off. Second becomes the fixer episode.
  • edited April 2010
    Everyone has their "systems", but I think it's full of poppycock. I also think that, in many cases, people end up creating self-fulfilling prophecies where they feel like they're not going to like an episode as much before they even play it. That, or people color their own opinions by the end of a season, and people like to establish rules and order onto things. My favorite and least favorite episodes for all series are all over the place.
  • edited April 2010
    7.2 is a good score. i have a telltale tuseday coupon so ill be using that to pick this up. then if i like it, season upgrade! or win 4 more telltale tuesdays.
  • edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    But the fourth one is always awesome, right?

Indeed!
    First is usually the most...off. Second becomes the fixer episode.

Well... Midtown Cowboys, ocean chimps or merpeople didn't really fix anything for me. Maybe Homestarmy made me giggle a little.
    Everyone has their "systems", but I think it's full of poppycock. I also think that, in many cases, people end up creating self-fulfilling prophecies where they feel like they're not going to like an episode as much before they even play it. That, or people color their own opinions by the end of a season, and people like to establish rules and order onto things. My favorite and least favorite episodes for all series are all over the place.

It ALWAYS has a pattern and it kinda makes me think, you know. First episodes are good enough, second episodes are boring, third episodes are better than first episodes, fourth episodes (and S&M S1 5th episode) are the bests in their seasons, and finale episodes are better than third episodes.

But I'm totally sure this generalization will be kicked in the gut in Sam and Max Season 3. Villain of the second episode looks really cool.
  • edited April 2010
    It ALWAYS has a pattern and it kinda makes me think, you know. First episodes are good enough, second episodes are boring, third episodes are better than first episodes, fourth episodes (and S&M S1 5th episode) are the bests in their seasons, and finale episodes are better than third episodes.

But I'm totally sure this generalization will be kicked in the gut in Sam and Max Season 3. Villain of the second episode looks really cool.
    Let's see if there's a pattern in my tastes!

S&M: Season One
    Best - 106: Bright Side of the Moon
    Worst: 101: Culture Shock

S&M: Season Two
    Best - 204: Chariots of the Dogs
    Worst - 202: Moia Better Blues

SBCG4AP
    Best: Homestar Ruiner(maybe 102: Strong Badia the Free)
    Worst: 104: Dangeresque 3

Wallace and Gromit
    Best: 101: Fright of the Bumblebees(Maybe 104: The Bogey Man)
    Worst: 102: Last Resort

Tales of Monkey Island
    Best: Chapter 3: Lair of the Leviathon
    Worst: Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Not seeing a pattern. Maybe if I ranked them from most to least liked, and charted it out, and found some generalized trend information? =P
  • edited April 2010
    Worst: 104: Dangeresque 3

It's my favorite episode! :(
  • edited April 2010

And, for some reason, I'm really partial to Culture Shock.

Nope, personal preferences are a problem, but maybe with enough data, you could found a pattern.
  • edited April 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    And, for some reason, I'm really partial to Culture Shock.
    I don't hate Culture Shock, or even dislike it. I think it's the weakest, but it has some really great puzzle ideas. The sitcom puzzle was great.
  • edited April 2010
    I don't hate Culture Shock, or even dislike it. I think it's the weakest, but it has some really great puzzle ideas. The sitcom puzzle was great.

I believe is the weakest too, but, for some reason it's my favorite! I don't know why!

Personal tastes do not define actual quality, trust me!
  • edited April 2010
    The sitcom puzzle was great.
    Ehm... isn't that one in "Situation: Comedy", not "Culture Shock"?
  • edited April 2010
    Ehm... isn't that one in "Situation: Comedy", not "Culture Shock"?
    Oh, crap. You're right. Sorry.

Which was the puzzle I loved in episode 101? Oh, oh, the dream sequence. That was awesome.
  • edited April 2010
    Which one of the 2? (Or both?)
  • edited April 2010
    Which one of the 2? (Or both?)
    I'm talking about the puzzle where you have to get rid of all the Brady Culture heads and especially the Max's head bit.
  • edited April 2010
    After Sam is hypnotized by Brady and knocked out by BTADS.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, I figured it would have been that one, but you might have also meant the ADS sympton dream-sequence with Sybil...

Like said, there were 2 ;).
  • edited April 2010

mine too. The best episode by telltale EVER.

My "Charts"
    S&M Season 1
    best: 105 Reality 2.0
    worst: 103 mole mob meatball

S&M Season 2
    best: 201 Ice Station Satan Santa
    worst: 202 Moi Better Blues
    Strong Bad
    Best: 104 Dangeresque 3
    Worst: 103 Baddest Of The Bands

Wallace & Grommit
    Best: 103 Muzzled