S&M S3E1 Could not initialize Direct3D

edited April 2010 in Game Support
Hi there,

I just wanted to start playing my The Penal Zone...

But all i get is:
"Could not initialize Direct3D" and a white Screen

Specs:
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Processor
8192MB RAM
GFX: XFX Radeon HD 5770 (1GB)
Windows 7 64bit

I have enclosed my DxDiag.txt
Please help me so that I can finally play S&M again :(

Greetings,

Maui :(

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Did you run the DirectX Updater?

I'm not sure what your dxdiag shows there. Is it two identical graphics cards or just one with two identical displays?
    Either way, have you tried using just one?

There's a new Realtek HDA driver for you too.
  • edited April 2010
    It is one Graphicscard with two displays attached via DVI.
    And yes I did run the DirectX Updater
  • edited April 2010
    I just deactivated the second Screen via the Catalyst Control Center and the game started working.

Is ATI's HydraVision feature known to cause problems with TTG's Engine? My previous nVidia graphics card ran all TTG games just fine, despite having two displays :(
  • edited April 2010
    I have a 4650 and 2 monitors and got the same generic message. Other Telltale games work fine. I unplugged the 2nd monitor and it works now, but it took me quite a while to find this post to know what the problem was.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Maui wrote: »
    I just deactivated the second Screen via the Catalyst Control Center and the game started working.

Is ATI's HydraVision feature known to cause problems with TTG's Engine? My previous nVidia graphics card ran all TTG games just fine, despite having two displays :(

It was just a guess on my part. At least now you have a workaround so you can play until there is a better solution.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, I also had the same problem with my Radeon 5870 - though for me either switching my main 1280x1024 17" panel to 1024x768 (which is inacceptable, and it crashed as soon as I switched back to 1280x1024 in game) or disabling the other two screens (1680x1050 21" TFT and a 800x600 projector) made the game work.

But still - could we have some multi-monitor-configuration love please? Also, who can develop software without using more than one monitor? :)

Also, come to think of it - shouldn't the game have created an icon in Windows 7's Game Explorer? Because I can't find one...
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Stange. Almost everyone here has multiple monitors, but I don't think anyone has that video card. I'll see if we can find one to test on...
  • edited April 2010
    Here's a DxDiag.txt if it helps...
  • edited April 2010
    I have a single monitor and I get the initialize error and a "sorry the error is not recoverable". When I installed I chose the check directx option and it installed so I got nothing. I'm using an Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family.

Thanks
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    bigoldearl wrote: »
    I have a single monitor and I get the initialize error and a "sorry the error is not recoverable". When I installed I chose the check directx option and it installed so I got nothing. I'm using an Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family.

Have you tried updating your graphics driver?
    Can you post a dxdiag log?

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited April 2010
    I had the same Direct3D issue when trying to run S&M S3E1. 7 Ultimate, Radeon HD 4800, 2 displays, latest directx and display drivers. It only worked when I disabled one of my monitors.
  • edited April 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Have you tried updating your graphics driver?
    Can you post a dxdiag log?

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.

Here's the file....

Thanks
  • edited April 2010
    Same as everyone else here. Game will not init with dual screens (extended desktop in my case) enabled. Disable one and it loads fine.

:-(

I should have bought the ipad version... :-( These multi configuration pc's are just getting downright silly! Heh.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Here's the file....
    Card name: Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
    Driver Date/Size: 7/21/2006 18:11:46, 48128 bytes

You are running some really old graphics drivers. Try this one.
  • edited April 2010
    :( i wnated to start the demo auf it but it didn´t work out. I get the same error
    i just downloaded the new driver please help me
    (here the dxdiag)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Deny wrote: »
    :( i wnated to start the demo auf it but it didn´t work out. I get the same error
    i just downloaded the new driver please help me
    (here the dxdiag)

Try setting your display color depth to 32 bit.

You can also install the latest Realtek HDA Audio driver.
  • edited April 2010
    You are running some really old graphics drivers. Try this one.

Updated and it does start but man is it lagtastic. Probably should have just bought the PS3 version. Thanks for the help.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Updated and it does start but man is it lagtastic. Probably should have just bought the PS3 version. Thanks for the help.

That was to be expected, because you just have a slow integrated graphics chip.
    You can try setting the graphics quality to 1 and if that's not enough reduce the resolution.

Also, according to the specs your System has a PCIe x16 slot. That means you can upgrade your graphics card and get the game running at good performance. Even really cheap recent graphics cards will do a lot better.
  • edited April 2010
    Try setting your display color depth to 32 bit.

You can also install the latest Realtek HDA Audio driver.

okay to set the display to 32 bit helped. I thought i did that before playing. (I can´t use 32bit regular, because my dispaly starts to flicker:mad:)
    Thnaks
    Deny
  • edited April 2010
    I have the same problem. All of Telltale's other games have been rock-solid, and so, hopefully they release a patch soon.

I found that if you disable monitors like others have done, the game works fine. If you are content with changing the game so that it plays in a window, then you can re-enable the other monitors and play the game normally.

While I am a little disappointed with this bug, the game now plays well for me (in a window), and so far, it is just as good as the other adventures.

(Specs include triple monitor setup with ati 5850, so it's either a multi-monitor or an ati issue)
  • edited April 2010
    I know you guys busted a hump putting this thing together but if I run S2 fine I thought maybe I would be able to move to the new season seamlessly. I know components change but the reason I liked Sam and Max had precious little to do with jaw-dropping graphics. Now I'm probably going to end up shelling out another 30 bucks to play the PS3 version. Good business for you short term, not so good long term.

Big Old Earl
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Now I'm probably going to end up shelling out another 30 bucks to play the PS3 version. Good business for you short term, not so good long term.

If you don't want to upgrade your graphics card you can email support for a refund.
  • edited April 2010
    If you don't want to upgrade your graphics card you can email support for a refund.
    That would be great but I just want to swap it out. Is that possible at all?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    That would be great but I just want to swap it out. Is that possible at all?

Sure. You can buy and install a PCIe x16 Graphics card.
    I would recommend a ATI Radeon 4670/5570 or better.
    If you just want to get it to run cheaper ones will do too. If you want the maximum graphics details I would buy something in that performance range or above though.
  • edited April 2010
    Sure. You can buy and install a PCIe x16 Graphics card.
    I would recommend a ATI Radeon 4670/5570 or better.
    If you just want to get it to run cheaper ones will do too. If you want the maximum graphics details I would buy something in that performance range or above though.

I meant I wanted to just swap out the pc version for the ps3 version.

Thanks
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    I meant I wanted to just swap out the pc version for the ps3 version.

I don't know, but i think it's unlikely that TTG has that kind of control over the PSN store. You'll know for sure if you e-mail support.
This discussion has been closed.